ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home
Blue Water Yachts Marine Marketing

Decking to cover the fuel line and motor linkage

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Decking to cover the fuel line and motor linkage

Postby Photoman369 » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:27 pm

I would like to put in a platform on the stern deck behind the ridge at the stern end of the cockpit deck. I want it to cover the fuel line and steering linkage. This would make a nice clear are to use to step on or get up into boat. You wouldn't have to worry about stepping on things you shouldn't and provide better footing.
Has anyone already done this and if so do you have pics and explanation of what to consider.

You would need supports to keep it off the line and linkage but support your weight and provide room for everything to move and not hinder raising the motor. :|
Photoman369
Chief Steward

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Decking to cover the fuel line and motor linkage

Postby Highlander » Sat Mar 18, 2017 3:33 pm

Lots of guy,s with :macx: have done that mod look in the MODS Section their should b posts & pic,s of it there :wink:

J 8)
Highlander
Admiral

Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby Chinook » Sat Mar 18, 2017 11:10 pm

I did that for our X a number of years ago. Makes it much easier to get in and out of the dinghy. Also provides a handy place to strap on extra plastic jerry gas cans. One thing to be careful of, a lesson I learned the hard way. On our Loop trip I managed to chafe through the electrical umbilical that runs from the throttle control box, back to the engine. Since this wire bundle runs under my stern platform, I failed to notice that the steering arms had started to chafe the wire bundle. After sawing through a couple of wires, I discovered the hard way that each of those wires really does serve a critical function. Once they were cut through, the engine immediately died. Hard problem to find, for a while at least.
Chinook
Admiral

Postby Photoman369 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:04 pm

Highlander wrote:Lots of guy,s with :macx: have done that mod look in the MODS Section their should b posts & pic,s of it there :wink:

J 8)

Thank you I found the posts great help
Photoman369
Chief Steward

Postby Photoman369 » Sun Mar 19, 2017 1:05 pm

Chinook wrote:I did that for our X a number of years ago. Makes it much easier to get in and out of the dinghy. Also provides a handy place to strap on extra plastic jerry gas cans. One thing to be careful of, a lesson I learned the hard way. On our Loop trip I managed to chafe through the electrical umbilical that runs from the throttle control box, back to the engine. Since this wire bundle runs under my stern platform, I failed to notice that the steering arms had started to chafe the wire bundle. After sawing through a couple of wires, I discovered the hard way that each of those wires really does serve a critical function. Once they were cut through, the engine immediately died. Hard problem to find, for a while at least.

That's is a good piece of information to have. Thank you make sure of electrical routing away from pinion and linkage.
Photoman369
Chief Steward

Return to MacGregor Powersailor Discussion