mac vs hunter edge ????

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
bahama bound
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

mac vs hunter edge ????

Post by bahama bound »

I have not seen a edge in person ! Out of curiosity ,I was wondering how they would stack up against a x or m ? Saw one listed and since I have not physically seen one for myself I thought about looking at it ? It would have to blow my socks off for me to switch ,"which I seriously doubt it would " if I bought one ,first thing I would do is switch the etec 90 off mine for the etec 75 that comes with the edge ????
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Re: mac vs hunter edge ????

Post by Catigale »

My impression is much higher build quality, with attendant higher price.
Russ
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Russ »

Catigale wrote:My impression is much higher build quality, with attendant higher price.

+1
Obelix
Captain

Post by Obelix »

Better finish quality on the Edge, more space and standing room in the :macm: .

Obelix
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Yes better quality for closer to three times the price up here in Canada, but nothing that a little TLC & some mods could not take care of , they are a little wider with a bigger cockpit if my memory serves me right, so sacrificing cabin space & about a 3ft V-Bunk strictly for storage of very little kid,s

Keep my :macm: for sure :arrow: :idea: :) more livable cabin space for sure

J 8)
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

I think I sailed past one of those.
Msybe they didn't know how to sail...
I looked at all the available trailer power sailors. I could have bought a used edge but
It draws more, and seems like it had less room.
I did not like the layout.
The Catalina was pretty nice but much heavier. The cosmetic finish was nicer but my boat gets used a lot and crappy gelcoat scratches just like nice gelcoat.
Id like to see how those to boats stack up for shallow water sailing against the macs. That's extremely important to me.
Ix
sirlandsalot
Engineer

Post by sirlandsalot »

IThe hunter is a far nicer vessle, The crafsmanship and materials are not even comparable with a Mac. The cockpit is huge, steps down the transome to the water, and still a good sized rear birth. The draft is only 18 inches like a Mac but the ballast is 1600 lbs compared to the 1250lbs of a Mac. It sails far better and still can motor 20 mph.

I love my Mac but would trade my Mac for one in a second...the downside, the price is WAY more than a Mac, but you get what you pay for.
bahama bound
Captain

Post by bahama bound »

I was offered a really nice one ,well equipped for around $27,500 ,had a new $7000 trailer ,3 states away though .doubt if I'm curious enough to go see it .something about the layout is funky to me .im 6' and I thought the hunter 260 had more head room than mac ,so I'm surprised edge would be less head room .
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

IMHO the Hunter is one UGLY boat, the cabin layout is a shocker, I can see nothing that would make me want one over a Mac.

Seems they basically copied the :macx: for hull shape, shallow V and flat square bum, I guess being copied is the greatest form of flattery.

The Hunter rig is really small for the size of boat. a mere 28 foot high mast and sail area seems to be less than a Mac, this tells me they are more interested in making it a power boat that can sail rather than a sail boat that can power.

To me they got the whole thing wrong and ugly except the power sailor concept which I think is brilliant.
RobertB
Admiral

Post by RobertB »

So, both the Mac26 and Tat26 are out of production as is the Edge. Who has a comparable trailerable sailboat in production today that can fill this market area? Say, easily purchased in the US.
mastreb
Admiral

Post by mastreb »

RobertB wrote:So, both the Mac26 and Tat26 are out of production as is the Edge. Who has a comparable trailerable sailboat in production today that can fill this market area? Say, easily purchased in the US.
The only thing on the market is the Seaward RK26. Next down is a hunter 22, then potters and other trailerable micro sailboats in the <20 foot range.
Ixneigh
Admiral

Post by Ixneigh »

The only complaint I've ever heard about the Mac is fit and finish and sure they are a bit light for coastal cruising.
Why can't someone just offer an upgraded mac. Same thing but with glassed deck to hull joint, few more layers of fiberglass and some degree of customization such as inside color? A few modular storage accessories taken from the best of the many mods and made from matching materials.
Never understood why they only offered one model. How hard is it to add a few more layers of glass in the moulds?
Ix
FishyFabs
Chief Steward

Post by FishyFabs »

You can look at the Odin too...I believe there is a dealer in Florida. There used to be a dealer in Canada but not sure if they close up shop. The Odin is a power sailor but a bit pricy compared to the Mac but you get what you pay for. I considered getting one as an upgrade to the Mac but there is no real need as the Mac keeps me on the water just fine and am enjoying it more and more each year.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

Edge is hevier constuction and slower. Better finish work and fittings on edge too and that makes it harder to launch. The mac has a better capsize rating than the edge.

The edge is a more nicly finished version of the mac. Of course, with all that extra weight you get the lower performnace with the edge.
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

There is no doubt the Mac offers huge bang for your buck.

In Australia a new 25 foot trailer sailor (there is still a few being made) will cost you around $90K plus a motor, you can buy a Tattoo 26 with 50Hp 4 stroke fitted and ready to sail for just on $65K, or without motor for about $47K (why they charge you $19K for a 50Hp and fitting beats be).

I would think there would be a market for an upgraded version of the Mac, with better standard sails, maybe some weight in the centerboard and maybe a slightly strengthened hull, if a few mods added $10K to the purchase price it would still be well below the others in the market.

Rogers vision and production process was class leading, he bought the lessons learnt from the auto builders to boat building, offering basically no options, just one model to smooth the production process. Sort of the Henry Ford of the marine industry, but of course you could only buy the Model T in black, there was no BLUE option.

Its a wonder they didnt have a performance arm, like many car manufacturers do for those that want something a bit special, such as Mercedes has their AMG performance group and Holden (Chevy to the USA) has Holden Special Vehicles (HSV).