Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home
Boomkicker Banner

Any MAC owners in the Baltimore / Chesapeake area?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Any MAC owners in the Baltimore / Chesapeake area?

Postby eodjedi » Wed Jul 12, 2017 5:36 pm

I thought I'd ask, seeing as someone posted about Connecticut/NY. I'm always looking for fellow Mac owners to sail with. :macm:
eodjedi
Deckhand

Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Any MAC owners in the Baltimore / Chesapeake area?

Postby dbryceking » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:06 am

I out of Norfolk, VA. I am currently deployed but, will be back there this Winter. I plan to fix/upgrade my 26M over the winter as she has been trailered on my cousin's farm for the last three years. I would be interested in doing a Mac roundup in the Chesapeake Bay sometime in 2018.
dbryceking
Just Enlisted

Postby Sea Wind » Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:29 am

I am on the West River, 10 miles south of Annapolis.
Sea Wind
First Officer

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby Bilgemaster » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:39 am

It's a bit of a haul down and around and up, but me and my 26X "Breakin' Wind" are about 30 miles south of DC on the mighty Potomac at Leesylvania State Park, with nice docks, ramps, fuel and even lovely lovely showers (just the ticket for those August afternoons when you really feel like a big beef jerky strip doused in spoiled Ranch dressing), located at about 38.588365,-77.2529577).

Shoot me a PM through this forum with a number I can reach you if it looks like you're ever likely to find your way up this way. In an pinch I can always get my hands on an ice cold case of Yuengling, and my Durango tow beast is basically a rolling chandlery should you get stuck for something out hereabouts.

~Bilgey
Bilgemaster
First Officer

Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine

Postby Seapup » Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:52 pm

I out of Norfolk, VA. I am currently deployed but, will be back there this Winter. I plan to fix/upgrade my 26M over the winter as she has been trailered on my cousin's farm for the last three years. I would be interested in doing a Mac roundup in the Chesapeake Bay sometime in 2018.

I sailed my :macx: out of norfolk/VB 2010-2015 and still here and sailing daily with my other boat. Let me know if you want to meet up or get any ramp/marina details.
Seapup
Captain

Postby eodjedi » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:24 pm

Ah thanks for all the replies, sorry I've been out of it for awhile. Dbryceking I'm going to assume your in the Navy. I'm stationed out of Aberdeen Proving Grounds myself (Army) I think it would be great to get a meetup together in 2018. Sea Wind, I usually launch out of Sandy Point, small world, we'll have to get together sometime. Bilgemaster, I used to have a boat on the Potomac, a 1970 42FT Chris Craft Commander. I used to launch out of the Woodbridge Marina by exit 160 on i95. I actually piloted the boat down the Potomac and up the Cheasepeake to the Annapolis area around January of 2015. It was one hull of a haul. I learned quickly then that sailing would be a better fit for me (1600.00 in gas alone for that trip).
eodjedi
Deckhand

Postby jstyers » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:54 pm

I'm sailing posting.php?mode=reply&f=9&t=26290#out of Mayo, MD. Casa Rio marina. I was headed that way this evening to launch, spend the night on the boat and sail all day tomorrow. I was willing to battle the rain but not the traffic. Couldn't get out of Alexandria for the traffic jam on the Wilson Bridge heading towards MD. I'll head over first thing on Saturday, wind forecast looks good for tomorrow.
jstyers
Chief Steward

Postby eodjedi » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:35 am

I plan on taking out the boat next weekend. I'm finishing up an A/C install this weekend.
eodjedi
Deckhand

Postby QuiteLucid » Sat Jul 15, 2017 1:57 pm

I will be taking possession of my first 26M sometime in the next 2 weeks and will be docked down at Occoquan Harbour Marina. Would love to link up with any other Mac owners in the area soon!

James
QuiteLucid

Postby eodjedi » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:35 pm

I'm fairly sure that was the Marina I was at. Right next to the i95 bridge. So is she a blank canvas or has there been work done to her. I actually bought my :macm: in March of this year down in Occoquan.
eodjedi
Deckhand

Postby Bilgemaster » Sun Jul 16, 2017 10:02 am

QuiteLucid wrote:I will be taking possession of my first 26M sometime in the next 2 weeks and will be docked down at Occoquan Harbour Marina. Would love to link up with any other Mac owners in the area soon!

James

Well, QuiteLucid, that means that I and at least three other Mac owners (if you count a venerable little late '60s Venture 17) are almost literally "just down around the corner" from you, where your Occoquan Bay becomes the Potomac, at the Leesylvania State Park boat lot, maybe four miles by water south from your Occoquan Bay Marina...just long enough to get that engine nicely warmed up and blow those cobwebs out. Even just burbling along you could be down that way in less than half an hour.

If you're new to sailing or could maybe still use an ASA course or three under your belt, Woodbridge Sailing School is also there in the park. Its new proprietor Cameron is a longtime instructor there who took over the school from its previous owner Danny, who's finally sailed off in his bluewatery Bristol to live the dream in the Virgin Islands. Cameron is a superb fellow who knows his stuff. In fact, when I first got my 26X, it was Cameron who helped tune her rigging "just so" and brought me out for my very first sail in her. He can take you out for a lesson on your own boat, or in one of the school's several various Catalinas. Tell him the "boat-car guy" sent you. There's usually ample dock space between the school and the park's launch ramps to easily put in, and noone's too fussy about it, even an overnighter, especially if you clear it with the school. It's a bit shallow around the docks at low tide, so come in with your 26M's centerboard maybe only 1/4 of the way down and you'll be just fine. There are lovely showers and whatnot over behind the park store, the grill in which also does a decent enough cheeseburger.

Drop me a PM through the forum with your contact info, and I'll respond in kind in case you make your way on over. Gimme a holler and If nothing else, we can give you a beer and a quick splash in an Amphicar. I live only about 10 minutes from the park.
Bilgemaster
First Officer

Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine

Postby henecle » Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:41 pm

I still have my :macx: boat at Leesylvania... haven't had the cover off in a couple of years as life happens. I may try to get her out and shined back up later this summer.
henecle
Deckhand

Postby Bilgemaster » Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:25 pm

henecle wrote:I still have my :macx: boat at Leesylvania... haven't had the cover off in a couple of years as life happens. I may try to get her out and shined back up later this summer.

Well, that's a very fine bespoke cover she's wearing, and it seems to be hanging on there just fine and doing its job well. From what I can see of her just across from my own 26X, your "Boom-Shaka-Laka" is looking pretty good and just patiently missing you. Of course, there's no telling how her cabin looks mold or mildew-wise or what "live entertainment" may have taken up residence here and there. The wasps have been particularly adventuresome this year. So, when you come around, you'd probably do well to bring some bug spray...maybe even one of those bug bombs. Some bleach/water mix in a spray bottle and lots of towels might not be a bad idea either.

Hope to see you around soon! Feel free to enjoy that "Big Blue Umbrella Bistro" area with the little folding chairs and tables across from you, next to my own X, and get out of that sun and chill out between scrubbings. No need to get all "sun-strokey". And don't forget, there's that lovely shower down there behind the Marina Store--one of my very favorite places on earth after a fun-filled baking summer afternoon of sanding or scrubbing or painting or even sailing. Just me and my bar of pine tar soap, blast away those cruds, cool the blood, and then out just around the corner to the teak bench on the veranda in the shade for a cigar. Lovely. The grill inside makes a pretty decent cheeseburger, too.
Bilgemaster
First Officer

Postby Bilgemaster » Sat Jul 22, 2017 6:16 pm

henecle: I was in the Park early this morning sorting out some stuff on my X, and took a few shots of yours before the heat chased me away, which I've just sent you via PM. We had a brief power outage here about the same time I was sending, so I'm not 100% sure they made the whole trip. They seem to be milling around in my PM's Outbox just now. So, drop me a PM if they don't arrive at your end.

As you'll see Boom-Shaka-Laka looks just fine. A little creepy-crawling vine action, but nothing too "all-engulfing" for now. My "Foundling" Com-Pac 16 had far worse, and ultimately and literally required a goddamned machete to get her free of their grip. In short, that superb tailored cover of yours was money well spent. Frankly, I wouldn't mind learning some details about it.
Bilgemaster
First Officer

Return to MacGregor Powersailor Discussion