what do you use to remove black mold stains

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

1-Tntimbo
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

what do you use to remove black mold stains

Post by 1-Tntimbo » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:37 pm

What is the best way to remove black mildue lor mold stains?
T

RobertB
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: what do you use to remove black mold stains

Post by RobertB » Wed Mar 25, 2015 5:54 pm

It all depends what you need to remove them from. Recommend going to a marine store and matching a product to your needs. Many will say bleach but there is one line of thought that bleach wipes only remove - not kill. From my current work in defense biomed detection, I understand that bleach needs to stay in contact (wet) for a period of time (minutes) to work. Bleach also does bad things to many fabrics and some plastics/rubber.

1-Tntimbo
Engineer

Post by 1-Tntimbo » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:29 pm

???

The problem is located on the rear of my 26x, on fiberglass starrboard side above ladder.

They are mold/mildue stains from marina. Parked in shade?
Didn't notice it much last year.

Would like to get it under control.
T

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:29 pm

When I was a medical supply rep, we were told bleach will kill HIV. I believe it is safe to use bleach on fiberglass. I hope so, since I have use it there myself. :evil:

On vegetation I now use Slimy Grimy. I have used it for a few years now. If you follow the directions, I believe you will get good results. I use the granular form and mix it with warm water in a garden sprayer. It works quickly. What does not come off with the Slimy Grimy, comes off with a scrub brush with little effort. Look at their web site and see if it works on mold. http://slimygrimy.com/ I can't say enough about the stuff.
Ray

cptron
Captain
Location: Hattiesburg MS. "Storm Walker" 2011 26m with ETech 60

Post by cptron » Wed Mar 25, 2015 10:39 pm

We put the boat up thinking we would be back in a week or two and that was last October. When we finally visited the boat we found mildew and mold every where. the whole liner looked to be covered with the stuff and the cushions were covered with it. A guy from Green Home Solutions (I think) came out and used a vaporized enzyme in the boat and after 48 hours the liner looked like new without any additional cleaning and the cushions are coming clean with a cheap mildew cleaner from Wal-Mart. He said if that did not work then he has some biodegradable safe cleaner that should work if the cheap stuff didn't. The only caveat is that it's $150.00 a gallon.

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:03 am

U will need to remove all the liner plugs & spray a bathroom / kitchen mold mildew cleaner in there & also around into the inside of the liner @ all window edges at the liner to try & kill all that mildew & mold in between the cabin roof & liner
I run a 12" dia. dehumidifier in the boat from late fall to early spring

J 8)

Buell_S1W
Chief Steward

Post by Buell_S1W » Thu Mar 26, 2015 12:22 am

Hi, the mold being on the outside, I'd recommend "wet and forget" from wetandforget.com We have it here in New Zealand too & it really is that easy. Spray it on the boat & let the rain do the rest over time.

tlgibson97
First Officer

Post by tlgibson97 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 5:54 am

The best stuff I have ever seen is a brand called Zep mold and mildew remover. I spray it on anything with mold or mildew and wait 5 min. Anywhere it touches the gelcoat is bright white. I'll use a stiff brush to work it into the nonskid or any particularly bad area and let it sit a few minutes then hose it off. I'm going to bathe the entire deck and cockpit with it this weekend. I think it even worked well to get wine stains out.

kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:47 am

! kmclemore:
Two identical topics merged into one.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Thu Mar 26, 2015 6:52 am

tlgibson97 wrote:The best stuff I have ever seen is a brand called Zep mold and mildew remover. I spray it on anything with mold or mildew and wait 5 min. Anywhere it touches the gelcoat is bright white. I'll use a stiff brush to work it into the nonskid or any particularly bad area and let it sit a few minutes then hose it off. I'm going to bathe the entire deck and cockpit with it this weekend. I think it even worked well to get wine stains out.
Thanks for that tip! I'll try it this spring.

I usually just apply elbow grease, and don't usually think of better living through chemistry, though I don't know why. :|

Seriously. I've got to make better use of what little energy I seem to have these days. :D :D :D

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Thu Mar 26, 2015 4:15 pm

I have used Publix brand mildew remover in a spray bottle I get at the grocery store. It has a little bleach in it. I spray the area with water, if it is topside, otherwise I go straight with the spray. I let is sit on the mildew for about a minute; brush it (topside) or wipe it (below decks) moderately and then rinse it off. I have used it below decks and topside with very good results for many years. My boat typically is moored at a slip in fresh water in Central Florida, so mildew is something I think about when I stow things below. I try not to put anything wet below at all. Thankfully, mildew and mold are not major factors in my life since I found this stuff was so effective and so inexpensive. :)

yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:41 am

After scrubbing the interior carpet I ended up spraying on a coat of scotchguard and has reduced mildew growth quite a bit and any that does show up cleans up much easier

1-Tntimbo
Engineer

Post by 1-Tntimbo » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:03 am

I found a product called On & Off Hull and Bottom cleaner at Bass Pro shop that I bought a year ago to clean the bottom of my boat.

I never used it since I changed my mind and decided to apply new bottom paint.

It states it will not damage gel coat on the container, apply with soft brush and rinse.

Worked beautifully on areas that I had worked on for hours previously, with little or no success. Almost magical!
I bought a couple of the products (Slimey Grimey & Zep) but have not used them.

Will save them for later.
T