Forum Home

Steering wheel pedestal (Helm Box)

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Steering wheel pedestal (Helm Box)

Postby Neo » Sun Oct 29, 2017 3:37 pm

Hi Gents,

Long time no talk.

I need junk my old steering box and come up with a hole new design so I'm looking for some wide ideas to stimulate my project.
On a 26M what would be a great design for a Pedestal / Helm Box? ..... Would you keep the motor controls on the box or move them somewhere else?
I need something that will accommodate my dual steering box (with it's twin steering cables) but apart from that "The world is my oyster"... so to speak.

Please let me know your thoughts on this?

All the best.
Neo
Neo
Captain

Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Steering wheel pedestal (Helm Box)

Postby DaveC426913 » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:53 pm

Questions, questions.

Why are you junking it? Just all worn out?
What's dual steering box and why twin steering cables? Do you have a rudder on the bow? That would make marina-maneuvering a snap. :)
DaveC426913
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby sailboatmike » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:42 pm

That sounds awesome, be just like a Beneteau Oceanis all be it a lot narrower in the beam
sailboatmike
Admiral

Postby Neo » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:53 pm

DaveC426913 wrote:Questions, questions.

You no like "questions"? :o

DaveC426913 wrote:Why are you junking it? Just all worn out?
What's dual steering box and why twin steering cables? Do you have a rudder on the bow? That would make marina-maneuvering a snap. :)

I have the Dual cable Rotary UFlex T72FC. One cable goes the the rudders and the other cable goes directly to the outboard (passing through the tilt tube, like every other boat!). It has greatly improved steering control, provides a certain degree of load sharing and redundancy but the steering control box is big and fat!!

I'm considering junking the helm box because, to fit the T72FC, I had to pass the steering shaft through the Speedo hole (instead of the normal hole) and in my rush to get back on the water the whole project turned into a bodge job!... I've come up with a few ways to tidy it up but I'm thinking it might be better just to start from scratch.

I have minimal Fiberglassing skills at this time but I get the feeling that might be changing soon lol!!

Neo
Captain

Postby DaveC426913 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:34 pm

Neo wrote:
DaveC426913 wrote:Questions, questions.

You no like "questions"? :o

I meant I have questions. :)
DaveC426913
Admiral

Postby Highlander » Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:18 pm

My :macm: now has approx 1/2 a turn slop in it so I just ordered a new up-graded replacement rack & pinion steering cable from BWY in Seattle , its sup-possibly is a lot more tighter that the origanal sloppy one !
Don,t know why u would go with dual steering as now u r going to lose all rudder feed back & now have to turn that engine every time u turn while sailing I think that,s a down grade not an up grade , A cheaper & better mod up-grade would b to get the BWY engine quick disconnect rod !
Just my personal opinion

J 8)
Highlander
Admiral

Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Postby Neo » Fri Nov 03, 2017 3:45 pm

No Highlander I have a quick disconnect setup on the OB cable and once it's off the OB cable alone presents no load and rudder feedback is better than ever! 8) .... There no way those old rack & pinion's are anywhere near as good as any Rotary setup. Many have changed to Rotory control and all consider it better. But a small number of us have done Dual Rotory, which I had to do after installing the 5" jackplate on my OB..... The "SS walking cane" just wouldn't reach anymore ... You might remember we all had a long chat on that?

Also, I still have my old steering rack and cable in the garage. I used to think it well worn but when closely inspected I can see now there's no viable wear in the rack or pinion teeth. It seems that "sloppy" is just inherent in the design of the old R&P units so I have no regrets going over to Rotory.

It's not a mod to be taken lightly. It takes a lot of conversion work but for me in my situation it was worth it for sure 8).
Here the previous disunion http://www.macgregorsailors.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=25806&p=319954#p319954
Neo
Captain

Postby Seapup » Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:06 pm

Seapup
Captain

Postby Neo » Fri Nov 03, 2017 11:16 pm

Thanks Seaup..... It does look a bit wide but I'll need to measure things up. :)
Neo
Captain

Postby Highlander » Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:57 pm

Neo wrote:Thanks Seaup..... It does look a bit wide but I'll need to measure things up. :)

OK Neo
I forgot u had added the 5" set back on ur transom
U might b able to get that manufacturer to custom make u one with a smaller foot print like the M pedestal

J 8)
Highlander
Admiral

Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Postby Neo » Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:56 pm

Highlander wrote:U might b able to get that manufacturer to custom make u one with a smaller foot print like the M pedestal
Great idea Highlander :)
Neo
Captain

Postby Seapup » Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:33 am

Maybe have someone measure an :macx: pedestal, it could be large enough? I know I was considering trading my :macx: pedestal for an :macm: to save some cockpit space.
Seapup
Captain

Postby Neo » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:37 pm

Hi Seaup,

Are you talking about a swap of this kind of 26X Helm Box (sorry I can't find a better photo)? ....

I've been considering chopping up and extending (the height) of my current box but there's still lots to consider and it would be best done in winter too.
Neo
Captain

Postby Seapup » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:55 pm

Are you talking about a swap of this kind of 26X Helm Box (sorry I can't find a better photo)? ....

Yeah, the 1999-2002 is taller than that one too. BWY sells it and some guys purchased them to fit Victors internal autopilot a few years ago. Not sure if it would have the room you need or not.
Seapup
Captain

Return to MacGregor Powersailor Discussion