Newglass question

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: kmclemore, NiceAft, Hamin' X, Catigale, beene

Chinook
Admiral

Newglass question

Post by Chinook » Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:59 pm

I've seen several posts about how Newglass can revitalize the black stripe. For those who have used it, did you just apply it to the black, or did you use it on white surfaces as well? Also, after application, do you still use wax, or is the Newglass in place of using wax?

Erik Hardtle
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Newglass question

Post by Erik Hardtle » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:18 am

Here is a whole thread on the subject:

http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/v ... =9&t=20697

I have been using it for 8 years now. I do all the smooth surfaces, hull and sides. I don't do the cockpit. It is a replacement for wax.

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:34 am

Hi Eric,

Thanks for the reply. I plan to give the stuff a try.

Mike

Herschel
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Herschel » Thu Jun 04, 2015 4:53 pm

I used it three years ago and was very pleased with the results. It stopped the chalking on my 1998 26X that typically sits at a slip in Central Florida all year. I was extremely pleased with the shine all the way around, especially on the black stripes. I vowed to do the yearly touch up, but just have not mobilized and prioritized to do it. I did the entire boat, everything that was fiberglass above the water line. Six coats! Did I say that it was somewhat labor intensive, but it was not a hard buffing and polishing kind of labor, just tedious and repetitive. It is essential that the boat be clean and kept clean while you apply the product. Any spots will become "immortalized" in the new shine. Three years out, I see the wisdom in doing the annual touch up, though. Hopefully, this fall will be the time I'll get that done.