Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home

Forestay attachment

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Re: Forestay attachment

Postby sailboatmike » Tue Oct 03, 2017 5:16 pm

If you have a furler and leave the normal jib halyard in place it makes for a excellent backup forestay, I always keep mine attached to the push pit, just for extra piece of mind
sailboatmike
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby DaveC426913 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:45 pm

sailboatmike wrote:If you have a furler and leave the normal jib halyard in place it makes for a excellent backup forestay, I always keep mine attached to the push pit, just for extra piece of mind

Yeah. I've heard that before. I should prolly do that.
DaveC426913
Admiral

Postby C Buchs » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:44 am

DaveC426913 wrote:
sailboatmike wrote:If you have a furler and leave the normal jib halyard in place it makes for a excellent backup forestay, I always keep mine attached to the push pit, just for extra piece of mind

I do this, but I have to make sure that I get the jib halyard really tight or it catches on the top of the furler.

Jeff
C Buchs
First Officer

Postby DaveC426913 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 11:53 am

[quote="BOAT"]The forestay is always a scary place - but believe it or not there is actually very little actual force on the forestay - the boat is pulled through the water by the side stays and backstay (if you have one) but only 20 to 30% max - 70% of the force pulling the boat through the water comes from the mast base, mainsheet block, and jib sheets. (Pulling the mainsheet tight or the vang put's more stress on the forestay than the jib.[/quote]
I'm kinda concerned about lateral pull.

My forestay, when under full genoa, bends a foot or more to the side.
DaveC426913
Admiral

Postby Catigale » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:08 am

With the JOHNSON lever you set the in straight, with the ring taking no load, tape if necessary, then snap it closed after you have set it up right. Easy!
Catigale
Site Admin

Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Postby paul I » Wed Oct 11, 2017 7:38 am

C Buchs wrote:
DaveC426913 wrote:

I do this, but I have to make sure that I get the jib halyard really tight or it catches on the top of the furler.

Jeff

I can imagine. I installed a separate hound for the jib halyard about 18" or so above the forestay. Even then, the jib halyard has a tendency to slacken over time and will eventually foul the furler if the wind conditions are right. And of course, it always happens at the wrong time when you are trying to furl the genoa in. I keep the free end of the jib halyard tied to a cleat on the mast. It is not run aft to the cockpit because it is seldom needed (only for the MRS and for flying a spinnaker). When it does foul it requires me to either head forward and cleat the halyard tighter, or use a boat hook to grab it at the mast and pull to apply tension to keep it out of the way when furling. It has only happened to me twice, but that's twice too many.

Without the extra separation the second hound provides between the halyard from the furler, I'll bet it can become an even bigger issue that happens more frequently.
paul I
First Officer

Location: Niagara Falls, NY 2000 26X w/Honda BF50 "NoneShallPass"

Postby C Buchs » Wed Oct 11, 2017 11:19 am

paul I wrote:
I can imagine. I installed a separate hound for the jib halyard about 18" or so above the forestay. Even then, the jib halyard has a tendency to slacken over time and will eventually foul the furler if the wind conditions are right. And of course, it always happens at the wrong time when you are trying to furl the genoa in. I keep the free end of the jib halyard tied to a cleat on the mast. It is not run aft to the cockpit because it is seldom needed (only for the MRS and for flying a spinnaker). When it does foul it requires me to either head forward and cleat the halyard tighter, or use a boat hook to grab it at the mast and pull to apply tension to keep it out of the way when furling. It has only happened to me twice, but that's twice too many.

Without the extra separation the second hound provides between the halyard from the furler, I'll bet it can become an even bigger issue that happens more frequently.

My jib halyard is connected to the mast at the same location as my furler. I thought about moving it up, but not seriously until now. I checked BWY and it looks like I need to add this to my next order. http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/3807-1v4.htm Thanks for the tip.

Jeff
C Buchs
First Officer

Postby Tomfoolery » Wed Oct 11, 2017 12:00 pm

C Buchs wrote:
paul I wrote:

My jib halyard is connected to the mast at the same location as my furler. I thought about moving it up, but not seriously until now. I checked BWY and it looks like I need to add this to my next order. http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/3807-1v4.htm Thanks for the tip.

Jeff

The only way to fly (a kite). 8)

Note that the inboard part of the spin halyard should be inside the lower hound. I must have just put the hardware on and didn't realize the line would foul the jib hound. :|
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Postby paul I » Wed Oct 11, 2017 4:20 pm

C Buchs wrote:
paul I wrote:

Jeff

You can also buy just the hound assembly if you don't need a new block. Its less money and it allows you choose the block you want.
paul I
First Officer

Location: Niagara Falls, NY 2000 26X w/Honda BF50 "NoneShallPass"

Previous

Return to MacGregor Powersailor Discussion