Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home

Hey! Look! I spotted one of our friends at Avalon today!

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Hey! Look! I spotted one of our friends at Avalon today!

Postby BOAT » Thu Sep 07, 2017 10:18 am

Whenever I get feeling down as the daily grind taxes my brain I often find solace looking up my favorite web cams on the internet of places I like to go in the sail boat. It really cheers me up to see a nice quite cove with one boat anchored in some spots and in others I see lots of boats all enjoying the coast. It's all good, and it cheers me up to look at the cams. I do it often.

Well this morning I was needing a fix so I looked up one of my favorite Catalina Island cams and look what was right there on mooring bouy #36! ?

A beautiful M boat with his big merc and his paddle board (who needs a stupid shore boat!) and his solar panel propped up on his hatch!

He still has the MRS attached to his mast and his bottom has no paint so I can assume he is on a trailer. Man, that's the life. I feel better now.

I don't know who this mystery M captain is but all I can say is i wish i were there - i hope he is having fun.

8) 8)
BOAT
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Hey! Look! I spotted one of our friends at Avalon today

Postby Don T » Fri Sep 08, 2017 4:53 pm

Makes me feel better too. :)
Don T
Admiral

Location: 95 2600 "SS OTTER" - Portland OR - Tohatsu 50 - Hull#64 (May 95)
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby RussMT » Fri Sep 08, 2017 10:48 pm

He looks bow heavy. I guess he's up in the v berth.
RussMT
Admiral

Postby sailboatmike » Fri Sep 08, 2017 11:19 pm

I always thought the idea was to get away from other people, more crowded there than living in a black of flats, not my idea of "getting away from it all" :D
sailboatmike
Admiral

Postby dlandersson » Sat Sep 09, 2017 6:58 am

"They" :wink:

RussMT wrote:He looks bow heavy. I guess he's up in the v berth.
dlandersson
Admiral

Postby cmagnus4 » Sat Sep 09, 2017 8:43 am

sailboatmike wrote:I always thought the idea was to get away from other people, more crowded there than living in a black of flats, not my idea of "getting away from it all" :D

This might be due to the big difference in population density: California 88,9 inhabitants/sq.km and Australia 3,17 8)
cmagnus4
Deckhand

Location: Öckerö, Sweden Mac 26M 2010 "TYR" Suzuki 15HP Jeep Wrangler Sahara

Postby Catigale » Sun Sep 10, 2017 4:38 am

The Richard head density is the more important number.
Catigale
Site Admin

Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Postby sailboatmike » Sun Sep 10, 2017 6:13 am

cmagnus4 wrote:
sailboatmike wrote:I always thought the idea was to get away from other people, more crowded there than living in a black of flats, not my idea of "getting away from it all" :D

This might be due to the big difference in population density: California 88,9 inhabitants/sq.km and Australia 3,17 8)

While the population density of all of Australia is 3.17, 90% of the Australian population live in a small strip of coastline along the east coast.

The city I live in is 9,990 square kilometers and has over 4.7 million people, thats a population density of over 470 people per sq Kilometer, the city sits right on the 2 main boating areas

Australia may be a very large place with a small population but most of Australia is uninhabited, gee we have cattle stations the size of Texas in the outback
sailboatmike
Admiral

Postby BOAT » Mon Sep 11, 2017 9:52 am

sailboatmike wrote:
cmagnus4 wrote:

While the population density of all of Australia is 3.17, 90% of the Australian population live in a small strip of coastline along the east coast.

The city I live in is 9,990 square kilometers and has over 4.7 million people, thats a population density of over 470 people per sq Kilometer, the city sits right on the 2 main boating areas

Australia may be a very large place with a small population but most of Australia is uninhabited, gee we have cattle stations the size of Texas in the outback

Catalina is mostly uninhabited - there are only about 3000 residents of the island and 99.9% of them are right there in Avalon. There are only 150 animals like the kind your referring to, (bison and cows and ranch animals and so forth). Last time I was there I took this picture of one of the animals:
Avalon is where all the tourist go - the population of Avalon triples every-time one of the cruise ships anchors off shore, but they only allow them to anchor for the day - no overnighters because there is not enough infrastructure on the entire island to accommodate even one cruise ship for the night. It's neat to see them pull in - last time I was at Catalina we parked 'boat' on a mooring in Avalon and grabbed a shuttle to the airport on top of the island on a road so bad it will shake your teeth right out of your mouth - I took a picture as we climbed out:
I like Catalina - but there are also many other islands very close within 24 hours sailing distance and less. Some islands out here have NO people, just animals, and others have only 2 or 4 people, and then some, like San Clemente Island which is only 50 miles off the coast of Oceanside here where I live is populated with only military people. That's another great place to go sailing. The military allows you to moor along the island in the north.

Sailing in the ocean exclusively like I do means i already am pretty isolated and do not get to see very many people or boats, so I sort of welcome the hub bub of the harbors and marinas after a long day of sailing all alone out in the middle of no where. I'm not a total sick loner.

Is it cold in Australia today?
BOAT
Admiral

Postby orwell10 » Mon Sep 18, 2017 9:12 pm

That looks great. :tat:
orwell10

Return to MacGregor Powersailor Discussion