looking for a dinghy --ideas

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

kevinnem
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

looking for a dinghy --ideas

Post by kevinnem » Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:35 pm

So. I have a 26x, and looking to get a dingy for the thing. I only do inland lakes. but sometimes will be on a mooring ball --sometimes hook. I would think that it is best to have something that can collapse as small as given teh limited storage space we have. My biggest issue though is finding something co$t effective, but isn't crap that will develop a hole first time you use it.

Ideas? links? Or information I should know? Should I get something that has those "hard" insert-able floor panels?

Kev.
Last edited by kevinnem on Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ponaldpe
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: looking for a dingy --ideas

Post by Ponaldpe » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:10 pm

kevinnem wrote:So. I have a 26x, and looking to get a dingy for the thing. I only do inland lakes. but sometimes will be on a mooring ball --sometimes hook. I would think that it is best to have something that can collapse as small as given teh limited storage space we have. My biggest issue though is finding something co$t effective, but isn't crap that will develop a hole first time you use it.

Ideas? links? Or information I should know? Should I get something that has those "hard" insert-able floor panels?

Kev.
I am new to sailing , boating in general, I have a 14 foot jet boat I plan on using as my Dingy, I plan to tow it with the mac , or sometimes leave it at the mooring when I use one. Though trailering two boats is an issue when we plan a long land trip. I have not worked that out as of yet.

yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:13 pm

We've got a 7' zodiac with slated floor and a 2.5 merc. Boat, motor and oars fit in a large bag that came with the boat and can be stored below deck (aprox 4'x1.5'x1') When cruising we keep it upside down on the deck. It's small but enough to go to shore or explore on calm days. It'll take two people to shore or me and one of the dogs. I can have it out of the bag and motoring within ten min. The whole thing ways under 50 lbs. Again it's small but at the same time it's also not a hassle to have around.

yukonbob
Admiral

Post by yukonbob » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:20 pm

Ponaldpe wrote: I am new to sailing , boating in general, I have a 14 foot jet boat I plan on using as my Dingy, I plan to tow it with the mac , or sometimes leave it at the mooring when I use one. Though trailering two boats is an issue when we plan a long land trip. I have not worked that out as of yet.
Depending on where you're sailing and how bad the weather can get just be aware that towing a ridged boat you may one day have to cut it loose in bad weather and watch it sink, or risk turning it into a very large and unwanted drogue. At least with inflatables they'll stay on top of the water in rougher conditions and if you have to cut them loose your chances of getting them back are better, especially if you put your info on them.

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:52 pm

There are so many possibilities to choose from. Your needs will eliminate the choices which are not appropriate for you.

My needs were an inflatable which could carry four adults, use a small motor, and be of quality. Zodiac is a well known company that make a great product, but I found out that so is Achilles, and not as expensive. I bought the Achilles and have been happy with it for twelve years.

That being said, others have been just as happy with their solid dinghies. If storage is not a problem, that may be a good solution for you. This forum is a good place to start, but be certain to do you due diligence and see all possibilities.

Ray

Ponaldpe
First Officer

Post by Ponaldpe » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:07 pm

Depending on where you're sailing and how bad the weather can get just be aware that towing a ridged boat you may one day have to cut it loose in bad weather and watch it sink, or risk turning it into a very large and unwanted drogue. At least with inflatables they'll stay on top of the water in rougher conditions and if you have to cut them loose your chances of getting them back are better, especially if you put your info on them.[/quote]

That is a good point about towing a ridged boat I would hope to never be in rough conditions that I would have to cut it loose, but you never really know what may come your way. I am just getting started and have no plans to going far from shore, and on the inland lakes, not till I learn a lot more.

Bobglas
Engineer

Post by Bobglas » Sun Nov 08, 2015 4:53 pm

:macm: Bought a used Walker Bay 8', wanted something that rowed well. Cartops nicely however found it to be a bit tipsy so I got the inflatable tubes, easy to install, now its a RIB! So far very happy and stable.

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:10 pm

I bought the Achilles and have been happy with it for twelve years
I recently purchased an Achilles LT-4 to use as my dinghy. I have used my 10 O'Day Sprite with positive results, but prefer not to put it at risk as it is a 56-year old family heirloom at this point. Hence, the inflatable. I like the inflatable because I also have a sail rig for it and can use it for day sailing when I want to sail something smaller and I use it as a coach boat when taking the Sprite out for sailing lessons with kids. This is my third inflatable. I tried the cheaper ones--Navigator and Intex, both made of PVC. I did get some use out of the cheaper ones but they did puncture more easily, did not patch reliably, and were more sensitive to over inflation issues when left in the sun. I am very pleased with my Achilles, but I purposely got one made of hypalon type material. The salesman at Defender told me that hypalon is a copyright name held by DuPont, and DuPont doesn't make the material anymore, but other companies make a similar hypalon type material. I am not a chemist, therefore I cannot tell you the difference between PVC dinghies and "hypalon" dinghies, but I made sure I got a hypalon after going through two PVC ones (admittedly cheaper ones) sooner than I thought I should. As to power, after trying to use an air-cooled 2 h.p. 4-stroke over the past five years and only experiencing intermittent reliability, I am going with a good set of oars and a strong back for the time being. I may give an electric trolling motor a try at some point. :?

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:15 pm

I would ask what are your planning on using the dinghy for?

Taking the dog to shore?
How far to shore?
Windy conditions?
Getting to the dock while on a mooring?
Something you sail?
Number of people it can carry?

Lot's of solutions depending on your needs and wants.

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:23 pm

Bought a used Walker Bay 8', wanted something that rowed well. Cartops nicely however found it to be a bit tipsy so I got the inflatable tubes
My sister-in-law bought a Walker Bay 10 when she wanted to learn to sail. I have taken it out twice; second time I briefly shipped water over the gunwale surprisingly before I got a handle on its balance. :P I agree that it is a little overpowered by its standard sail, and I think my sister-n-law feels that, too. She has yet to take it out without me nearby in another boat. Something to keep in mind, if you are planning on using your dinghy as a boat for teaching kids and adult novices to learn to sail.

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:24 pm

I have a West Marine inflatable with ridged floor and a 2.5 Suzuki. The motor can be stowed on the stern rail seats bracket and the dink can be deflated and stored on the foredeck in front of the mast. It works well.

We also have a couple of these and we sometimes tow one around to explore places and have fun in the evening. It will work as a dingy also.

yukonbob
Admiral

Post by yukonbob » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:25 pm

RussMT wrote:I have a West Marine inflatable with ridged floor and a 2.5 Suzuki. The motor can be stowed on the stern rail seats bracket and the dink can be deflated and stored on the foredeck in front of the mast. It works well.

We also have a couple of these and we sometimes tow one around to explore places and have fun in the evening. It will work as a dingy also.

We did this a few years ago but with a 75' houseboat. It was great! Even took it down the lake to get groceries a few miles rather than drag the houseboat all the way there. I'm sure these are a dime a dozen in warmer climates?

Terry
Admiral

Post by Terry » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:30 pm

Too bad about the DuPont Hypalon issue as hypalon is the best material but also very expensive, I tried getting hypalon but price and availability became an issue. My first dinghy was a 9' 9"' PVC inflatable and it lasted me ten years but succumbed to deterioration. I am now on my second one, got it from Stryker inflatables, it is PVC also but very well made, has an inflatable keel but aluminum inside bottom so that a dogs claws won't puncture the floor, my first dinghy floor was inflatable and always leaked that is why I went aluminum. It is 8' 4" and weighs in at 78 lbs with all the pieces but they are in separate bags so you only lift half at a time when it is unassembled. I got it for about $1000 but it includes storage under the seat and at the bow, lots of detail accessories. I have a 5hp honda to push it with cause I don't have a strong back. It will fit inflated between the mast and bow with the transom end at the mast or you can just straddle it across the the windows deflated and in the bag. I hate towing a dinghy and hate more having to assemble it at a mooring, dinghies are a pain in the a$$. That said they do provide an enjoyable means to explore your surroundings while on the hook and can be lots of fun if you put some good hp on them. I can get about 10 mph on mine so I quite enjoy it, just hate packing it.Check out Stryker inflatables,on the internet they are located in the greater Vancouver area (Burnaby) of B.C. and will ship to you. The model I have works best with the Macs but they have bigger ones. You can get cheap PVC inflatables or decent ones depending on what you pay. I keep a cover on mine while sitting in the sun to help protect it from UV rays which destroy them and I only have it out exposed 3 months of the summer so it should last longer this time.

yukonbob
Admiral

Post by yukonbob » Sun Nov 08, 2015 6:51 pm

As a side note. I've thought about seeing if any of the lax covers could double as a floor in the inflatable then make replacements out of something stronger like aluminium. And I'm right on board with Terry in that they are a total pain in the ass

Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook » Sun Nov 08, 2015 10:50 pm

I'm partial to the 9.5 foot zodiac we bought from West Marine. It has a high pressure inflated floor and an inflated keel tube which gives it a vee shaped bottom. I hang a 2.5 hp kicker on the transom, and it runs around pretty well. It weighs around 65 pounds and can stow on the foredeck or in the kingberth of our X.