Sippy Cup

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

dustoff
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Sippy Cup

Post by dustoff » Tue Aug 09, 2016 8:47 am

Participated in the Northern Chesapeake Sippy Cup overnight race last weekend. A challenging, but great experience. It runs from Turkey Point down to Annapolis Cuscus from this forum won the Sippy Cup class (boats over 200 phrf rating) in his 1977 Pearson. I, sadly, had to give up during the night. The chop kicked up from the southerly wind pushing against the ebbing tide in the bay, and as we all know, the lightness of the M & X makes it very difficult to beat into chop. My 16 yr old helmsman was totally spent by midnight and we had not made enough progress south to reach Poole's Island. The winds had kicked up to 20 knts and the fun meter rapidly fell off for my crew (2 daughters 16 & 11).
We anchored in some shelter from the wind, caught a couple hours sleep, and motored the rest of the way down the bay to meet up with the fleet for the post race party. The whole experience; planning, preparing, training, equipment shakedown, etc, still makes me feel like it was an accomplishment.
Encourage more macgregor owners to participate in the race next year. Those with 25's 26D's or S's will be better suited if the race is a pointing game, but I just know I could have been a contender if winds were a beam reach or more aft. :-)
Dustoff

sailboatmike
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Sippy Cup

Post by sailboatmike » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:03 pm

Great effort, thats the thing about racing you just have to take whatever comes, somedays its all uphill and other its downhill.

Not sure if I would consider a X or M a light boat, in fact ballast in they are just about the heaviest trailer boats going around for their size at around 1 3/4 tons, but I know what you mean they can become uncomfortable if the wind and swell are coming from the wrong direction and it just stops being fun, and isnt that what we are out there for.

Maybe next year you will get winds that suit the boat better and they can read the name on the back of your boat until you disappear out of sight with the big assy flying :D

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:36 am

What a great experience for you and your crew. Good work.

dustoff
Deckhand

Post by dustoff » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:19 pm

Thanks guys
Next year I'll have an autopilot, a larger crew, and some new sails to make it more fun and hopefully the boat more competitive.
Dustoff.

grady
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by grady » Wed Aug 10, 2016 3:12 pm

dustoff wrote:Thanks guys
Next year I'll have an autopilot, a larger crew, and some new sails to make it more fun and hopefully the boat more competitive.
Dustoff.
A quick Google search I could not find the sailing instructions. Make sure you read them and are allowed to use your autopilot. A lot of regattas do not allow the use of autopilot. That race seems laid back probably ok.

THE CUSCUS
First Officer
Sailboat: Venture 25

Post by THE CUSCUS » Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:41 am

Dustoff, cudos again for participating in the Sippy Cup Regatta. In was nice to, again meet another member of this forum ( where were you Gazman???) I'm already looking forward to next years race. Maybe we can entice afew more Macs to enter.

THE CUSCUS
First Officer
Sailboat: Venture 25

Post by THE CUSCUS » Tue Aug 16, 2016 8:59 pm

Race write up for those interested.

Friday evening, August 5th, nineteen boats met just north of the tip of Turkey Point for the 8th Annual Sippy Cup. In the Sippy Cup fleet, for smaller and slower boats, eleven competitors were entered. For the faster boats, eight contenders made up the Big Gulp fleet.
At the start, the breeze and the fetch rolling up the bay encouraged some of the racers to reef their mainsails. The wind was a blustery 15 knots out of the SW, with the fleet’s Windexes pointing directly at the finish line 36 miles away.
At 1905, the Sippy Cup began with Yello Bird, a Pearson 35, Grace, and Winsome, both Columbia 31’s, crossing the start line as the sequence reached zero.
The race was only a few minutes old when an unfortunate collision at the start line deprived Tana Mari, a Beneteau 235, of her rig. No one was hurt, but it was still heartbreaking to see a boat lose her mast. Working together, the two crews got the mast and sails safely secured, and Tana Mari limped for home.
Aboard Grace, we turned around and returned to the start after seeing the collision, to be standing by if assistance was needed. Once the situation was clearly under control, we hardened up and went off in search of the race.
Since the wind had moderated shortly after the start, we shook out our reef. All the way to the horizon, we could see the bay speckled with sailboats. After only 45 minutes, the fleets were well spread out. The lighter wind was making it challenging for the smaller boats, since the lumpy waves were still with us. Off to starboard, we could see Simply, a Catalina 22, and Transverse Flow, a MacGregor 26M, hobby horsing over the waves.
An hour into the race, the course got more challenging. As daylight faded, the weakening ebb that had seen us across the start line was gone and the flood tide began. For the next five hours we tacked our way against the tide, working our way to the north end of Pooles Island.
By the time we reached Pooles Island, around 0100, the wind was back, and then some. The turning tide was creating a wind against tide situation in this stretch that Suzanne and I have come to call “the Washing Machine”. Off to starboard, we could see the lights of Rocinante, a Catalina 30, and Sensational, a 1965 Alden yawl, bouncing wildly. We wondered, “If this was how the bigger boats are faring, what’s it like on the smaller ones?”
We stuck to the deeper water near the ship channel, hoping that that would be a smoother ride, and it seemed to work. Around 0500, the sky began to grow lighter. The Bay Bridge was only a few miles away now, but the ebb tide was petering out. To port and to windward, we could make out the tricolor of Winsome, about to cross our path. As the sky grew lighter, to starboard and more distant, we could make out the Mariner ketch, Bottom Line.
By sunrise, the flood was once again in full swing. Beating under the bridge was an exercise in patience as the wind grew lighter and the current stronger. Finally, at 0844, we passed Green 91 to port and the race was done for us.
The last boat across the line was Tinamarie, a 1986 Laguna 30, finishing at 1215.
Most of the fleet spent Saturday evening at Port Annapolis marina, to the staff of which we send our hearty thanks!

Congratulations to Ron Harbin and True Blue, his 1988 Pearson 31, for taking the Big Gulp and finishing at 0544.
Congratulations also to Jim Van Lenten and Yello Bird, his Pearson 35, for winning the Sippy Cup for the second year in a row, finishing at 0621.
Thanks to Bob Cantarera and his Beneteau Alibi for being our committee boat and seeing us all off on our race.
…And thanks to all of the captains and crews for your participation and enthusiasm in our race!