ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home
Blue Water Yachts Marine Marketing

Mooring Difficulties

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Mooring Difficulties

Postby macdesub » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:37 pm

I have had problems mooring my 26m to docks, piers and onto the trailer, in fact taken some rough bangs! I have moored many types of boats in the past, powered and just sail, and I have found the Macgregor to be the most difficult to handle at slow speed!

I bought the boat with a new engine installed, an Evinrude 60, and as I've tried to fathom my mooring difficulties, I've noticed that the engine drive appears to be slightly off center. If this is the cause this would require a major remount and $$$$!

Anyone had or heard of similar problems? Thanks
macdesub

Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Mooring Difficulties

Postby sailboatmike » Fri Jul 14, 2017 12:02 am

Do you have at least 1 rudder (2 is better) and your centerboard down when attempting to come into dock??

These things can be beasts without rudders and centerboard giving directional stability and lateral resistance.

You have a big motor, use it to your advantage, a quick handful of throttle can get you out of trouble real fast as the prop bites.

I must admit that getting one of these things in well can be a challenge until you learn the boat
sailboatmike
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby NiceAft » Fri Jul 14, 2017 6:17 am

macdesub,

It's not you. Don't fret. These boats are extremely hard to control at low speed.

When approaching, or leaving a dock, as pointed out in the previous post, keep boards down ( at least one rudder and always the daggerboard ). Mac's have very high freeboard, so if there is any sort of a breeze, it even becomes more difficult. This all means that you have to have quick throttle control, and good, large fenders in place :)

It is my belief that backing in is easier. You stand in front of the pedestal. This allows you to face the stern, and drive the boat in without figuring out which way to turn the wheel. I was given this hint years ago by a board member, and it worked for me. If there is a strong cross wind blowing you away from the dock, forget everything said here, you're toast :D

Ray
NiceAft
Admiral

Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Postby Jimmyt » Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:12 am

Piling on to what Ray said, these boats are virtually unmanageable in a strong cross wind. I've been boating all my life and got totally humiliated the first time I tried to drive my Mac onto the trailer in a cross wind. When we have to put her on the trailer in a cross wind, we dock first and manually put her on the trailer with dock lines. I spent a month getting my hull slicked up from the PO's dings. Don't want to put any new ones on myself.

Take Ray's advice to heart. Motoring in reverse is the best control in a jam. This is particularly true when maneuvering in shallow water where you can't get rudders or significant centerboard down.

Love my boat, but did have to learn new habits regarding loading on the trailer and shallow water maneuvering in strong breezes.
Jimmyt
First Officer

Postby Phil M » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:00 am

And don't forget to have the steering linkage to the motor connected when you need it the most for control. Under way, out in the open, the motor can be fixed straight ahead and the Rudders will take care of steering. You need to have a mechanism for quickly connecting and disconnecting the motor.
Phil M
Captain

Postby BOAT » Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:48 am

If your going to drive the boat with no ballast and all boards up think of it as a barge or a giant Clorox bottle - it will not be controlled at all in straight lines.

I had to practice a lot with the boat in tight spaces because in the beginning I was all over the place so I picked a dock right in front of the Jolly Roger restaurant that was down a narrow inlet with a cross breeze - I did it over and over again to see what worked. I call this shallow water training - your driving the boat with no boards or ballast - Now I do it all the time in knee deep water near rocks to take on passengers - it's fun.

First off, going backwards works the best - and when you go backwards don't even pay attention where the bow goes - it does not matter - just make the stern go where you want it to go and let the bow do whatever it wants - the boat will crab in wherever your trying to go doing this even un-ballasted with boards up.

Sometimes backwards is not possible - like going into the trailer - in those cases you need to line up the boat with the wind FIRST - make sure the boat is pointing in the same direction as the trailer even if the trailer is way off to the left or right - then nudge the boat forward as you drift to the left or right (making sure your drifting TOWARDS the trailer) - you need to use the throttle to make the boat land on the trailer at the right moment your blown directly behind the trailer - it's hard and takes practice. If your regular ramp setup has no dock and there is always a cross wind (that's how the Shelter Island ramp is in San Diego) then it's better to rig up ropes on the trailer - tie ropes from the trailer side posts up to the front support tightly to help guide the boat into the trailer - it's REALLY hard to do it without.

Otherwise - fill the ballast and put all boards down - if you can do that the boat will behave pretty much like any other boat - of course you can't have the DB down going on to a trailer so that's always going to be hard.
BOAT
Admiral

Postby Nauti Nell » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:24 pm

Regarding getting on the trailer. All that has been said is true on the approach but with any wind or current it is a bear to keep the boat from going on sideways. We found putting these on was a HUGE help. http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-5 ... 309251421/ Almost feels like cheating.
Nauti Nell
Deckhand

Postby Baha » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:36 am

The guy I moored next to this week gave me some advice. When he is single handing, and getting blown off the finder mooring, he has fenders rigged on both sides, lets his boat slide over next to the one upwind or upcurrent, then moves it over with dock lines. I think I would ask permission first-but it sounds like a great plan.
Baha
Engineer

Postby DaveC426913 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:09 pm

Nauti Nell wrote:Regarding getting on the trailer. All that has been said is true on the approach but with any wind or current it is a bear to keep the boat from going on sideways. We found putting these on was a HUGE help. http://www.basspro.com/Bass-Pro-Shops-5 ... 309251421/ Almost feels like cheating.

Heh. Before I saw the product, I thought maybe you'd stumbled on to my future dream purchase: a trolling motor - used as a bowthruster
DaveC426913
Admiral

Postby DaveC426913 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:10 pm

Don't forget that the Mac steers by the stern. Very strongly.

If you have to make a tight turn in a marina, you'll find those gold-plated dock queens very close, very fast.
DaveC426913
Admiral

Postby macdesub » Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:17 pm

Thanks All!

I'll try the driving in reverse operation, probably make an even bigger fool of myself, and may order the trailer sideboards.
macdesub

Postby Québec 1 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 7:59 pm

Québec 1 wrote:I did this to aid Le Zephyr return to the trailer. I don't care about the height of the guides. This rope system costs 20$ and assures le Zephyr of a gentle return to her trailer absolutely every time.

Québec 1
Admiral

Postby Y.B.Normal » Sun Jul 16, 2017 8:31 pm

When docking, I have my board down about 6"-1' ands both rudders up. I'm used to driving powerboats and treat my 26M like one. In cross winds blowing away from the dock (seawall), I come in bow first, at about a 45 degree angle to hook up the bow first. I then put it in reverse, turn the back of the motor toward the dock, and bring in the stern. I use the same method with a cross wind blowing into the dock, except I reverse the motor and turn the back of the motor away from the dock and use it like a brake to slow the boat down as I get blown toward the dock. I feel that the motor without the rudders works better than with using the rudders because you're turning your propulsion source and don't need water flowing over it as you do with the rudders. Another trick I learned from Jack Klang at a boat show is to toss the dock line around the dock post or cleat once, then secure it to the boat cleat. This gives you total control of your lines from the boat; you don't have to jump onto the pier from the boat or from the pier to the boat. I operate in a river/lake and have to deal with currents as well as winds. This works for me, your results may vary. :D
Y.B.Normal
First Officer

Postby Baha » Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:25 am

I really like getting a mid-line secured first when singlehanding. I need to think of a good way to get the line reliably over the cleat from the cockpit now.....something on the boathook?

I don't like stepping off to get the first line on....
Baha
Engineer

Postby Bilgemaster » Mon Jul 17, 2017 6:21 am

Québec 1 wrote:
Québec 1 wrote:I did this to aid Le Zephyr return to the trailer. I don't care about the height of the guides. This rope system costs 20$ and assures le Zephyr of a gentle return to her trailer absolutely every time.

Those rope and swim noodle guides seem like a fine idea. Thanks! I might try something like that, even though I've sort of got the hang of getting my 26X onto her trailer by hand. I just wade right on in there on the ramp, pulling and guiding her by her bow line. I just need to keep her leeward side towards the dock, and she usually waddles right on without too much fuss. But with changeable or uncertain winds or waves, those lines look like they might really help make the whole operation just a little more foolproof. Then again, I'm an awfully formidable fool!

I occurs to me that this idea might be one well worth having its own little Mods page.
Bilgemaster
First Officer

Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine

Next

Return to MacGregor Powersailor Discussion