I hate the OEM blue carpet in my X

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

1-Tntimbo
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

I hate the OEM blue carpet in my X

Post by 1-Tntimbo » Sat Apr 04, 2015 10:51 am

I found a patio & garage are rug at Lowes as kind of a dark charcoal gray color for about $20. It is supposed to be for indoor/outdoor use so should work OK. Easily cut to size with sharp scissors.

Looks a lot better than that blue stuff, but still not completely satisfied.

Has anybody tried laminate hardwood? I got a advertisement from a local flooring company offering 12mm teak laminate with a 15 year warranty for .57 cents/sq ft.

Not really intended for marine use but folks put it in their kitchens all the time. It comes in 24.5 sq ft boxes, so 2 should easily do the whole boat. I is not heavy at all.
T

Chinook
Admiral

Re: I hate the OEM blue carpet in my X

Post by Chinook » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:10 am

I've seen a holly and teak look alike in vinyl type material with non skid surface at BWY. If you want to move away from carpet, I'd definitely give that stuff a look.

RobertB
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by RobertB » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:39 am

Highly recommend you search the forum - this is discussed regularly.
My summary: This area is a mold problem waiting to happen. It is also an area to trap moisture and needs to be easily cleanable. Nothing at the local hardware store will work well. Anything organic will rot/warp/culture mold. My wife hated the carpet from the start. My research led me to install a marine product specific for this application. Lonseal sheet flooring from Defender. It looks good, is non-slip when wet, does not mold, easy to clean, and easy to install (used double sided carpet tape under and silicone sealer on the edges).Image

RussMT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by RussMT » Sat Apr 04, 2015 11:40 am

I used cheap laminate hardwood from lowes. Easy to cut and install. It slid around a bit so probably need something under it to hold it in place.

In the end I ripped it all out. Dirt and junk would fall into the edges and I didn't like the feel on bare feet. I'm going to buy a cheap rug and cut it to fit. Replace every other year if necessary.

I still have original carpet. Stuff is so junky. It flattens down and shows every spec of lint.

March
Captain

Post by March » Sat Apr 04, 2015 12:03 pm

I have removed all carpet except the piece under the table--easily removable and shaken overboard, to get rid of the crumbs. It doesn't bother me to walk on bare fiberglass, as long as it is gel-coated and not too sharp. It's much easier to clean with a mini dust-pan and a mini-brush, and then swab it with water.
In the cockpit, I have those interlocking squares that seem to work just fine. I had to change them once, having become too enthusiastic with the power washer: the spray managed to dislodge quite a number of little "rubber feet" on the other side.. Now I use a mere hose and a brush on the upper side. They dry up quickly.
Still thinking about making a wooden grid around the engine well that would cover all the hardware and cables. If it looks good, I might expand the wooden floor area, but for the time being, the interlocking squares work for me

Wind Chime
Captain
Location: Vancouver, B.C. Canada. 2000-26X, Suzuki-50hp, 8' Walker-Bay tender (with sailkit)

Post by Wind Chime » Sat Apr 04, 2015 1:44 pm

After several outdoor carpet replacements, I changed to automobile carpet. Glued it to rubber mat backing for stability and to stop from sliding. If its designed to be durable on the floor of cars and trucks, I thought it should hold up fairly well onboard. 3rd year and still looks like new.

Azzarac
First Officer
Location: "Chameleon" in the Middle of the Mid-West w/Honda BF50

Post by Azzarac » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:53 pm

http://svchameleon.weebly.com/cabin-sol ... hions.html Looks great. Installs easily. Cheap. Can be lifted out for cleaning underneath. No mold issues after 3 seasons and comes in different flavors. You can find all the info on the link above.