Roller furler purchase

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Re: Roller furler purchase

Post by Highlander »

4 furler,s on my boat & not complaining :)

J 8)
1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

Please accept my thanks to all for your generous time contributing to this thread. What a great site this is where opinions are shared with the utmost respect. The information shared is most appreciated and will make reaching an informed decision easy.
Thanks to all,
Dave
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Highlander wrote:4 furler,s on my boat & not complaining :)

J 8)
J 8)
Catigale
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

Is CDI still active in Homer NY or did he sell the business?

It's just North of Cortland in case anyone is in the area.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Good question. I thought they were in that little (former) railroad depot building next to the tracks in Homer. Looks like they're now Cruising Designs International rather than Cruising Designs Inc., though still CDI. Based in Winnipeg.

Just noticed (for the first time) that Google maps shows it being closed. Didn't say that the last time I looked. Bummer, as I go past there often on my way to NYC, sometimes stopping for fuel in Cortland. :(
Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander »

I think in today's market that their r a lot better options for a furler Than the CDI Furler , for a few dollars more U,ll get 4 times the quality , just keep an eye out for them going on sale this time of yr or @ the Boat Shows they usually go for 1/3rd off reg price
When I bought my Harken furler for my storm sail @ the T.O. Boat Show 2 yrs ago it was on sale $160.00 off the reg price , so after haggling back & forth between 4 venders I was able to negotiate another $80.00 off the sale price , basically got it for 55% off the reg price , was a slow day & I think they were just wanting to show some kinda mark-up :wink: .
Also keep an eye open for new display models which sell for up too 75% off this time of yr if u get lucky :) , another option is look for a good used one on the resale market off a small dock queen :D will b hardly used
:wink: .
There r some good prices on the various Zero one Furlers now they have come way down in price

just my 2 cents worth of option :D

J 8)
kurz
Admiral

Post by kurz »

and what is better thand the CDI with the other models?
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

My JOG boat uses a ProFurl (260 model I think), these are rigid furlers and are made up of a few Aluminium extrusions connected by plastic connectors that have a2 stainless steels pins in to reinforce them.

The only issue is you need to be careful with them to keep them straight when putting the mast up or down as the sideways pressure on the plastic connectors will break them, while they are not flimsy one need to take real care to keep it straight and supported at all times. Spare connectors and pins are available and are not expensive but its a bit of a pain replacing them.

I would think the Profurl would give better upwind performance than the CDI as I find it very hard to get a heap of forestay tension and the luff as tight as it could be with the CDI due to its design.

All up I do like the CDI and its easy to use characteristics, but I think the Profurl would make the boat a better sailor

http://www.profurl.com/images/info_page ... 15-229.pdf (see page 15 & 16 )
kadet
Admiral
Location: Brisbane, Australia. 2008M "Wicked Wave" Yamaha T60

Post by kadet »

kurz wrote:and what is better thand the CDI with the other models?
  • > Proper foils that maintain a better sail shape.
    > Foils that allow for easy sail change.
    > Bearinged drums that are easier to furl.
    > Decent sized drums that take a decent sized rope for easier furling.
    > Better more solid construction that reduce jamming.
    etc...
Judy B
First Officer
Sailboat: Other
Location: San Francisco Bay area and any where my hybrid SUV can tow my boat

Post by Judy B »

if you own a trailerable sailboat, a furler with a plastic foil (tube) has one very important advantage over a furler with a metal foil : The plastic foil/tube is much less likely to be damaged when you're raising/lowering/trailering the mast.

For the MacGregor 26M and X, the following furlers are trailering-friendly:
CDI FF2 (there's a special version for the Mac26X&M )
Schaefer SnapFurl CD500,
Hood Seaflex.
kadet
Admiral
Location: Brisbane, Australia. 2008M "Wicked Wave" Yamaha T60

Post by kadet »

Judy B wrote:if you own a trailerable sailboat, a furler with a plastic foil (tube) has one very important advantage over a furler with a metal foil : The plastic foil/tube is much less likely to be damaged when you're raising/lowering/trailering the mast.

For the MacGregor 26M and X, the following furlers are trailering-friendly:
CDI FF2 (there's a special version for the Mac26X&M )
Schaefer SnapFurl CD500,
Hood Seaflex.
However if you live in the tropics/sub-tropics that plastic foil soon ends up like a pretzel as it themo forms around anything it leans against in the summer sun. My CDI foil is toast, putting in a pipe like they suggest to straighten it did not work, even with a bit of heat gun help :). My new alloy foil furler is fine and it is less hassle to raise than the CDI if you use your head, the smaller alloy foils are far more forgiving than people give them credit for 8)
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

Does look like someone in MB bought the CDI business. Glad it didn't die!
Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander »

Catigale wrote:Does look like someone in MB bought the CDI business. Glad it didn't die!
If u have a CDI Furler the best up-grade u can do to it is remove the drum bushing & install a bearing kit especially if u use a genny on it , I had a couple & gave one to my good friend Beene @ this yrs MMOR , he could not believe the diff it made while furling his genny

J :wink: