Trawler conversion

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

1-Tntimbo
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Trawler conversion

Post by 1-Tntimbo » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:34 pm

Time to bid all a farewell, after reading so much about the trawler wanna-be's, and thinking about it for a long time, I have decided to make the plunge. I have purchased a real 34' trawler with central heat, air, a walk-in shower, full galley with hot water, and diesel power.

It also has a 6.5 KW diesel generator.

Cruises at 8.5 knots with a 2 GPH fuel burn.

I will definitely miss the ability to trailer to far away destinations to enjoy new area's of our great land. I can still go just about anywhere from KY Lake, but it will require a lot of time. That said, time is what I have most of in my retirement. I am probably to old to learn to sail single handed anyway.

This forum has been invaluable to me over the last 2 years. The Mac is without question the best bang for the buck in boating.
T

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Re: Trawler conversion

Post by Tomfoolery » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:42 pm

Albin?

Sorry to see you moving on, or forward as it were, but trawlers are nice, too. Many sailors switch to trawlers when they don't feel they want to do all the work of sailing. Though a trawler that size, with all its systems, has a whole 'nuther collection of work. :wink:

The admiral would go for a trawler, or similar voluminous power boat with lots of entertaining space (and windows well above the water line :D ), but I'm just not ready to stop sailing, single-handed (which I usually am, even with others on board) or otherwise.

RussMT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by RussMT » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:20 pm

Sounds like a good step up in comfort. Who could blame you?

Enjoy the new vessel and stop in and share your journey.

--Russ

1-Tntimbo
Engineer

Post by 1-Tntimbo » Wed Aug 05, 2015 9:17 am

No, not Albin, she is a 34 Mainship.
T

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed Aug 05, 2015 10:43 am

1-Tntimbo wrote:No, not Albin, she is a 34 Mainship.
Oh, very nice! I like them better than the Albin (I think I was thinking of the 36), because the aft cabin of the Albin kind of clogs things up. The open area in the stern is a major attraction for me and the admiral. It's what's attractive with the C-Cory 25 - the open stern area, and single large cabin at the main level.

I'm envious. In a good way.

I wonder how fast the optional red hull is? :D :wink:

The broker I bought my Mac through, and where I wintered my Hunter, was a Mainship dealer. I guess because they were also a Hunter dealer (some sort of connection between them).

RussMT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by RussMT » Wed Aug 05, 2015 12:23 pm

Tomfoolery wrote:The broker I bought my Mac through, and where I wintered my Hunter, was a Mainship dealer. I guess because they were also a Hunter dealer (some sort of connection between them).
Yea, same company owned both builders. I think things are different now I think with the sale of Hunter Marine.

Mainship was built (not sure if still is) in New Jersey. A buddy of mine worked there many years ago. He had constant fiberglass itch. Said it was a toxic nightmare in the factory.

I like those boats. T will certainly enjoy it.

1-Tntimbo
Engineer

Post by 1-Tntimbo » Wed Aug 05, 2015 1:00 pm

The boat I have is a 1980 model. The red hull pic is a very late model and while I would love that, I certainly can't afford it. I do have a friend with a blue hull 2006 model powered by single 370 HP Yanmar Diesel. He has bow & stern thrusters.

Interior floor plan is same as mine, although much more modern looking.

Glad I don't have to feed those extra 200 pony's.
T