A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

tp56ihs
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Looking for easy Mac boarding in campground

Post by tp56ihs » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:29 pm

Hi Folks,
I plan on using my Mac 26x for land camping and need some ideas for EASILY getting on/off the boat on land. Cant wait to see what y'all come up with :)

Thanks,
Tom
Wind Wager :macx:

kmclemore
Site Admin
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Re: Looking for easy Mac boarding in campground

Post by kmclemore » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:36 pm

What's the matter with the stock ladder? I use it all the time on land.

tp56ihs
Chief Steward

Post by tp56ihs » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:42 pm

My 1996 x never had one. I added a Armstrong dive ladder but it seems like a lot of pressure on the glass when used on dry land. I did use a 5" by 9" epoxied wood backing plate when I mounted it.

Captain Jim
Engineer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Fort Miller, N.Y.; "BOLD VENTURE"; 2006 26M Blue ; 05 Honda 50Hp 4 S

Post by Captain Jim » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:35 pm

5 foot stepladder.

Cap. Jim

K9Kampers
Admiral

Post by K9Kampers » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:02 pm

Used at home and at launch sites, stores easily in truck...

ULLR
Deckhand

Post by ULLR » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:05 pm

I usually just use the swim ladder at the rear when it is on the trailer or if I am in and out lots I put a 2' stepladder with 3 steps and slide it in between the motor and the right rudder. Having an M and limited space to squeeze through at the transom I also lower the motor and the rudder on the left side to make more space. One of those plastic step stools you can get to use around the house would probably work as well. On the dock I have a portable boarding ladder that I bought and modified to hang over the side for easier access, it's a big step up to the side of the boat.

Bilgemaster
First Officer
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine

Post by Bilgemaster » Wed Dec 21, 2016 9:06 am

My X's original stern ladder, mounted between the motor and the port rudder on the transom got a bit bent up somehow, so her PO removed it and mounted a slightly longer one to port of the rudder. I'm not sure what make it is, or where he got it, but it's hardly an exotic bit of equipment. This seems a fairly ideal position for it, since I don't need to squeeze my fat ass and whatever else I may be carrying (OK, so it's a 12 pack of Yuengling lager) between that port rudder and the engine, and with a little plank of some found wood on the ground underneath the bottom of the ladder, it forms a genteel incline, like stairs. In fact, unlike the original ladder, it has some little plastic flats atop its rungs. Also, that port stern rail makes for a handy firm hand hold. I just have to step over the rudder uphaul line, but this is second nature now. Here's how she looks:

Sea Wind
First Officer

Post by Sea Wind » Wed Dec 21, 2016 10:04 am

We have a ladder like bilgemaster's but it is not convenient for the kids to use from land (or pretty much anytime the rudders are up), so I usually go up on that ladder and store the stepladder in the cockpit for the rest of the family to come aboard. We have stayed in a lot of RV campgrounds and it is always funny to see how people react when they realize that they are parked next to a sailboat.

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Thu Dec 22, 2016 12:43 pm

At home when the boat is parked in it's driveway along the side of the house I have a 4 foot fiberglass ladder that fits right between the rudder and the motor. It's really easy to get in and out using that ladder. Because it's fiberglass it's light, and I guess you could throw it into the cockpit when your on the road but it's not as convenient as the factory boarding ladder when traveling in campgrounds and launch ramps.

The factory ladder is great for traveling because it stows out of the way so well. It's a great ladder - most trailer sail boat owners are climbing into their boats by stepping on the trailer fenders - that's really inconvenient especially for the women folk.

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:50 pm

BOAT wrote:The factory ladder is great for traveling because it stows out of the way so well.
Mine is OK, though narrow. But it really needs one more step. It's very hard to get a foot into that bottom rung when in the water, as it's way too high up. My kids can manage it, but I'm just not that limber any more.

Thinking about adding a rope and wood tread rung to extend it. I haven't been able to find a three-rung ladder of the same narrow width.

Ponaldpe
First Officer

Post by Ponaldpe » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:32 pm

This what I did with my Ladder, it is better to get onboard , you do have bring it to just the right spot as not to hang-up the steering. I have never motored with it down, it should not hit anything I just do not want to find out I am wrong. It is easier to get in and out of the boat on the hard, my boarding challenged 1st mate can make it even with her bum nee .

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Thu Dec 22, 2016 3:36 pm

Ponaldpe wrote:Image

This what I did with my Ladder, it is better to get onboard , you do have bring it to just the right spot as not to hang-up the steering. I have never motored with it down, it should not hit anything I just do not want to find out I am wrong. It is easier to get in and out of the boat on the hard, my boarding challenged 1st mate can make it even with her bum nee .

Where the heck do people learn to weld like that??? Man, I wish I could weld stuff - I could build all kinds of cool things if I could weld.

Ponaldpe
First Officer

Post by Ponaldpe » Thu Dec 22, 2016 4:31 pm

BOAT wrote:
Ponaldpe wrote:Image

Where the heck do people learn to weld like that??? Man, I wish I could weld stuff - I could build all kinds of cool things if I could weld.
BOAT If you have no one to train you , get a welder, welding helmet, and a grinder, weld some grind a lot until the welding can be done with out grinding. Class over good luck. Don

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:03 pm

Give me the list of stuff to buy - I don't know nothin bout welding but I'm willing to give it a try.

What welder should I get? and what other things do I need?

I can only weld certain metals. right? Is there an online place that will tell me what to do the first time I fire up that welder? I'm gonna try it - I have a lot of stuff I could make.

Ponaldpe
First Officer

Post by Ponaldpe » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:13 pm

BOAT wrote:Give me the list of stuff to buy - I don't know nothin bout welding but I'm willing to give it a try.

What welder should I get? and what other things do I need?

I can only weld certain metals. right? Is there an online place that will tell me what to do the first time I fire up that welder? I'm gonna try it - I have a lot of stuff I could make.

Their are many U-Tube how to weld . But no their is no fire it up and weld right off the bat. A 140 wire feed welder with gas regulator, welding helmet, gas bottle , the gas you should check local supply for the best option, buy or rent. The wire feed welder can do a lot and will be easier to learn on than a stick welder. the best way is to take a class or find a trainer . But you can on your own learn to weld and build on your own.