Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksSupport this Website
Forum Home

Anybody still sailing?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Anybody still sailing?

Postby Baha » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:45 am

I am planning on heading out for the long weekend to do some coastal sailing in Norfolk. The Admiral thinks I am crazy and will not be coming. Any tips for cool-weather sailing? It will be in the high 40's to mid 60's this weekend with winds blowing 2-4 (occasional 5).

I do have a ceramic butane heater that I will use with the hatch cracked and a good sleeping bag.
Baha
First Officer

Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Anybody still sailing?

Postby Danhux » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:56 am

The wife and I are planning on doing a day sail Saturday if weather permits here in Raleigh, NC. We’re hoping to sail 3 or 4 times before thanksgiving on the local lakes.
Danhux
Deckhand

Postby Nauti Nell » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:20 am

Will be out tomorrow and Thursday on the lake north of Atlanta, Ga. This time of year is some of the best sailing around here especially midweek when you have the lake pretty much to yourself.
Nauti Nell
Engineer

Postby Baha » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:28 am

Nauti Nell wrote:Will be out tomorrow and Thursday on the lake north of Atlanta, Ga. This time of year is some of the best sailing around here especially midweek when you have the lake pretty much to yourself.

That is what I am hoping for. We have some great sailing grounds, but some are not so good when full of other boats.
Baha
First Officer

Postby Tomfoolery » Tue Oct 03, 2017 7:28 am

Heading out tonight, in fact. Almost a full moon, and warm. But I keep sailing up until around the end of October usually.

The downside, though, is that it's usually pretty cold when I'm winterizing it, which is usually mid-November. :P
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby Sea Wind » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:29 am

I go out on the Chesapeake Bay until late December but I also take my kids camping in late Fall, so we are used to sleeping outside with temperatures up to the high 40s. Have a carbon monoxide alarm in the cabin if you are going to run it overnight. I usually use the heater to warm up the cabin while hanging out on the boat and then turn if off for sleeping. I don’t like to sleep worrying about it. Strong wind breaker is key for the cockpit, fleece will keep your warm but you feel naked when the wind hits you.
I follow the rule that you should have a sleeping bag that is rated for at least 10 degrees lower than the lowest temperature you are expecting, otherwise bring some blankets to throw on top.
The wheel gets really cold so remember gloves. The Dodger was a great addition to extend the sailing season in our case.
Once the Octoberfest beer is gone I switch to red wine on the boat. :P
Sea Wind
First Officer

Postby dlandersson » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:18 am

I had a really nice day Sunday, Oct 1. on an X. It was brisk, we wore light jackets.

1. If the wind is more than 15 knots (or may be) I find a reef is a good idea - before you go out. :wink:

2. If the wind is more than 15 knots, don't use 150% Genoa or (what I do) use it furled to 110%.

3. Have some hot chocolate, etc. :P

Baha wrote:I am planning on heading out for the long weekend to do some coastal sailing in Norfolk. The Admiral thinks I am crazy and will not be coming. Any tips for cool-weather sailing? It will be in the high 40's to mid 60's this weekend with winds blowing 2-4 (occasional 5).

I do have a ceramic butane heater that I will use with the hatch cracked and a good sleeping bag.
dlandersson
Admiral

Postby DaveC426913 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:00 am

I don't understand. Y'all are in the tropics.

I'm in Canada and I'm going out tomorrow night.

If not for haulout rules, I'd be sailing until the lake turned hard and bumpy.
DaveC426913
Admiral

Postby dlandersson » Tue Oct 03, 2017 11:32 am

Mounties after you again? :P

DaveC426913 wrote:I don't understand. Y'all are in the tropics.

I'm in Canada and I'm going out tomorrow night.

If not for haulout rules, I'd be sailing until the lake turned hard and bumpy.
dlandersson
Admiral

Postby sailboatmike » Tue Oct 03, 2017 1:35 pm

Still sailing???

Opening of the season this weekend, cant wait, opening day Saturday, racing Sunday (weather permitting)

In theory the season goes between 6 and 7 months, strange thing is the club is actually more active over winter than summer as many of the keel boat owners take off on long distance jaunts over summer.

Here is hoping for some decent weather, last couple of seasons have been shockers
sailboatmike
Admiral

Postby Baha » Tue Oct 03, 2017 3:41 pm

Sea Wind wrote:I go out on the Chesapeake Bay until late December but I also take my kids camping in late Fall, so we are used to sleeping outside with temperatures up to the high 40s. Have a carbon monoxide alarm in the cabin if you are going to run it overnight. I usually use the heater to warm up the cabin while hanging out on the boat and then turn if off for sleeping. I don’t like to sleep worrying about it. Strong wind breaker is key for the cockpit, fleece will keep your warm but you feel naked when the wind hits you.
I follow the rule that you should have a sleeping bag that is rated for at least 10 degrees lower than the lowest temperature you are expecting, otherwise bring some blankets to throw on top.
The wheel gets really cold so remember gloves. The Dodger was a great addition to extend the sailing season in our case.
Once the Octoberfest beer is gone I switch to red wine on the boat. :P

In the late fall/winter/early spring it doesn't get warm, but almost never gets very cold around here. I am thinking I could still do some sailing in January. I just would not have a lot of daylight. Thanks to everyone for the tips. I always have sailing gloves, and am also taking some leather work gloves as well. I have a good fleece and a better wind/waterproof shell and a toasty warm sleeping bag. I will not ever sleep with a gas appliance lit. I even take all the canisters outside. The Brits say there is no such thing as bad weather, only bad clothing..:)
Baha
First Officer

Postby Goaltender46 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 4:40 pm

Still sailing here in sunny so cal. Took the Mac 26D to Big Bear lake and enjoyed some brisk sailing!
Goaltender46

Sailboat: MacGregor 26D

Postby eodjedi » Tue Oct 03, 2017 8:02 pm

Currently sailing Northern Chesapeake area all week. Right now we're anchored near Pleasure Island. Weather has been beautiful but lacking in wind. Hopefully tomorrow will improve. There's about 10 knots of wind now, but just a little bit too dark to sail. Using our Webasto 5000 at night to keep toasty, but only need to run it for 20 minutes or so to 76 degrees, then shut it off for the night.

eodjedi
Engineer

Postby DaveC426913 » Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:55 pm

dlandersson wrote:Mounties after you again? :P

:)
I only have to go 10 yards off shore, and their horses drown.
DaveC426913
Admiral

Postby Y.B.Normal » Tue Oct 03, 2017 10:02 pm

I plan to go out this Thursday afternoon and again this weekend. Today's high was 79* 8) . This weekend I have to take the boat out as the harbor closes Oct. 15th. :(
Normally the temp this time of year is in the 60s and we wear fleece and windbreakers. BYW, once the water hardens up the local boaters switch to runners (ice boats).
Y.B.Normal
First Officer

Next

Return to MacGregor Powersailor Discussion