Mac-less

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Curwen
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Re: Mac-less

Post by Curwen » Wed Sep 14, 2016 4:32 pm

After a 15 months of ownership, I finally named my boat Knotty Buoy after passing up on Wasted Seamen and Let's Reef Her. My brother is considering using that name for his boat though.

NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft » Wed Sep 14, 2016 7:26 pm

Those names could raise some eyebrows :D

Ray

K9Kampers
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by K9Kampers » Thu Sep 15, 2016 7:32 pm

...and for the ornithologist, there's the Salty Swallow! :P

Crikey
Admiral
Location: Washago, Muskoka, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Singularity.Suzuki DF60A. Boat name: Crikey!

Post by Crikey » Thu Sep 15, 2016 9:26 pm

Crikey!

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:10 am

Getting NSFW!

I bet Ray ran out to check his boat when he read the sale notice.

D-aft would be a good name for me

vizwhiz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by vizwhiz » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:05 pm

Still trolling...waiting to hear the next news!

LoHo
Chief Steward
Sailboat: Venture 2-22

Post by LoHo » Tue Oct 25, 2016 2:15 pm

Does This Transom Make My Aft Look Big? might be too much...

yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob » Tue Oct 25, 2016 4:38 pm

Well just finished offer and survey #3 with less than stellar results (not all complete surveys, one partial that I cancelled mid survey, broker didn't like that too much lol too bad! and two mechanical's that never made it any further; Its hard to believe the lack of regular maintenance people seem to refuse to do to their boats, its just crazy) I had almost given up hope but this worked out quite well and has rolled into offer #4 on a brand new listing and back to the original make and model we were hoping for over a year and a half ago. Organizing mechanical and survey asap in hopes to complete sale by the end of the month and a quick shakedown cruise of around 80nm. From what I can tell she's been very well taken care of and in great shape but we will see. Its probably a determent that we totally fell for the classic cutters and refuse to compromise ha! :D :? :)

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:52 am

Just to add to the theme of retirement sailing. This is about 7 years away for us.

Close friends of ours are thinking of winter Caribbean cruising, and Admiral and I like 3 months on the Cape.

We suddenly realized that if we split the running costs of a 45 footer we can make the whole thing work nicely. Somehow I have to work Kevin and Jan in because whenever you loan something to Kevin, it comes back working better and fixed.... :D :D Tough guy to keep the karma bucket overflowing with..

The key to us is getting out of the worry of how do you exit this at 'old age'

Here is the shared mentality we have....

We realize on a 200k budget we can outfit a real nice boat, enjoy the two locations, cruise for 5 years, and walk away from it with no money and be happy.

Any time after 5 years, and any money recovered on sale, is just upside.

Ive actually looked at Catalina for this as its very reasonable to get in, and the network is second only to the Mac Fora.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:56 am

Catigale wrote:Close friends of ours are thinking of winter Caribbean cruising, and Admiral and I like 3 months on the Cape.
Oldest son is coaching in the Cape Cod League next summer, so the admiral wants to haul the boat out there for a week to visit and watch some games and is using the boat as bait. Though I don't need any. But I'll take it. Gotta research the area for sailing, though.
Catigale wrote:Here is the shared mentality we have....

We realize on a 200k budget we can outfit a real nice boat, enjoy the two locations, cruise for 5 years, and walk away from it with no money and be happy.

Any time after 5 years, and any money recovered on sale, is just upside.
I like the way you think. And just know that I sold my Hunter 340 for more than I paid for it. Buyer thought he was being a hard-ass, offered money with a threat to walk away if the offer wasn't accepted without a counter-offer (he'd already walked away from two others, according to the broker who I believe was being honest), but it was higher than what I paid, so I took it. I wasn't expecting that much, and would have been happy to get close to what I paid.

Then he added central air, a custom winter cover, new flat-screen tv to replace the built-in CRT (with analog tuner, though I sold it with a converter box), and some other costly goodies, and put it on the market for even less. I almost bought it back, but that sugarscoop swim platform transom with shallow exit angle pounded in waves and wakes (sudden stop, like a belly-flop, with lots of water shooting out, also like a belly flop), making sleeping in the stern berth, or anywhere for that matter, impossible in any kind of seaway. Something to watch for in a Catalina, by the way, as those shallow-exit transoms with swim platform were all the fashion a while back.

yukonbob
Admiral

Post by yukonbob » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:13 am

Sorting through the heaps of used boats for sale you can get a ready to cruise the pacific boat for just over 100k cnd (isn't that like 50k usd these days? :P ) We passed on a valiant 40 that was totally outfitted with most equipment being installed 3 years ago that just got back from the Hawaii loop and ready to keep going. It was a uniflite blister hull but was peeled and epoxied 4 years earlier ahead of the trip. Boat went for less than 80kcnd and if we were looking for something to just take off for a few years I would have jumped on it, but we're looking long term. Lots of deals to be had out there if you look hard enough. I've been finding the real deals are listed in the hard to find spots. Older less tech savvy couples who've cruised for years and have put a small add up on some obscure classified ad site or even just a piece of loose leaf with the make of the boat a price and a phone number on the board at their dock. No intentions of listing witha broker or fancy online sites like CL or Kijiji. Well maintained boats ready to cruise at a fraction they're worth to outfit yourself. Although it's very hard to buy something with higher maintenance costs when you still have the Mac sitting there which is why we had to sell it or we'd never move on, they're just to easy to keep around.

kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Post by kmclemore » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:39 am

Catigale wrote: Somehow I have to work Kevin and Jan in because whenever you loan something to Kevin, it comes back working better and fixed.... :D :D Tough guy to keep the karma bucket overflowing with..
:D :D Well, I'm a tinkerer, what can I say!?

Catigale
Site Admin

Post by Catigale » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:55 pm

kmclemore wrote:
Catigale wrote: Somehow I have to work Kevin and Jan in because whenever you loan something to Kevin, it comes back working better and fixed.... :D :D Tough guy to keep the karma bucket overflowing with..
:D :D Well, I'm a tinkerer, what can I say!?
See your Doctor.

When Harry loaned me his trailer to bail me out of the nastiness at Westport I sent it back with new LED lights and a nice SS brake cable. You do what you can do.

Globalhobo
Chief Steward

Post by Globalhobo » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:25 pm

Cruising -- Pacific Seacraft 34 or 37 -- our dream boat. 8)

yukonbob
Admiral

Post by yukonbob » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:05 am

Globalhobo wrote:Cruising -- Pacific Seacraft 34 or 37 -- our dream boat. 8)
Came across 2 PS37's but both were completely loaded for world cruising, I still want some projects to complete until we're ready to cast off and most systems I will redo just cause. Beautiful well built boats that seem to be well taken care of.