ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home
Boomkicker Banner

Damage ? Or are the hulls that thin

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Damage ? Or are the hulls that thin

Postby whgoffrn » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:09 pm

Yesterday when I was cleaning out the boat from the trip to the keys i noticed I could literally see through the hull in a couple spots ....it was a very bright sunny day and when I opened up underneath of both seats starboard side I could see a little bit of light actually penetrating through the fiberglass in a horizontal strip ....anf I can't help but wonder if this was always there or if the paint just blocks out the sunlight and some of the paint wore off..... I didn't notice any cracks of any sort so I look under the aft seat and noticed one or two more tiny spots where light was attempting to shine through right in line with the others on the area under the forward seat starboard side ....i looked on the port side and didn't see any light coming through the paint
Is this normal ????
whgoffrn
First Officer

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Damage ? Or are the hulls that thin

Postby RussMT » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:16 pm

Fiberglass is GLASS and as such very transparent. So yes, it's normal to see through it.

Some places are pretty thin, yet don't let that fool you into thinking it's not strong.
RussMT
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby BOAT » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:48 pm

Yup and yup - it's a result of good construction - the worst thing I have ever seen are the "chopper gun" boats that are so heavy they crack under their own weight on impact but even worse they saturate and rot when in the water after a long period of time.

Because of the way Roger had the boats built the hull is translucent - that's what you want - as transparent as possible to make sure you have the highest glass to resin ratio - even in places where it is thicker than a normal boat - for example - the ballast tank, (other boats do not even HAVE a ballast tank - you have essentially a double hull boat under your feet), the way Roger did the lay up is that his guys would lay each mat over the other one at a time and alternate the direction of each mat and with each layer and pass they would squeeze every bit of resin out of the mat. The factory did not cut corners on this part - I saw this with my own eyes at the factory - I swear those guys put more resin on the floor than they did in the boat. The floors were covered with layers of cardboard to soak up all the resin. The results in an extremely thin, flexible, and super strong piece of fiberglass when cured - and without gel coat or paint you can see lots of light thru it. It's a very expensive way to make a boat compared to the way most fiberglass boats are built - I was very surprised when I saw it happening in person. The interior liner pieces are shot the regular way that other boats are built, but not the hull. That's why the liner is so brittle, because it's built the same way 80% of all other sailboat hulls are built!

Read this page on the website:

http://www.macgregor26.com/construction/construction.htm

I saw it with my own eyes when they were building 'boat' - it was quite a surprize - I saw a really big epoxy boat getting sanded down smooth at the end of the building too - also again - really strong, light, flexible hulls - really labor intensive and not what I expected.
BOAT
Admiral

Postby Sumner » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:40 pm

I can even see light coming through the Endeavour hull and it was build when they didn't know how long fiberglass would last, so is really thick... boat weighs 20,000 lbs.,

Sumner
Sumner
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Postby whgoffrn » Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:55 pm

Well I guess that's reassuring ... I hit a nasty storm and was really suprised how well the boat did ...it rounded up a couple times but was crashing through some pretty steep waves doing 6 and 7 knots all under sail into the wind/waves and I was afraid I pushed the boat a little too hard so glad to know that's normal and I didn't destroy it lol
whgoffrn
First Officer

Postby BOAT » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:18 pm

No way and not to worry - we were pushing the boat hard 2 weeks ago out in the ocean going 14 and a half knots in the worst chop and a 20 knot wind abeam and the boat was literally flying in the air and slamming down in the chop (I run the tank empty when under power) normally the boat will do 18.5 knots easy WOT with the tank empty but the wind and chop were so bad I could only achieve 14.5 knots and the auto pilot had the helm turned a quarter wheel to port the whole way to counter act the wind. It's amazing that 5400 RPM can be 21 MPH in one weather condition and only 17 mph in another!

We slammed the chop like that for TWO HOURS! (from Long Beach to Catalina). The boat was fine. Only casualty was my wife's tummy.
BOAT
Admiral

Postby sailboatmike » Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:25 pm

The black stripes are the translucent part, i have the same thing, light does sort of come through the white parts but just, however it seems the black is highly translucent for some reason, obviously something different about the gelcoat process in those areas.

I did some paint touch up on one of my stripes and its no longer translucent in that area
sailboatmike
Admiral

Postby BOAT » Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:00 pm

sailboatmike wrote:I did some paint touch up on one of my stripes and its no longer translucent in that area

Oh No!! You just ruined everything! Now your boat will be slower!!
BOAT
Admiral

Postby sailboatmike » Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:00 pm

BOAT wrote:
sailboatmike wrote:I did some paint touch up on one of my stripes and its no longer translucent in that area

Oh No!! You just ruined everything! Now your boat will be slower!!

Thanks for pointing that out, I will immediately start looking for a 90Hp to replace my 75Hp, that should get me back up to speed soon enough :P
sailboatmike
Admiral

Postby Don T » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:41 am

Hello,
Me thinks it's physics. The white parts of the boat are white because they are reflecting most of the light at all frequencies. Black is black because it absorbs most all light frequencies. Blue hulls are blue because blue wavelengths are reflected back to our eyes and the others are absorbed.
SO.....
The black stripe absorbs the light which then shines through the inside.

Makes perfect sense to me, that's why painting a window black always lets the grow lights shine through. :wink:
Don T
Admiral

Location: 95 2600 "SS OTTER" - Portland OR - Tohatsu 50 - Hull#64 (May 95)

Postby DaveC426913 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:20 am

I can see light coming through SeaSaw's hull.

In the place where I drilled a pilot hole for a screw.

I've stopped doing that.
DaveC426913
Admiral

Return to MacGregor Powersailor Discussion