Used 26X mast

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Yankepilot
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Used 26X mast

Post by Yankepilot »

Anyone know where there is a used mast for a 1996 26X for sale? Or who to talk to about used macgregor masts? I'm located near Fort Hood Texas and they don't do much sailing in these parts. I would even consider using a 26M mast if one was available for sale. Especially if all the rigging was there already.
Thank you in advance for reading my thread.
David P. Thoresen
RGF
Engineer

Re: Used 26X mast

Post by RGF »

craigslist Texas?
Yankepilot

Post by Yankepilot »

Yeah,

I have been looking no luck as of yet.

David T
mikelinmon
First Officer

Post by mikelinmon »

We have the 26M masts available, $1,900 or carbon fiber masts at $2,990... The carbon mast will weigh 60% of aluminum mast and the top portion is 30% of aluminum. It is much easier to raise, feeling about half of the force. Your boat will sail much more upright and faster with less weight aloft.
Mike Inmon,
MacGregor sales at the factory
310 621-2206
Retcoastie
Captain

Post by Retcoastie »

I have a second, used 26X mast. I bought it in Ft Stewart, FL for a Canadian friend who had snagged a tree limb while launching at Homestead FL some years ago. He returned it on his way north after the winter season. It has been hanging in my barn for ten years anyway. I probably won't need it as my sailing days are getting few and far between.

I am located in Southeast Kentucky and would part with it for $400.00.

Ken
e_riv

Post by e_riv »

Ken,

Would you still have that mast avaliable? I'm in Knoxville and looking for a mast for my 26x. Or would anyone else know of any used ones in the area?

Ernest
ecossebob
Deckhand

Post by ecossebob »

Hi.
My 26X did not have a mast and I could not afford a new one. I discovered several of the older 25' Mac's used the same mast as the 26X, so I looked around Craig's List etc and found several available.
I finally bought a complete boat for $300.00. I removed what I needed and gave the hull away to a guy who planned to use it as a water tank, for which he did all the hauling.
I used the trailer to transport the mast etc then sold it. Net no cost to me just some time.
Look around there are lots owner's of older boats who's wives would be glad to give them away.
Good luck.
Bob.
81venture
Captain

Post by 81venture »

I used to have a Venture of Newport 23

I sold it, but then I bought another one for parts shortly after I bought my X

I sold the other venture, but realized the mast on the spare Venture was the exact same size and extrusion as what was on my X so i hung on to it and sold the Venture with a different mast from another sailboat I scrapped

So my point is to look around Craigslist in your area....it prob wouldn't be very difficult to find a whole boat for around $400- $500 with a mast that will work...and maybe other nifty parts

dave
Retcoastie
Captain

Post by Retcoastie »

Ernest,

Sorry, but the mast I had went to Fort Hood TX. The OP, David, drove up here, got it, and turned right back around to Texas. A long drive so I hope it is serving him well.

Ken
e_riv

Post by e_riv »

Thanks for the info. I'll keep looking around this area..don't seem to be many around here, but guess that's not too surprising.
Three Gypsies
First Officer

Post by Three Gypsies »

I have a mast for a 2000 26X with sails and a furler jib .
I would sell for a fair price .
But I am in Montgomery Ala .

is a 2000 and a 1996 the same ?
ris
Captain

Post by ris »

3 gypsies how are you doing? Hope all is well with you two. Are you basically landlubbers now or are you going to do trips around Alabama?
e_riv

Post by e_riv »

Three gypsies,

Sent you an email..Let me know if you got it. Thanks,

Ernest
jstyers
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by jstyers »

3 gypsies, your boat wouldn't happen to be in a slip at Lake Martin would it?

Jeff
Three Gypsies
First Officer

Post by Three Gypsies »

We converted our 26X into a MacTrawler . I roofed over the cockpit and installed (upgraded) to 260 watts of solar cells .

She has her Honda 50 as our main engine and a motor mount for an auxiliary electric 55lb thrust motor , for get home emergencies .

Last year we trailered her down from Montgomery , to Indiantown Fl /Indiantown Marina , east of Lake Okeechobee . From there we went up the east coast to Savannah Ga . From there is it was back down the coast all the way to Key West .

We can now say we have cruised every coastline of Florida !

This year , we plan to stay close to home . We are going to cruise down the Alabama river to Mobile . From Mobile heading east to Apalachicola , stopping at all of our favorite places , along the way , such as Ft McRee in Pensacola bay , and Port St Joe .