Marine Boat Storage Victoria BC

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Re: Marine Boat Storage Victoria BC

Post by Highlander » Sat Oct 01, 2016 12:00 pm

beene wrote:So now you know what to plan for when you trailer back for MMOR 2017!

8)

G
Yep I was thinkin the same thing , U & Rocky fly out here I,ll show both of u how to pack the trk ,Geoff be the pilot , Rocky co-pilot, me navigator in the back seat with cocktails for me only ! . for that honor u both get too foot the bill so bring ur credit cards , by the way I do not sleep on the cheap on this 5 day trip I spent $700.00 on hotels & motels so be fair warned . :P
Don,t forget to book return flights because u,ll be truckin me & the whole package back home again so ur credit cards will take a hit of approx $5000.00 for the return trip :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

J :) :wink:

Crikey
Admiral
Location: Washago, Muskoka, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Singularity.Suzuki DF60A. Boat name: Crikey!

Post by Crikey » Sun Oct 02, 2016 8:19 pm

John, I'll mail you my air-miles card! :D :D :D

dreamer
First Officer

Post by dreamer » Sun Oct 02, 2016 9:38 pm

Hey John that was quite the trip. You were loaded up pretty good. How did those new tires hold up? Happy all went well. We'll have to meet up before you head back west.

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:43 pm

Hi Rocky,
yep that was a do-say I had to beat the Oct 1st dead line for snow tires & chains , I figured that this early in the season snow tires were going to cost me approx $500.00 more on gas :o , looks like I just timed it right on as after my return flight the BC rockies & SK Prairies got dumped on with Snow , having a truckers A-license to drive semi,s it would not have been a big deal for me :)
but the first snow falls r always the worst for accidents as regular drivers do not slow down enough in the early winter season & have not got into their winter driving skills yet, so I did not need the headache lol :P
Geoff came up the other day & help me for a while but I think he wanted to shoot the breeze about my trip out there over a few beers so we did have a beer & a quick chat for a while before he had to leave to p/u his girls .
we should orginise a trip out west to meet up with me on my boat or Leon,s boat next summer & the four of us get together for a west coast MMOR :) now that would be a first :D
anyway see u this wk-end before i leave , was great to see G & shoot the breeze for a little time :( I wish I had more time to chat with him as he really wanted to hear more about my trip , anyway two days to go & still have a sh-t load of stuff to get done , been working 16-18hrs a day since I retired getting ready to move all my stuff & get rid of stuff , lost 20lbs since I retired Aug 11th . lol so hope I can keep it off :P

J 8)

Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:15 am

Oh Yeh
Rocky forgot to mention that I up-graded my trl tires from 8 ply bias-ply to 10 ply radials which had a higher load rating from 2400# up to 2850# each tire so carrying capacity increased to 900# for both tires & I really noticed the differnce when passing people @ 70 mp/h + a lot less swaying , boat handled a lot better but still had to be careful on big cross wind gusts, but I would definitely recommend the tire up-grade for anyone planning a long trip like I just done , as my tires were 8 yrs old & worn out they needed to be replaced for this trip anyway so the up-grade was the smart thing to do & proved to be the right move as I had no issues even with my trk loaded to the hilt , but I have top of the line Michelin tires on my trk so all worked out well no blow-outs or issues :)

J 8)

Phil M
Captain
Sailboat: Other

Post by Phil M » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:56 am

Highlander - every August I make the trip from the middle of Canada out to the West Coast and Back Again. My upgrade was to a new dual axle trailer. There are a few stretches of highway where cell reception is either non-existent or very poor. But no worries. 8)

Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander » Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:18 pm

Hi All
Well my stuff is all in the moving van , house closed yesterday , flew back to Victoria BC today , so thats that all done with , now to get settled in & get organised so by the time the spring arrives I can start to relax & begin enjoying my retirement :)
Had a nice evening with Rocky @ the sports Bar next to my hotel by the airport last night , Rocky splurged & bought dinner & the beers :wink:

Thx for the help Geoff & rocky

J 8)

Spector
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Spector » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:49 am

John, the MYCBC is planning a trip to Victoria for July 1 Canada day. Canada's 150th. We will be in the inner harbour. 20 Macs so far have signed up. You (and anyone else) should consider joining the festivities, its going to be a great time.
http://www.MYCBC.ca

http://www.gvha.ca/marinas-facilities/m ... ship-point

Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:39 pm

Spector wrote:John, the MYCBC is planning a trip to Victoria for July 1 Canada day. Canada's 150th. We will be in the inner harbour. 20 Macs so far have signed up. You (and anyone else) should consider joining the festivities, its going to be a great time.
http://www.MYCBC.ca

http://www.gvha.ca/marinas-facilities/m ... ship-point
Hi Alan
I have sent an E/M to Rick @ MYCBC to see if its too late to reserve a spot for the Vic Meet & join the club

J 8)

Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:43 pm

Hi All
Anyone on the Island interested in meeting up for a beer & chit tat

J 8)

kevinnem
First Officer

Post by kevinnem » Tue Nov 01, 2016 3:33 pm

Sorry, I appears I am pretty late to the party, but I am in calgary, and wanted to offer if anyone needs a place to crash, or any other local support then I am happy to help.

I am heading west at least to Okanagon next year.. may not make it to the coast (not sure if I am experienced enough for that yet).

So the tow over the Rockies wasn't so bad? I am kind of worried about that. I am also worried about running out of fuel, as it seems the gas tank drys up fast on the uphill climbs.

Kevin.

Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:19 pm

Hi Kevin
I almost run out of fuel twice in Northern Ontario @ night as I would start looking for fuel when I got down too 1/4 tank of fuel , so after that I started looking for fuel once I was down to 1/2 tank fuel
I can usually get around 500-550km a tank of gas when pulling the boat on the hiway depending on the hills & wind , I have a huge gas tank & can get around 800km a tank of gas on the hiway with just the trk
I had my trk loaded heavy plus my 10ft walker bay dinghy on the roof was like pulling a parachute behind me lol so I was only getting between 300-400km a tank of gas depending on the hill climbs & head winds so I carried 2 x 5 gallon gas cans in the back of the trk just in case lol never used them , but had to mty them into my gas tank before going on the ferry
going over the Rockies was fine but do not go over the speed limit going down hill or u will run out of brakes , I had mine starting to overheat a couple times in cool weather but I was pretty much maxed out for combined towing & load capacity 9200-9600#
I overhauled both my trk & trl brakes before this trip , new trl tires & 2 spare tires

J 8)

Spector
First Officer

Post by Spector » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:56 am

I have driven to the coast from Calgary numerous times with the Mac and more times than I can count to the Shuswap. The biggest climb between Calgary and the Okanogan is Rodgers Pass. Coming back from the coast you've got the Coquihalla. The hill known as the smasher will test any vehicle.
Of course a lot depends on your tow beast but there's been lots of discussion on that topic here. Best advise is to gear down and take it easy. Don't push your vehicles capabilities. Downhill, the old saying is start down the hill in the gear you'd climb it in. Fuel has never been a problem. Longest stretch without fuel is between Golden and Revelstoke 150 km.

As for sailing on the coast don't hesitate to give it try. Definitely worth the effort. One of the reasons we joined a club was the safety in numbers aspect. Lots to learn and there are some good people out there willing to help. If you want any other advise or want to meet up let me know. I'm in your area.