ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home
Boomkicker Banner

Mast and trailer questions

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Mast and trailer questions

Postby tom7219 » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:00 pm

Tried to raise the mast on my 1985 Mac 25 for the first time. Used a homemade jin pole which seemed to work well. Once off the elevated support, the mast swung immediately to port. The boat is on the trailer and there is a slight downhill slant to port. So, question 1. How level does the boat need to be to step the mast? Question 2. With the weight of the mast aft, the boat sat immediately on the jack stands I'd placed under the trailer. Is this poor balance normal? If I attempt to trailer it to the lake with the kicker mounted, the tongue weight will be negative even though the mast will be forward in the storage position. Question 3. While clearing all the bungee cords the former owner used to keep the stays and the shrouds close to the mast, I noticed that about 5" above the spreaders, there is a joint in the mast. It seems very solid with no play and is bolted firmly with SS 3/8" bolts and the way through the mast above and below the joint. Is this normal, or has the mast been repaired?

Thanks for any insights into these areas. I've redone part of the wiring, repaired the fuel system on the kicker and have spoken with a certified welder about extending the trailer frame and adding a second axle. Hopefully, this will address the balance and tongue weight problems. Hope to get the boat wet for the first time (since I bought it) by the end of August.
tom7219

Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Re: Mast and trailer questions

Postby sailboatmike » Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:24 pm

1) The mast raising system (MRS) should have aligning wires that run from the mast to the deck to stop the mast moving more than a few degrees either port or starboard when lifted, without these you put huge loads on the mast base and foot which can break and leave you with a nasty bill at best and a very time consuming repair on top of the bill at worst. These wires run from about 6 feet up the mast to the deck about 18 inches in front of it and about the same to the side.

The idea is if the mast starts to move off straight more than a few degrees the wire goes taunt and prevents further movement.

2) sounds like the balance of your trailer is out, the trailer should have between 10 and 15% ball weight, so I guess around 300lbs, if the boat is sitting even 6 inches too far back it can seriously change the balance, this being the case I would certainly check its right before towing too far as without the correct ball weight it can be very dangerous due to the trailer wandering

3) Sounds like the mast has been sleeved at some stage, if done properly it isnt anything to worry about
sailboatmike
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby Sumner » Fri Aug 11, 2017 4:24 pm

As mentioned above, you need to be using 'baby stays' while raising (2 middle arrows), more here...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/rigging-2.html

==========================================================================================

I also added a second axle to my trailer for a 26S. Info on that here down a ways ...

http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/macgregor/trailer-mods-index.html

Good luck,

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
Sumner
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Postby tom7219 » Sat Aug 12, 2017 12:12 pm

Thanks for the input. I will add lateral support ropes as well as leveling the boat. I've talked with a local fellow who restores classic cars and in a certified welder. He just finished building a three axle car hauler (he also races a dragster). He's going to look at the trailer this weekend and we'll go from there.
tom7219

Sailboat: MacGregor 25

Return to MacGregor Powersailor Discussion