New powersailor

Postby Seapup » Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:03 pm

Came across this during lunch today

http://nuvayachts.com/en/

Seapup
Captain

Re: New powersailor

Postby sailboatmike » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:37 pm

Everyone wants to be a Mac, thats pretty high praise of just how good our boats are, that many manufacturers are copying the concept.

I can hear the "Real Sail Boat" owners mumbling their disgust now, whats next? How about some foils, so we can have a foiling Power Sailor :D
sailboatmike
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby miamistyle » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:22 pm

Yep - I have seen those as well. Made in Spain I think.

It is almost as cool as a Tattoo 22 :tat22: I hope production will start soon since they have had the new building for about six months now.
miamistyle
Chief Steward

Sailboat: MacGregor 19

Postby dlandersson » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:25 am

Very interesting. Seems to have very little cabin space - probably reflects the climate in the Mediteranean. 8)
dlandersson
Admiral

Postby kurz » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:54 am

looks for me too much motorboat like.

Cannot imagine you have good space under deck...
kurz
Captain

Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby NiceAft » Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:44 pm

It's a daysailer with a big motor. I'm sure there is a market for it somewhere. It's certainly not what I would have been looking for when I purchased my :macm: .
NiceAft
Admiral

Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Postby sailboatmike » Fri Jan 12, 2018 4:31 pm

I do like the idea of the boarding door on each side, climbing over the cockpit combing can be a challenge if your on a low floating dock or dont have a dock step
sailboatmike
Admiral

Postby NiceAft » Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:07 pm

Have you found the rudders yet?
NiceAft
Admiral

Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Postby BOAT » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:17 pm

I know this boat - I think it's Italian - here is what's wrong with it:

It's too lightly ballasted - it has a regular lead ballast keel that uses an electric winch to lower and raise the keel - the keel has a big bulb on the end where most of the ballast is. The boat is just barely light enough to tow on one axle and that's why it's so small - it does not carry enough ballast for a larger boat and sail-plan.

I think I saw this as a concept at a show - the one at the show did not have the RV type "Slide Outs" that are not recommended for users that plan on using the boat mostly for sailing because the boat is already too top heavy without the added Slide Outs.

Also - you can't sail the boat from the wheel helm - when it's time to sail you need to put a cassette type rudder into a rudder well in the back of the boat (that you can't use when powering the boat) and the cassette type rudder has a tiller attached to it. I can tell you from experience as someone who owned a boat with a cassette type rudder that it's a huge hassle and I recall that was my biggest balk on this boat when I saw it - I told the guy at the show that I had an A23 with a drop in rudder and that I would never ever have one again. Even Aquarius redesigned the A23 to eliminate the cassette rudder on the later boats. They are a total pita - also a big weak link in the Hunter trailer-able only their cassette rudder is not even removable! (pure trash).

The boat is a squirrel under sail - very difficult to control. Yeah, I remember the NUVI or NUVU or whatever they called it - it was at the Long Beach show. It's a very nice looking boat inside if you get the Cadillac version. I'm pretty sure the basic boat is just a plain white hull with nothing fancy on deck. That's the one I saw on the water in Long beach. I was not impressed.
BOAT
Admiral

Postby JotaErre » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:20 pm

I met the owner of the boatyard and sailed in one of the prototypes, it was moored in my marina. It's really fast under power. They have improved and refined it since.

The owner told me that the Mac was their inspiration, but he had made some market research and found that buyers wanted something smaller and more day-sailor like. He used to be the CEO of a large boatyard and, when he retired, he dedided to go on with this project, altogether with his daughter and his son-in-law.

They built several prototypes first, the original idea was to use mainsail only, but it didn't sail well, and they included a jib. A flaw in the first propototypes was that you had to take the rudder out if you wanted to change from motor to sail, and that wasn't easily done. Later versions have corrected this problem.

There's also an option to make the rear section of the hull wider when you are anchored or moored.

BOAT, it's Spanish, it's made in Vilafranca del Penedés, a town 30 kilometres from Barcelona.
JotaErre
Chief Steward

Postby BOAT » Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:27 pm

Okay, my error, I could not remember what part of the Mediterranean it came from - Spain makes sense - it looks really good and most of those fancy designs come out of Spain. I remember the interior looking really nice.

The removable well rudder was the main bad thing and having a tiller in the back and a wheel in the middle just seemed weird to me. I was not aware they fixed that - this is not a water ballasted boat so you hauling around your ballast with you on the trailer. To me the only thing it has going for it is it's good looks, in all other ways I would clearly put it in the "Cuddy Cabin" power boat class - that's really what it is. Don't get me wrong - it's a nice boat, but I would have a hard time comparing it to a MAC.

As for his market research - he is spot on - the young people today do not like the sweat and work of a traditional sailboat - they like the "point and go" features of a small power boat and they also have little time for recreation so they need speed. The Cuddy Cabin power boats fill this need quite well.

(How long would it take me to sail 'boat' to your house in Spain?)
BOAT
Admiral

Postby sailboatmike » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:41 pm

I think the market research got it all wrong, nobody here wants a day sailor (cuddy cabin or no cabin), they just are the worst of all worlds, no cover or shade and/or not enough room for using the cabin, this really limits the use of the boat. The one thing that people love about the Mac Power Sailors is the large spacious cabins which is one of the things we take into account when we decide to get a Mac, yes we will lose some sailing performance due to the nature of the beast, BUT we get stand up headroom, a large cabin, private head, cooking facilities and room to sleep 4 in real comfort and 6 at a push, with this thing you make the compromise of sailing ability but get nothing in return

I think Cal and a company called Hood got closer to the mark, they made flat deck cabin boats with a pop top to add a bit of extra room.
sailboatmike
Admiral

Postby NiceAft » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:49 pm

nobody here wants a day sailor (cuddy cabin or no cabin), they just are the worst of all worlds, no cover or shade and/or not enough room for using the cabin, this really limits the use of the boat. The one thing that people love about the Mac Power Sailors is the large spacious cabins which is one of the things we take into account when we decide to get a Mac, yes we will lose some sailing performance due to the nature of the beast, BUT we get stand up headroom, a large cabin, private head, cooking facilities and room to sleep 4 in real comfort and 6 at a push, with this thing you make the compromise of sailing ability but get nothing in return

Well said.
NiceAft
Admiral

Postby yukonbob » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:13 pm

Glorified pontoon boat with less space but can sail. Very niche market
yukonbob
Admiral

Sailboat: Other

Postby Highlander » Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:01 am

It,s a Glorfied high cost & high maint. piece of Sh-t . really u could have a lot more fun on a floating 20ft pontoon house boat with a small day sailor in tow ???? .

But if u were really a smart person U,d go for a :mac19: :macx: :macm: :tat: :tat22:

I bet the resale value of this 10yrs from now would b in the toilet !

It,s a fab thing of the times ?

Just sayin that,s all

J 8)
Highlander
Admiral

Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Next

Return to MacGregor Powersailor Discussion