casual but careful sailing

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Herschel
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

casual but careful sailing

Post by Herschel » Mon Aug 29, 2016 9:55 pm

I went sailing single handed Sunday afternoon. Nothing unusual about that. I use sailing as a time to reflect and think. I reefed the main before I went out into 12-16 knot breeze, later reefed the jib, too. Had a great steady breeze without the usual afternoon thunderstorm we get here in Central Florida in the summer. I used my newly installed tell tales on the main to set a little better sail and steer a little more efficient course on a reach that would approach a close reach at times. Enjoyed the heeling to 20-25 degrees at times with a steady 15-20 degree heel.
After working my way windward, I turned downwind to make a run across the approximately 5 mile wide circular lake where I keep my boat. Tried a little wing on wing for awhile.
I knew that if I let out the reefs in either the main or the jib, or raised the centerboard a little, I would go faster, but I asked myself, "Do I really want to get to the other side of the lake faster; I'll just furl the sails, empty the ballast, and go back to the slip." So I did none of the things my training tells me to do which would make the boat more "tuned". I raced 44-fts in college; I'm a US Sailing instructor; I own four sailboats! But, I think I have become a casual (but safe) sailor. I just like to be on the boat, moving at a decent pace. It is my refuge from a crazy world; not to misunderstand, I have a great Admiral, nice family, good church, pretty good health. I just don't need to sail as well as I know how anymore, at least nearly all the time. Pay a lot of attention to safety, just not performance, definitely not racing. Are there any more of you guys that are getting like this, or do I have some kind of rare "sailing disease"? Maybe it is part of being 72 years old; maybe I just want to slow down a little. Can anyone relate? :?

bobflshmn
First Officer

Re: casual but careful sailing

Post by bobflshmn » Mon Aug 29, 2016 11:31 pm

I'm with you. Never been quite the accomplished sailor, but have always enjoyed being on the boat, even if it never left the slip. Lately we can concentrated on sailing smooth and steady, not trying to be the fastest.

Rick62
Chief Steward

Post by Rick62 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:54 am

Wheather its cruising on a sail boat on a lazy afternoon or riding a motor bike on a windy country road. Listening to music in your favourite lounge chair or spending some time in the garden.There are times when we just need our space. It doesn't need to be long,just enough for our hearts to spend time with our souls. Sometimes in life we can be too close to the painting to see the picture. Its when you step away, take a breath and reflect... you appreciate the art of life. Amen. :)

Rick62
Chief Steward

Post by Rick62 » Tue Aug 30, 2016 4:58 am

P.s...apologies for my spelling mistakes...Not all musician's can read music. :|

Estate Sail
Deckhand
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Estate Sail » Tue Aug 30, 2016 8:48 am

Hershel,
I love your story. Sailing is about sailing ...... the experience. If you want to go fast to get somewhere, buy a power boat. I'll stick to sailing. Im 63 and hope to be able to do it at 72 like you. :macm:

Roger

kurz
Captain

Post by kurz » Tue Aug 30, 2016 9:04 am

my friend is 80 years old this year and he did a 4 weeks trip in the mediterranean sea with his girlfriend! Including trailering all the boat and equippment.

Hope I can do it the same in 35 years...

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:15 am

Thanks, guys. Love this forum. Where else can you connect with likeminded souls in such diverse places as Mooloolaba, Australia, and Zurich, Switzerland, as well as here in the USA... overnight. I am a retired Naval Officer with some shipboard experience early in my career (got into the health field after that), and we used to have a device called the Engine Order Telegraph that sent engine speed orders to the engine room. We gave compass heading orders to the helmsman who actually steered a wheel. No "joy sticks" or bow thrusters in those days! Well, you gave the engine orders in "all ahead...1/3, 2/3, standard, full, and flank" increments with a refinement in actual number of prop revolutions you wanted, if different from what each of those orders called for. Where am I going with this? I find that I am at that place in life where the orders to the EOT and helmsman are "All ahead 2/3, steady as you go"! Thanks, again.
So, if any of you guys are following in my wake, its, "All ahead 2/3 and steady as you go." 8)

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Tue Aug 30, 2016 10:35 am

Turn 67 in a few weeks. Just retired a couple of weeks ago so I'm not in any rush to get anywhere real fast
Hear ur thoughts & like them
J 8)

Nauti Nell
Engineer

Post by Nauti Nell » Tue Aug 30, 2016 6:28 pm

This is one of my favorite posts here. I talked the boss into our boat due to it's flexibility in being able to take it pretty much anywhere. Mainly liked the one we got in that it had auto pilot and radar already on it. Hardly any other mods so can build to suit. Best part were the two rod holders off the stern seats.
look up from book to check our heading,
listen for alarm if others get close,
and wait for dinner to hook itself.
If the weather is bad we just sits and waits........
Dag nabbit
@#$%^&*(*&^%$#@
why did you wake me?

Geraghtyr
Just Enlisted

Post by Geraghtyr » Wed Aug 31, 2016 1:06 pm

Great post!

I have yet to embark on my sailing journeys but what I'm looking forward to is exactly what you describe.
"Pay a lot of attention to safety, just not performance, definitely not racing."

Simply want to cruise, relax and slow down!

After 25 years in IT I've experienced enough time in nanoseconds.
I want to live in days, weeks and months, casual sailing sounds perfect.

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:03 pm

If you're single, go for it :!:

If there is a significant other in your life, and if that person is of the same mindset, now you have potential; otherwise, good luck brother :D

Ray

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:31 pm

NiceAft wrote:If you're single, go for it :!:

If there is a significant other in your life, and if that person is of the same mindset, now you have potential; otherwise, good luck brother :D

Ray
Yes, Ray, compatibility is key. Got really fortunate there. Hope that works for all the other good folks on the forum, as well. Don't need any "Are we there, yet?" coming from the cabin every few minutes. At least we don't have to pull over and find a potty! :D

slugbug
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by slugbug » Wed Aug 31, 2016 9:18 pm

Last summer sailing across Green Bay from Beautiful Egg Harbor Door County Wisconsin to Menomone Michigan Upper Penninsula my friend and I enjoyed an espresso coffee and a game of chess while the boat cruised at 4-5 knots using the auto pilot. It was relaxing and beautiful. The Great Lakes and specifically the area of Green Bay are fabulous to sale on with many harbors and anchorages.

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:05 pm

slugbug wrote:Last summer sailing across Green Bay from Beautiful Egg Harbor Door County Wisconsin to Menomone Michigan Upper Penninsula my friend and I enjoyed an espresso coffee and a game of chess while the boat cruised at 4-5 knots using the auto pilot. It was relaxing and beautiful. The Great Lakes and specifically the area of Green Bay are fabulous to sale on with many harbors and anchorages.
I have got to ask, being an old chess player, too, this had to be on a run downwind with little heel, or did you have a set of Velcro pieces and board? :)

NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Wed Aug 31, 2016 10:11 pm

Herschel,

We played Scabble in the cabin while anchored during a bad storm: snap in pieces :D

Ray