Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home

New head sail

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Re: New head sail

Postby Tomfoolery » Sun Mar 19, 2017 10:07 am

Photoman369 wrote:Thank you then I guess I don't need the Johnson adjustable quick release. Just use the MRS pin it and let off the Mrs the shrouds will be the proper tension. Provided the forestay and shrouds are all set to correct length. In letting off the backstay how do I get that hooked back up at the proper tension. I has a stay adjust with two plates with holes to set the length you want, but how do you tension that.

I have a cheesy bronze turnbuckle that I spin by hand, with no locking mechanism (no cotter pins or lock nuts), as they're really not needed (I drop the mast a few times a year, and it's at the cockpit anyway for quick tweak if needed after it's been up a while). I only tighten it so it's 'snug', whatever that means. It doesn't do much until you're sailing downwind and the main sheet isn't pulling down on the boom much (both due to being over the side, and being under light load, when on a broad reach or run).

If you're staying with the stay adjuster, then consider either the little adjuster tool BWY sells, or make your own, or use the two-awl method to walk it in. I have the small Johnson lever which I never got around to installing, as I don't think the pins or right, or the openings, or something. Nothing that couldn't be overcome with a little effort, but I just never did it, and the ease of spinning the turnbuckle a dozen times sort of limits my enthusiasm for putting in the effort to adapt the Johnson lever. But it certainly would be quicker to pin it and just snap the Johnson lever in place, by some marginal amount.

I use the forestay adjustment to set the mast angle to where I like it, which is a bit less than the 4 degrees the manual specifies (the boat rounds-up too easily with that much rake, IMO), and then tension the side stays. I don't have a Loos gauge, so I adjust the uppers to what by feel seems about right, and the lowers a bit looser so there's a couple of inches of bend in the mast. When it's right, the lee shrouds don't get floppy-loose when heeled far over, but they are on the verge of going slack.

As I said, it's just from experience with this boat, though it would certainly be useful to have a gauge, to make it easier to reset the tensions from time to time. But I make a mental note of what the shrouds are doing when sailing hard, and every once in a long while I'll take another 1/8" (one vernier pitch) on the adjusters if necessary, though I think I've only done that once since I replaced the shrouds. Putting extra load on them when cranking down on the MRS in order to make the forestay pin isn't much different than heeling the boat hard over, only all of them are under increased load rather than just the windward ones. It would be interesting to know how much more load, though. Hmmmm - I have a birthday coming up in a couple of weeks, and my FIL always gets me something for the boat. Maybe a Loos gauge . . . hmmmmm. :wink:
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby Highlander » Mon Mar 20, 2017 1:50 pm

Ooh tats gonna b a lot of candles !
https://livingthegoodwilllife.files.wor ... efire1.jpg

That,s it he,s gonna buy u a case of candle,s :P

Happy Birthday :)

J 8)
Highlander
Admiral

Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby Tomfoolery » Mon Mar 20, 2017 3:05 pm

Not quite that many, but certainly a lot.

OK - 60 of them. :P

And I've put the word out for a Loos PT-1, so I know that's what he (my FIL) is getting me. He gets me something every year for the boat, in part because he no longer has his own boat and he likes messing about on my boat, and also because I'm the caretaker of their house during the winter when they're in Florida. I'd do it for nothing, especially since I park my boat in their RV spot when they're gone (free storage - worth shoveling snow and keeping the house whole for). But he insists. :wink:

$20 less than WM at DX Engineering, including free shipping. They cater to folks who build and maintain radio and TV towers, so it would seem they're used for checking tension on guy wires. https://www.dxengineering.com/parts/loo ... swod_acPVg The smallest 'pro' one only does 3/32" to 5/32", but that's all that's on my boat anyway. If I get a bigger boat (doubtful), I'll get a bigger gauge.

Oh, and thanks. 8)
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Postby sailboatmike » Mon Mar 20, 2017 4:28 pm

Ok here is the go.

We just sold our JOG boat and one of my collections of outboards so we can stump up for some much talked about new sails to replace the soggy stretched 22 year old original OEM sails.

Now BWY offer jibs from $410 and mains from $650, while Hyde Direct seem to be a couple of hundred $$ more expensive for each.

The question is are the BWY sails that much worse quality or do they just pass on the savings of mass producing sails for the limited number of boats that they provide off the shelf sails for?

Hyde sails seem to give a lot more information on the sails they sell, I find the information on BWY site a bit sketchy.

Im not trying to be cheap, just get the best value for money, we dont envisage selling our X at anytime in the future as we think its the perfect compromise for us and what we use it for, so spending a bit more to get a sail that will last longer wont hurt.

Many of the boats over here still have the original sails, so its not like we can compare sails
sailboatmike
Admiral

Postby bobflshmn » Mon Mar 20, 2017 6:30 pm

sailboatmike wrote:Ok here is the go.

Now BWY offer jibs from $410 and mains from $650, while Hyde Direct seem to be a couple of hundred $$ more expensive for each.

The question is are the BWY sails that much worse quality or do they just pass on the savings of mass producing sails for the limited number of boats that they provide off the shelf sails for?

We purchased our new Genoa from BWY. We purchased the least expensive sail, which we where told would be equivalent to the factory sail. For our type of sailing it works great. The basic sails we where told are mass produced overseas, so the cost is passed along. Could of had a better one made or purchased one from BWY for more money, we are very happy with our purchase; however, we don't expect to keep this particular Mac for life, we do plan to upgrade in the near future.
bobflshmn
Engineer

Previous

Return to MacGregor Powersailor Discussion