Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home

Anybody still sailing?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Re: Anybody still sailing?

Postby Gazmn » Wed Oct 04, 2017 12:43 am

I always have mixed feelings this time of year. September used to be my favorite month till 9/11 :|

While it's gotten better. There are still lots of memories that can take me from the beauty of the days to into a daze. When October starts I see that fat lady warming up her vocal chords in the wings...

& I start wondering how I'm gonna get through the next 6 months... I just turned 53; & am trying to not have a heart attack shoveling this winter. So October, my birthday month - has ended up being my saddest time as it represents the end of my boating season :cry:

I slept over on the water last night. Making the best of the last. I recommend hooded sweatshirts or a winter hat as bed wear - but I have a bald head :wink:

Personally, I don't need to move from my mooring - I just need to be on da Bote :P

Fair Winds & Season All
Gazmn
Captain

Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg

Postby Bilgemaster » Wed Oct 04, 2017 7:31 am

Winter has its own virtues. I enjoy tinkering with the boats nearly as much as sailing, so there's that. Then again, winters here in Virginia often enough tend to be of the short-sleeves-in-December variety. You may need a snowblower up there in the Empire State, but down here well south of the Mason-Dixon it's about as useful most winters as a Zeppelin. Also, this winter Uncle Sam is offering early retirement buyouts for pre-geezing Federales like me, so beginning next season my dance card for sailing is wide open, especially weekdays, when the launch ramps are a decidedly less hectic and more genteel affair. No need to load the forward confetti cannon to blast a path through the jetski swarm. I adore the notion of jetskis, and would love to try one someday, but some of those submoronic water-wheeliers charging around full-tilt like meth-tweaked gnats back and forth through the no-wake zone just feet from the ramps, typically four-up on a two-seater, are another matter. They can make getting out and especially back on a weekend a little too reminiscent of the Battle of Britain. I would have a hard time believing ANY of them have even heard of let alone completed that now-mandatory Boating Safety Course.

So yeah...this is the winter I rig up that lovely new pressure water system bequeathed to me by the former owner. And if the snows do come, maybe I'll cobble together that natty little heraldically-challenging MacGregor tartan burgee with the Clorox bottle pig rampant on wheels ridden by a puffin shouting the motto "M-T Criticisms! We Venture forth regardless!" as a tip o' the hat to all septs of the Mac clan, Tattoo and the Venerable Venture as well, a wee one of which hath recently found harbour and succour next to my Foundling. (Italicization to follow, Donna [=girl])©

So, those are MY winter plans.
Last edited by Bilgemaster on Fri Oct 06, 2017 8:25 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Bilgemaster
First Officer

Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby C Buchs » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:32 am

We're still making the most of the last of the season here at the mouth of the Columbia River Gorge. Here's some photos from last night's sail. The photos are OK, but it was amazing in real life.

Jeff
C Buchs
First Officer

Postby Seapup » Wed Oct 04, 2017 11:45 am

Off season is an area the dual nature of the :macm: :macx: :tat26: excel at in the mid atlantic. When the open water gets too rough and cold for pleasant sailing, the protected rivers, creeks, ICW, and lakes are still beautiful on the sunny winter afternoons. A quick mastless motor trip is a great way to chase off winter blues :!:
Seapup
Captain

Postby NiceAft » Wed Oct 04, 2017 6:40 pm

There’s always next year :!: 8)

Greg, Greg, Greg. don’t be so down on yourself :!: I have fifteen years on you, and look forward to every day. Sept. 9 was number 68. I looked forward to 68 and one, then two, etc. etc. :D i’m Sure there are some Mac’rs out there in their 70’s, and sailing. Speak up people. Let’s help the young fella perk up :)

Ray
~~_/)~~
NiceAft
Admiral

Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby Québec 1 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 8:01 pm

I'm going sailing on Friday,Saturday,Sunday and Monday. I'll take her out around September 10th,depending on the tides. On the Saint Lawrence around Quebec City where I sail there are 2-13 to 20 foot tides twice a day with 4 to 5 knot currents under the bridge. We watch the forecasts to see how the winds will interact with the currents and other things, before we drop anchor. It's suppose to feel like 28 celcius and sunny on Monday. Having a great late season. The
Québec 1
Admiral

Postby DaveC426913 » Wed Oct 04, 2017 9:17 pm

Seapup wrote:Off season is an area the dual nature of the :macm: :macx: :tat26: excel at in the mid atlantic. When the open water gets too rough and cold for pleasant sailing, the protected rivers, creeks, ICW, and lakes are still beautiful on the sunny winter afternoons. A quick mastless motor trip is a great way to chase off winter blues :!:

Hmm. How far south must a Northerner go to find pleasant boating weather in, say, January or February?
DaveC426913
Admiral

Postby Ponaldpe » Wed Oct 04, 2017 10:33 pm

DaveC426913 wrote:
Seapup wrote:Off season is an area the dual nature of the :macm: :macx: :tat26: excel at in the mid atlantic. When the open water gets too rough and cold for pleasant sailing, the protected rivers, creeks, ICW, and lakes are still beautiful on the sunny winter afternoons. A quick mastless motor trip is a great way to chase off winter blues :!:

Hmm. How far south must a Northerner go to find pleasant boating weather in, say, January or February?

It seems that most stop somewhere here in Florida, and we call them snowbirds for some reason, I am glad they don't bring snow. :(
Ponaldpe
Engineer

Postby Gazmn » Thu Oct 05, 2017 3:21 am

Just wanted to say,

You Guys Are Da Bestest :!: :!:

-Especially you Ray :D :D

How Can I be down when I know Some MacGer's Somewhere will be a Sailin' 8)

Here's to 60 or 80 more years Boyz... :)

Fair Winds!!

PS: Nice Pics Buchs :wink:
Gazmn
Captain

Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg

Postby Baha » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:11 am

Great comments and beautiful pictures. I am hoping for a real John Constable kind of weekend..lots of turning leaves and beautiful light....and not many other sailors!

My wife still thinks I am nuts! One more class to teach...then hitch up, check the tire pressure, and head for the coast. Btw, was mid-50's, windy and rainy here this morning...but should be fine this weekend.
Baha
Engineer

Postby Tomfoolery » Thu Oct 05, 2017 7:38 am

NiceAft wrote:i’m Sure there are some Mac’rs out there in their 70’s, and sailing. Speak up people. Let’s help the young fella perk up :)

Ray
~~_/)~~

My father in-law. 85 years old, at the helm of my :macx: .

Not a very good pic, as he's not that old and saggy looking as the picture implies, but I took it last week, so it's the most current one I have. :wink:

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Postby C Buchs » Thu Oct 05, 2017 12:44 pm

Keep sailing! Its that climbing, pulling, ducking, etc. that helps keep us young.

Jeff
C Buchs
First Officer

Postby Santora11 » Thu Oct 05, 2017 9:00 pm

Planning on going out this Saturday on the Potomac river near Nanjemoy. The forecast looks good. I am hoping for another month or so before I put her up for the winter.
Santora11

Postby profitt2 » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:08 pm

My 26M is at Longboat key, Fl. I sail thru 1st week of Jan. Best time is now. Fewer bitey bugs!
profitt2
Just Enlisted

Postby sailboatmike » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:19 pm

Opening day at the club today, the season is upon us at long last

Only managed one winter sail as the weather has been shocking most weekends

Lets get this party started :D :P
sailboatmike
Admiral

PreviousNext

Return to MacGregor Powersailor Discussion