Downside of a Mac at a club

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

DaveC426913
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Downside of a Mac at a club

Post by DaveC426913 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:53 pm

Today is mast-unstepping day at the club, in prep for haulout next week.

I went out with my bro and a friend of his who has been asking all summer to go out. 20 knots gusting to 30 and a temp of 5-10 degrees (thats 40-50F). I put out about 40% of the genny and we all but got knocked down. So no sailing today,

When I got back to the club, the Director took me aside and told me ''when all these guys are here busting their humps to get masts unstepped, seeing you going out for a sail kind of gets under their skin."

I said nothing. What am I gonna say?

(I don't think 'get a Mac!' would have gone over well.) :P

yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Re: Downside of a Mac at a club

Post by yukonbob » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:28 pm

Should've told him they shouldn't be worried about what's under their skin and should be more concerned about what's crawled up their a$$es :P

I met a couple this summer on a Taswell 42-43 and they ended up coming out fishing with us on the Mac! Finally people with more common sense than ego. :)

Starscream
Captain

Post by Starscream » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:57 pm

Lol.

I got the same kind of good/bad humor from the guys at the club too. Everyone else has to go through the haul out procedure but I get to take my boat home with me when I'm darn well good and ready to. I came around the breakwater at full speed the other day, heading home at 21 knots and got a shout of "show off!" and another one of "you forgot your water skis" as I idled past the poor schlumps working to prep their "real" sailboats for haulout. I wouldn't normally do that but I was the only boat out on the lake. Plus, yes, I was showing off, and no I didn't forget the waterskis. I intentionally didn't bring them with me that time.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:11 am

That's one (of a few) reason I don't do yacht clubs. There's a 'working' club I visit some times, as it's a nice destination that's easy to sail to in less than a day (when the wind holds), but there are work days, including launch and haul where they hire a crane, and everyone is expected to show up to work. I do things on my own schedule. And I'm not all that sociable anyway (the MMOR is the apogee of sailboat socializing, or any socializing for that matter, for me :D ).

As to sailing when the others are working, well, they should sell their dock queens and get a trailer boat with no systems to winterize. Or stay with big keel boats, enjoy the amenities during the summer, and don't complain when those with much less room and few amenities don't have to work as hard. I no longer have a huge cockpit, microwave oven, hot water and shower, gas range (biscuits - yummm), built-in TV, etc. It's a trade-off, and I don't have to work as hard in the fall, and I like it that way. That's the way it goes.

Oh, and to borrow a line from Groucho, I don’t want to belong to any club that would accept me as one of its members. :P

yukonbob
Admiral
Sailboat: Other

Post by yukonbob » Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:58 am

I always find with those kind of clubs someone ends up losing out and the first to complain about others not doing their part is the guy who reaps the most reward. Nice idea but never well practiced.

RussMT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by RussMT » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:23 am

In my best Simon Cowell voice "Sorry".

Y.B.Normal
First Officer

Post by Y.B.Normal » Sun Oct 23, 2016 1:57 pm

I really don't have that problem in my club. Most of the members admire my 26M for what it can do. Of course, our club is pretty low-key, even though some of the members have money. Then again, our "clubhouse" is a small storage shed. Our club was founded in 1864 by some of the wealthy paper industry families as a sailing club "that promotes sailing skills and seamanship at a modest cost."

Crikey
Admiral
Location: Washago, Muskoka, Ontario, Canada, Earth, Singularity.Suzuki DF60A. Boat name: Crikey!

Post by Crikey » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:02 pm

Tomfoolery wrote:And I'm not all that sociable anyway (the MMOR is the apogee of sailboat socializing, or any socializing for that matter, for me :D ). That's the way it goes. :P
Why Tom, I hope the next time we meet - we need to drink to "We don' need no stinkin borders!" :D

Neo
Captain

Post by Neo » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:58 am

Sorry gents but what is Mast stepping??
Y.B.Normal wrote:Then again, our "clubhouse" is a small storage shed. Our club was founded in 1864 by some of the wealthy paper industry families as a sailing club "that promotes sailing skills and seamanship at a modest cost."
I wish I could find a club like this ... it would be so cooooool 8)

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:22 am

Neo wrote:Sorry gents but what is Mast stepping??
Installing (stepping) or removing (unstepping) the mast. Not nearly as easy with a larger boat, especially when the mast is keel-stepped (mast slides into a hole in the deck and bears on the top of the keel).

Many clubs have a pole derrick with manual winches, mounted dock side, such as this one.

A small crane is common on Travelifts®, installed just for that purpose.

It's a chore, requiring some care and diligence, so the rigging doesn't get dragged along the edge of a shed roof by a couple of trained 'professionals' and get tar on the shiny stainless ropes. :x

But I digress. :|

Neo
Captain

Post by Neo » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:45 am

Ok I get it now ... Thanks Tom :)

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:27 am

DaveC426913 wrote:Today is mast-unstepping day at the club, in prep for haulout next week.

I went out with my bro and a friend of his who has been asking all summer to go out. 20 knots gusting to 30 and a temp of 5-10 degrees (thats 40-50F). I put out about 40% of the genny and we all but got knocked down. So no sailing today,

When I got back to the club, the Director took me aside and told me ''when all these guys are here busting their humps to get masts unstepped, seeing you going out for a sail kind of gets under their skin."

I said nothing. What am I gonna say?

(I don't think 'get a Mac!' would have gone over well.) :P
"They aren't made any more" would have even less popular...

:D :D :D

The definition of "non-social" in upstate NY is someone who doesn't small talk while he winches you out of a ditch you slid into in winter - and refuses money of course.

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Thu Nov 03, 2016 3:42 pm

Im guilty as a member of 2 yacht clubs (Former Commodore of 1)

I find that most people love the Mac, she gets plenty of positive attention when tied up at the dock and most are more than amazed at what she can do, unfortunately there are always a few that want to tell me "she isnt a REAL sailboat" but they are normally people that have never been on one and are under some sort of strange misapprehension that the sails are just for show.

Funny thing is most of these own boats that are actually slower (on handicap and most points of sail) than the Mac.

I have plenty of friends with real fast trailer sailors that race all the time (they dont do much else but race) and they are always positive about the Mac, and while she cant punch into the wind like they do, if they stand on their boats gunnel its almost in the water they are that tippy

DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:11 pm

Tomfoolery wrote:
Many clubs have a pole derrick with manual winches, mounted dock side, such as this one.
In their defense, our club has 180 boats. We bring in two monster cranes and get all 180 unstepped in a day and a half.

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:12 am

What is this strange thing of unstepping masts, cant work out why one would do that.

We have heaps of keel boats on the hard stand with their masts up

In general we dont take our boats out of the water for winter here, but then again the water doesnt freeze