New Mac / Tattoo 23Ft concept boat

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
miamistyle
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 19

Re: New Mac / Tattoo 23Ft concept boat

Post by miamistyle »

Thank you for your interest in the Tattoo 22. I am sorry for the delay in replying to your email. Our facility has been closed while we look for a new site as we have outgrown our faciilty.

We are delighted to announce that we have found a building which we are in the process of buying, and that we plan to be up and running again soon.
While that is encouraging, I have been hearing similar things for over a year now.

The Ventura boat is priced too high. Good Luck to them. They would have to drop that price 10,000 for me to even think about it.

I guess I will have to continue working on my mods for my :mac19: I would really love to have a :tat22: though.
Sumner
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by Sumner »

Wondering why there is so much negativity about someone entering the market with a new boat? I'm hoping they have success so that somewhere down the line someone without the money can pick one up like I and many others have done on this site. For everyone of us on here that bought a used boat someone else had the money at some point to of bought it new.

I was in no position to buy a new M when we bought the S, but was glad that at some point, someone previously had been in the position to of bought the boat new. The same with all my vehicles. I can't/won't spend $25-$50,000 on a new vehicle but many will. There are people out there that will spend $60,000 in today's dollars to buy a new boat. I see new pickups all the time that cost close to that pulling "toys" that probably cost that much again. People will spend over $200,000 on new motorhomes. They drive right past the the house all the time along with Jeeps that I'll bet people have over $40,000 in that are in enclosed trailers behind a motorhome going to Moab up the road and might do a couple thousand in damage to them just playing. There are people out there with the money.

I might be the odd man out here but I wish them luck in their venture and doubt they will become multi-millionaires doing it,

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
Ponaldpe
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Ponaldpe »

Sumner wrote:Wondering why there is so much negativity about someone entering the market with a new boat? I'm hoping they have success so that somewhere down the line someone without the money can pick one up like I and many others have done on this site. For everyone of us on here that bought a used boat someone else had the money at some point to of bought it new.

I was in no position to buy a new M when we bought the S, but was glad that at some point, someone previously had been in the position to of bought the boat new. The same with all my vehicles. I can't/won't spend $25-$50,000 on a new vehicle but many will. There are people out there that will spend $60,000 in today's dollars to buy a new boat. I see new pickups all the time that cost close to that pulling "toys" that probably cost that much again. People will spend over $200,000 on new motorhomes. They drive right past the the house all the time along with Jeeps that I'll bet people have over $40,000 in that are in enclosed trailers behind a motorhome going to Moab up the road and might do a couple thousand in damage to them just playing. There are people out there with the money.

I might be the odd man out here but I wish them luck in their venture and doubt they will become multi-millionaires doing it,

Sumner

===========================
I am with you Summer. The last new motor vehicle I bought was in 1986. They have and still just keep going up in price , and I am glad others are buying them, because I won't, but somebody has to so I can get new to me vehicle or Boat when I need or want . My thanks to all that do buy NEW. Don
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
K9Kampers
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by K9Kampers »

Sumner wrote:Wondering why there is so much negativity about someone entering the market with a new boat? I'm hoping they have success so that somewhere down the line someone without the money can pick one up like I and many others have done on this site. For everyone of us on here that bought a used boat someone else had the money at some point to of bought it new.
It'd be really great for someone to succeed where others have failed in giving the T/S community a new boat for the times!

Looking at the challenges and barriers, as discussed on this forum, of bringing a new boat to market - one can't help but be skeptical. This latest project doesn't seem to have anything concrete about it to give confidence to meet their intended Spring 2017 delivery of product.

Previous hopes & hypes discussed on this forum: Hunter Edge, Tattoo and Wing-Z

...and on that note...I've been waiting forty years for the Moller flying car to hit the market! :wink: :D
grady
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by grady »

K9Kampers wrote: It'd be really great for someone to succeed where others have failed in giving the T/S community a new boat for the times!
They did! It's called a J70.
K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers »

A J70 racing daysailer is a different apple from a trailerable cruiser.

Using the benchmark of what an affordable MacGregor used to be, there don't seem to be any new Affordable, Trailerable, Powersailers. Choose any two of three.

Beneteau, Com-Pac, and Precision are alternatives, for more $$$. Let's hope the market is strong now for these so that in ten years they will be affordable options.
miamistyle
Chief Steward

Post by miamistyle »

Beneteau, Com-Pac, and Precision are alternatives, for more $$$.
None of those get anywhere near 20 knots under power. A :tat22: will. This new Ventura says it will also.

There really is NOTHING that can sail and do 20 knots or better under power on the market right now at all :cry:
JotaErre
Engineer

Post by JotaErre »

miamistyle wrote:
Beneteau, Com-Pac, and Precision are alternatives, for more $$$.
None of those get anywhere near 20 knots under power. A :tat22: will. This new Ventura says it will also.

There really is NOTHING that can sail and do 20 knots or better under power on the market right now at all :cry:
Well... have a look at this one. I have tried one (motoring only, not sailing), and it's really fast...

http://nuvayachts.com/en/
K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers »

None of those get anywhere near 20 knots under power.
That's why I added choose any two of three.
This new Ventura says it will also.
Saying it and proving a theoretical are two different things. With a photoshop image and a scale model, they can claim whatever gets them attention.
MacGregor claimed that too, but as a stripped down boat with a litre fuel tank and one crew, OR an OB larger than manf specs.

Maybe the Affordable, Trailerable, Powersailer is an odd duck that is beyond viable. Beneteau, Com-Pac, and Precision are established in the industry but aren't filling the void. Hunter tried and failed. Maybe they know something. It'll take a fresh upstart with a lot of money and luck behind them to attempt a niche void and play for the long game.
K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers »

NUVA Yachts... A for originality, but it feels like someone is making fun of our Macs.
I bet a Donzi 22 Classic with a mast would be more practical for what this is offering! :P

I do like it's lines tho. Get rid of the slide-outs, center console, drop the HP and add three feet to make it a respectable sailboat instead of a powerboat with a mast!

JotaErre- what is your impression of it as a powerboat?
K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers »

So does anyone know, How much are they asking for one of these?
Maybe someone going to the boat show can answer: What is the price on the Ventura boat?
According to their Facebook page:
Our visitors seem to overwhelming love the Ventura 23. It's design concept and visual presence has been positively received. The price is of great value according to our Visitors.
Many people have expressed an interest in owning one
Methinks the price is of great value visitors are not of trailer sailor background and/or not of this forum.
NiceAft
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Is it priced to high?
Will people purchase it?
Will there be enough sales to make the venture viable?

Time will tell, and then all the speculation will come to an end; just not here :P :evil: :D

Ray
Signaleer
First Officer
Location: Foley, Alabama...2002 26x & 2002 90 HP Mercury Salt Water 2-stroke

Post by Signaleer »

Wow, http://nuvayachts.com/en/ ...

That is a neat concept.

So I have a question, now owning these boats for a little over a year.

The biggest design challenge is the standing headroom in the cabin. I never rarely use the cabin unless at anchor, and then, it can still be cramped.

Is the design trade off a raised cabin?

A 26D that can plane - so to speak. But with a much larger pop top?
K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers »

The biggest design challenge is the standing headroom in the cabin.
Unless you can mod the sliding hatch into a sliding / pop top hatch, then that's the trade off.

I'm 6ft tall, so the only place I can stand with the hatch closed is under the hatch, and frankly, that's really the only spot one needs to stand on an :macx:. Before my latest galley mod, I was comfortable sitting on the edge of the sette for food prep / cooking. Activity forward of that is for sitting or lying down. In my current galley design, I've moved the Origo stove aft of the port compression post and can now stand while cooking. I also can set up an inside standing shower in this area.

Instead of a pop top for the :macx:, I did a design study with cardboard mock up of a fixed and/or removable pilothouse mod for the companionway, to benefit having more light & air below. The drawback was designing to allow stepping and unstepping of the mast. I've concluded that the only way I'll pursue that idea is if I raise the mast step via tabernacle.

As to your question, I think the :macx: already has enough standing headroom where it's needed.
miamistyle
Chief Steward

Post by miamistyle »

That does look SWEET. The only thing missing is a galley and restroom.

If all were priced equally, I would still rank them in this order:

1- :tat22:
2 - Nuva
3 - Ventura

I intend to one day take a small trailer sailer on the great loop. I really feel the :tat22: would be THE boat for my wife and I to do this in. Someone get on the phone to Laura and ask her to get cracking. :|