Window Trim

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
macsailor65
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Window Trim

Post by macsailor65 »

The brown vinyl trim around my windows is coming unglued. Does anyone know what type of glue I should use to glue them back in place? I tried a hot glue gun and its was a mess.

Thanks,
Bob
Russ
Admiral

Re: Window Trim

Post by Russ »

We don't have that nice window trim on our Mac.

Hot glue will never work. Interior temps will heat up and melt it for sure.

I would use silicone caulk. Stuff will generally adhere well to most surfaces and can be cut off with a razor if you ever want.
In fact, I used silicone caulk to attach a piece of wood to the fiberglass hull that I mounted a pressure pump to. It's been solid for 7 years and absorbs vibration.

--Russ
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Window Trim ?? ?

What is "Window Trim" ? ?

What is the function again? I must have forgotten.

I thought you only needed something to block the windows so the patrols could not see inside and catch your contraband, what does the trim do? Is it to confuse the patrols?
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

BOAT wrote:Window Trim ?? ?

What is "Window Trim" ? ?

What is the function again? I must have forgotten.

I thought you only needed something to block the windows so the patrols could not see inside and catch your contraband, what does the trim do? Is it to confuse the patrols?
Before 2008, Macgregor used wood (or fake wood I don't know) trim around the windows.

New look
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

What is it for? Is it real sturdy so it gives you a place to screw on the shades and stuff? Is that what they are for?
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

here,s the window frames I designed & made
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab1/ ... G_1020.jpg

Installed with rivit nuts & brass screws
http://vid844.photobucket.com/albums/ab ... G_1053.mp4

heres my drape tracks \
http://vid844.photobucket.com/albums/ab ... 7c0537.mp4

here,s my cubbie cabinets also they will be hopefully finished in the late spring
http://vid844.photobucket.com/albums/ab ... dcv5ff.mp4

J 8)
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

That's some fancy cutting!
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

John,

I very much enjoy the look of the wood window trim on my :macm:
Image, but your use of brass screws is even more attractive. They add a real quality, up scale look to the boat. Nicely done.

Ray
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Yes, I think they do seem to add a bit of style to the windows - they look pretty nice - I was just wondering if they had a reason for putting them on for a structure for window treatments or something because i know that when i put the shades in 'boat' I had to attach wood strips inside under the liner to give the shades something to attach to - the fiberglass liner is not really there for attaching stuff - it's just a "skin". (I guess it's a cheaper way to finish a boat instead of upholstering everything or putting carpet everywhere - and it's cleaner too).

Seems like all moderns boat have the 'skin' liners now. So can you attach stuff to those "trims"? That would be handy.
Russ
Admiral

Post by Russ »

BOAT wrote: So can you attach stuff to those "trims"? That would be handy.
Sure. I do it all the time.

Here, I mounted curtain track that provided a sliding mount for the cubbies that we store junk in.
The actual curtains need to be redone. My idea was to use a wire as a track. Didn't work well.
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

You can attach items that will experience light loading directly to the liner, with self tapping screws. The liner is different thicknesses in different places. The ceiling liner is thicker then the side liner. I screwed the mounting for my overhead cubbies directly to the liner using short self tapping screws.
Not sure how you got your wooden strips up behind the liner, but for the top windows it looks like more effort them I'm willing to make.
Fun trivia fact: the liner on my boat has a couple of moulded in distortions around the windows. Anyone else have that?

Ix
Brian
Engineer
Location: Austin, TX 2006 26M "Soñador" white hull MACM0852G506 TLDI 90

Post by Brian »

Getting back to the original topic. I had the same problem on my 2006 :macm: with the brown vinyl trim around the windows coming unglued.

I used Gorilla glue, and it seems to have done the trick. It has lasted for more than a year already.
mastreb
Admiral

Post by mastreb »

3M VHB Tape also works well for lightly loaded items.
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

rivit nuts with nice counter sunk brass screws is a more permanent fix :arrow: :idea:
Just saying
J 8)
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

BOAT wrote:What is it for? Is it real sturdy so it gives you a place to screw on the shades and stuff? Is that what they are for?

The trim has one function, only one function. It is there for design, and that's all. What you do with it is up to an owner.

Some don't enjoy that look at all. Me, I thought the window trim gave a nice look to a rather clean, stark appearance.

Ray