ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home

X, MSD head upgrade

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

X, MSD head upgrade

Postby bobflshmn » Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:13 pm

ImageImageImage

Just completed installing the MSD portable toilet. No more dumping the dump!
bobflshmn
Engineer

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: X, MSD head upgrade

Postby NiceAft » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:07 am

Looks like a nice job.

Ray
NiceAft
Admiral

Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby Nauti Nell » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:32 am

Looks like a nice neat installation but wife and I love our composting head. No raw sewage in the boat. If there is liquid in a container it will eventually spill or leak. It's just when and how much, never an if. That goes for the urine holding jug in our C-head. We take every precaution but know that at some point in time one of us (me) may spill it when removing it from the boat. It's just a gallon milk jug so I screw on the cap before removing it. I know me, at some point I'll just be going to pour it over the side and will splash it somewhere other than over the side. Mr Murphy loves me as I proof his law all the time.....
Nauti Nell
Chief Steward

Postby Tomfoolery » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:35 am

Looks good. My installation is similar, but I put the pump out thru hull in the roof rather than the side, using butyl tape, and the vent is below the port.

And I've never actually pumped it out. :D I discourage others from using it, or at least encourage others to use the facility at the marina before boarding, so I only remove and dump it at the end of the season, or if packing up at home for a trailer trip to distant points, the old fashioned way. :P

I switched to an MSD version of Porta-Potti with the concomitant plumbing to make the boat legal in Ontario Province waters. Otherwise, I'd not have bothered. :|
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Postby bobflshmn » Mon Oct 30, 2017 11:47 am

Thanks all. I am hoping to not have to use it much. Like most, we and our guest use the dock as much as possible.
Considered Natures Head, as often as we will get to use it, combined with the other upgrades and purchasing a new Sail Rite sewing machine was not in the budget.
The boat is new to us so you know how that goes. Just installed a new water bladder, extended the V berth, and am now adding oak cabinets to the galley. Sail pack and lazy jacks will be next!
bobflshmn
Engineer

Postby C Buchs » Mon Oct 30, 2017 6:14 pm

I've got the same head, but I haven't installed the pump out yet. I was just telling me wife that I didn't have any boat projects for the winter, but I'll have to add this to the list. Thanks for the pictures.

Jeff
C Buchs
First Officer

Postby bobflshmn » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:23 pm

C Buchs wrote:I've got the same head, but I haven't installed the pump out yet. I was just telling me wife that I didn't have any boat projects for the winter, but I'll have to add this to the list. Thanks for the pictures.

Jeff

Hope it helps. I also posted it on the Mods page with a complete list of parts and where I purchased them. Bob
bobflshmn
Engineer

Postby NiceAft » Mon Oct 30, 2017 9:37 pm

C Buchs wrote:I've got the same head, but I haven't installed the pump out yet. I was just telling me wife that I didn't have any boat projects for the winter, but I'll have to add this to the list. Thanks for the pictures.

Jeff

It’s really not a mod that takes that long. I put it off for a long time. The hardest part I had was finding the parts. With the help of a few board members from this site, I was successful.

The reason I had, for doing the mod, was I was anticipating some day joining the guys who get together with beene for a group sail in Canada. Porta potty’s are a no-no where they sail.

Ray
NiceAft
Admiral

Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Postby Tomfoolery » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:38 am

NiceAft wrote:

Jeff

It’s really not a mod that takes that long. I put it off for a long time. The hardest part I had was finding the parts. With the help of a few board members from this site, I was successful.

The reason I had, for doing the mod, was I was anticipating some day joining the guys who get together with beene for a group sail in Canada. Porta potty’s are a no-no where they sail.

Ray

That would include me, and was the reason I cited for changing to the MSD version with pump-out. I didn't make it last year (went to Cape Cod with lots of family instead), but will try again next year. Maybe we can even get John (Highlander) to fly out for that one, now that he's moved to the left coast of Canada. :|
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Postby BOAT » Thu Nov 09, 2017 12:50 pm

I am starting to get the guts to plan a trip to Canada, so I have some questions about the MSD and Canada stuff.

I'm sure California is going to eventually force this upon me anyways sooner of later so I think the solutions here are best for both situations: Canada and California, but I have a question on the shower and sink:

In Canada are you allowed to use your sink drain? Do they let you wash your dishes and take a shower on your boat or do they force you into a holding tank for that stuff too?
BOAT
Admiral

Postby NiceAft » Thu Nov 09, 2017 1:17 pm

Good question BOAT.

Maybe one of the MMOR crowd will be able to answer, or anyone else :D

Ray
NiceAft
Admiral

Postby Tomfoolery » Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:32 pm

I'm not Canadian, but I do the MMOR thing when I can. AFAIK, only Ontario Province requires the holding take (black water), but does not require a gray water tank. All of our Macs drain the galley basins overboard (factory standard), also AFAIK.

Hopefully Highlander can shed some light on this, as he's now a Canadian Left Coaster, but moved from the Toronto area recently. I assume, BOAT, you're talking about knocking around BC in your Mac, since that's the closest to you.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Postby BOAT » Thu Nov 09, 2017 4:35 pm

Yes, in particular the Queens Dominion, Bamberton and the Indian Territories. I suppose they will not care about these things in the wild lands. Is the MSD only for Ontario?
BOAT
Admiral

Postby 1st Sail » Sun Nov 12, 2017 7:51 pm

Is a Natures Head or C Head permitted?
1st Sail
First Officer

Postby BOAT » Mon Nov 13, 2017 8:59 am

1st Sail wrote:Is a Natures Head or C Head permitted?

I seriously doubt it.
BOAT
Admiral

Next

Return to MacGregor Powersailor Discussion