whisker pole

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: whisker pole

Post by Tomfoolery »

Newell wrote:I have the 6/12 whisker poles always attached to the front of both my Macs.
Is that adequate for the 150 genoa, or do you just use it for the working jib? Seems a bit short for a genoa, but that's why I'm asking. :)
Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

U know Spinnaker Poles do not always have to b mounted on the Mast !

J 8)
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

U know that once u install a whisker pole u also need to buy a set of these so as u will not stagger while on deck ! :P
http://www.homewetbar.com/Roly-Poly-Dou ... -1082.html

Just Sayin That,s All

J :wink:
Newell
First Officer

Post by Newell »

It would be interesting to know how many Mac drivers use symmetrical spins? I would guess a 2' section would fit most spinnaker set ups, if placed correctly on the mast.
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

Newell wrote:It would be interesting to know how many Mac drivers use symmetrical spins? I would guess a 2' section would fit most spinnaker set ups, if placed correctly on the mast.
Mine is a real early X and came from the PO with a symmetric spinnaker, have credit card in hand just about to pull the plug and order a Asymmetric after much study into pros and cons of symmetric V Assy.

Seems the major drawback of Asymmetric isnt the actual sail as much as perception and some class rules dont allow them, because they were known as cruising spinnakers some of the hard core have not come around to finding the joys and speed it can bring. last race I was officiating at the assy boys sailed over the top of symmetric mob at closing speeds that were frightening even though the finishing line was dead down wind of the final mark
1st Sail
Captain

Post by 1st Sail »

Received my spin mast track and spin pole slide today. Now I just have to run lines for the spin pole and wait for the perfect winds.
Wind Chime
Captain
Location: Vancouver, B.C. Canada. 2000-26X, Suzuki-50hp, 8' Walker-Bay tender (with sailkit)

Post by Wind Chime »

Newell wrote:It would be interesting to know how many Mac drivers use symmetrical spins? I would guess a 2' section would fit most spinnaker set ups, if placed correctly on the mast.
Here's our spinnaker mast track with adjustable car.

Works well with our;
1) Spinnaker Pole for,
- Symmetrical Spinnaker.

2) Whisker Pole for, (although a little short)
- Asymmetrical Spinnaker
- Genaker
- polling out our Genoa downwind

Here's another thread with other info about our setup.
http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/v ... er#p306247

Here's our Symmetrical on a starboard set. You can see the topping lift (black line) connecting to the pole bridle just above the dodger.
Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

Tomfoolery wrote:The added 6 ft of metal on the face of the mast also reinforces against fore/aft bending anyway, assuming a track (I thought, in my previous response, that you already had a track there, though I guess I was mistaken).

Having the pole horizontal means it doesn't react any of the vertical component of the sheet, and only be able to push straight outward, depending on how it's sheeted (the clew raises as the sail 'pumps', which they tend to do without a downhaul). If the sail pumps too much at a particular point of sail, you can add a downhaul, which can even be the lee sheet, to hold it down and prevent pumping in a seaway.
Hi Tom,

I've re-read your write-up a few times and yesterday I had the Mast up and Jib out on the driveway.
I won't be changing my sails much so I'm focusing on getting just the Jib working a whisker pole . It's 100% Jib so when fully out it's still in front of the mast. The Chew is very low (8" above the mast base) so I'm assuming 6ft of track is way too much for me (?).... but how much track do you think I'll need?...If I understand this right I'll need to adjust the position of the pole if the Jib starts beating?
The Jib foot is 10.4ft but there's no way I can make the pole that long because the the Jib pushes (fouls) hard against the pulpit bars by then. So it looks like my max pole length is set and limited by the car position (on the mast track) and the pulpit?

Are the Macgregor standard tracks "Ronstan Series 25 T-Track"? .... Is this stuff too wide for the front of the Mast?
http://www.ronstan.com/marine/range.asp?RnID=289
Wind Chime wrote: Image
Wind Chime is that Ronstan Series 25 T-Track you have on the front of your Mast?

Many thanks.
Neo
Wind Chime
Captain
Location: Vancouver, B.C. Canada. 2000-26X, Suzuki-50hp, 8' Walker-Bay tender (with sailkit)

Post by Wind Chime »

Neo wrote:
Wind Chime wrote: Image
Wind Chime is that Ronstan Series 25 T-Track you have on the front of your Mast?

Many thanks.
Neo
Neo,
Not Ronstan, I didn't see the value benifit in having high grade for this item. Standard 1" track and has performed with no performance issues, even when racing or under high load.
Darry
Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

Wind Chime wrote:Not Ronstan, I didn't see the value benefit in having high grade for this item. Standard 1" track and has performed with no performance issues, even when racing or under high load.
Thanks Darry, but who makes "Standard 1" track"? .... The Ronstan Track is a bit expensive for my liking too so it would be good to find a cheaper solution :)
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

1" or 25mm (doesn't matter) should have a small concave on the underside, so it contacts the mast along two lines and therefore won't rock. I think Schaefer is the lowest cost, but that may (probably) depend(s) on where you buy it. The ring car will cost more than the track.

But if you're only using the working jib, you don't really need to adjust the ring. Run the pole out all the way, and unfurl the jib completely, attach the outboard end to the sheet, and set the ring to where the pole is level.

That's how I set my big boat up. With the pole extended, I could furl the jib most of the way (but not completely), but that was enough. A patch of sail extended when sailing downwind was fine, as the pole and the wind would hold it forward, so it was completely de-powered, and I could then go forward and release the line control to collapse the pole. So if the pole is extended to more than the length of the foot, it will simply hold the clew forward until you release the pole, and it doesn't matter what angle the pole takes with the sail rolled onto the furler.

For downwind sailing with the working jib on an :macx: (hardly a racing machine), it really only matters that the pole is horizontal with the jib fully out, at whatever pole extension is best.

I'm not suggesting you shouldn't have a car and track system, but it's a lot of money, and the Forespar 12' twistlock whisker pole actually comes with a Lexan or Maralon ring for the mast. A track and car could almost double the cost. But if you want to use a track, if it were me, I set the track so the jib clew has the car at or near the top of the track, and the genoa (which I think has a lower clew) would then require the car at a lower elevation, so you'd have to test both to find where a short track (the shortest that will work) should land, before buying track (a 2 footer may be adequate) and drilling holes.

And do consider adding ends to the track, so there aren't any sharp corners for the genoa to get ripped by.
Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander »

As Tom say,s mast ring I believe 43" up the mast from the base I,ll check today when I go out to the boat
here,s my boat hook converted to a whisker pole so it,s now duel purpose easy conversion mod that someone posted on this sites mod section
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab1/ ... tauzqm.jpg

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab1/ ... 8hkmzw.jpg

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab1/ ... 7oy9cp.jpg

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab1/ ... swukbl.jpg

my forespar whisker pole
http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab1/ ... 69gwtl.jpg

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab1/ ... h5dh5j.jpg

http://i844.photobucket.com/albums/ab1/ ... biqtyp.jpg

the forespare pole came with the plastic mast ring but because I put both poles on the same mast ring going down wind @ the same time I opt for a metal mast ring

J 8)
Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

Tomfoolery wrote:A patch of sail extended when sailing downwind was fine, as the pole and the wind would hold it forward, so it was completely de-powered, and I could then go forward and release the line control to collapse the pole. So if the pole is extended to more than the length of the foot, it will simply hold the clew forward until you release the pole, and it doesn't matter what angle the pole takes with the sail rolled onto the furler.

For downwind sailing with the working jib on an :macx: (hardly a racing machine), it really only matters that the pole is horizontal with the jib fully out, at whatever pole extension is best.
But if you want to use a track, if it were me, I set the track so the jib clew has the car at or near the top of the track, and the genoa (which I think has a lower clew)
My old Genoa had a much, much higher Chew than my new Jib. Not sure on the height but when furled I could only just reach the Chew if I stood on the pulpit bars :|

If I go for T-Track I think I'll mount it around 8" and up. I have found some cheaper Tracks but the cost of a bullnose Schaefer Spinnaker Pole Slider seems crazy :?
Highlander wrote:As Tom say,s mast ring I believe 43" up the mast from the base I,ll check today when I go out to the boat
Hi Highlander, are you referring to the MRS bail? ... I have the new triangular type (from BWY). It's a fat bar, awkward shape and I think it's way too high up for pole to my Jib.
BTW with your hook pole, did you cut a thread for the paint roller handle?.... If so, how did you do that?

Thanks for all the info guys.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

Neo wrote:
Tomfoolery wrote:A patch of sail extended when sailing downwind was fine, as the pole and the wind would hold it forward, so it was completely de-powered, and I could then go forward and release the line control to collapse the pole. So if the pole is extended to more than the length of the foot, it will simply hold the clew forward until you release the pole, and it doesn't matter what angle the pole takes with the sail rolled onto the furler.

But if you want to use a track, if it were me, I set the track so the jib clew has the car at or near the top of the track, and the genoa (which I think has a lower clew)
My old Genoa had a much, much higher Chew than my new Jib. Not sure on the height but when furled I could only just reach the Chew if I stood on the pulpit bars :|

If I go for T-Track I think I'll mount it around 8" and up. I have found some cheaper Tracks but the cost of a bullnose Schaefer Spinnaker Pole Slider seems crazy :?
Remember that the forestay is on an angle, and that clew will come down a bit as it unfurls. The sketch below is an exaggeration, but shows what I mean.

Don't take chances - unfurl the sail, hook on the pole, and use a level to see where the mast end wants to be. Even better with a little bit of wind to fill the sail.

At least, that's what I'd do.
Neo
Admiral

Post by Neo »

Tomfoolery wrote:Don't take chances - unfurl the sail, hook on the pole, and use a level to see where the mast end wants to be. Even better with a little bit of wind to fill the sail.
Thanks Tom .... I agree 100% :)