Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksSupport this Website
Forum Home

unused jib

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Re: unused jib

Postby Herschel » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:07 pm

This is a little off topic, but since it involves my jib, I thought you guys on this thread might appreciate the story. My wife and I were sailing our X out on Lake Monroe in central Florida today. It was a beautiful day for the most part. A little overcast, but a steady breeze, temperature in the 70's. We were close-hauled in about 10 knots of wind. I was sitting to leeward at the helm, and she was sitting on the windward side of the cockpit by the hatch. Now, my wife has been crewing with me on sailboats for over 30 years. She knows nautical terms pretty well. So, I, not being able to see the luff of the jib as well as she could, asked her how the jib was doing. She matter-of-factly reported, "The jib is pretty"! I paused for a moment, then replied, "I think the term you are looking for is 'well trimmed'"! She replied, "No, it is pretty; the sail just has a nice shape to it; it is pretty"! So, guys, as you tackle your jib issues...keep it pretty! 8)
Herschel
Captain

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby sailboatmike » Sat Feb 03, 2018 3:17 am

Herschel wrote: I, not being able to see the luff of the jib as well as she could, asked her how the jib was doing. She matter-of-factly reported, "The jib is pretty"! I paused for a moment, then replied, "I think the term you are looking for is 'well trimmed'"! She replied, "No, it is pretty; the sail just has a nice shape to it; it is pretty"! So, guys, as you tackle your jib issues...keep it pretty! 8)

Well that will teach you not to sew lace trimming all around the foot and the leech :D
sailboatmike
Admiral

Postby dlandersson » Sat Feb 03, 2018 6:19 am

:D

Herschel wrote:This is a little off topic, but since it involves my jib, I thought you guys on this thread might appreciate the story. My wife and I were sailing our X out on Lake Monroe in central Florida today. It was a beautiful day for the most part. A little overcast, but a steady breeze, temperature in the 70's. We were close-hauled in about 10 knots of wind. I was sitting to leeward at the helm, and she was sitting on the windward side of the cockpit by the hatch. Now, my wife has been crewing with me on sailboats for over 30 years. She knows nautical terms pretty well. So, I, not being able to see the luff of the jib as well as she could, asked her how the jib was doing. She matter-of-factly reported, "The jib is pretty"! I paused for a moment, then replied, "I think the term you are looking for is 'well trimmed'"! She replied, "No, it is pretty; the sail just has a nice shape to it; it is pretty"! So, guys, as you tackle your jib issues...keep it pretty! 8)
dlandersson
Admiral

Postby DaveC426913 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:17 am

vizwhiz wrote:How funny... I just logged in to ask a question about cutting down my unused hank-on jib to turn it into a solent-style storm jib! I guess it’s that time! Or the full moon... :o

Since I use the furling 150 all the time, is there any point to having a storm jib?
I just furl in about 70%.
DaveC426913
Admiral

Postby Herschel » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:47 pm

DaveC426913 wrote:
vizwhiz wrote:How funny... I just logged in to ask a question about cutting down my unused hank-on jib to turn it into a solent-style storm jib! I guess it’s that time! Or the full moon... :o

Since I use the furling 150 all the time, is there any point to having a storm jib?

My thinking is that for the recreational sailing and occasional racing that most of us do, a conservatively furled standard jib would suffice. My understanding is that a storm jib is for very rough winds that might threaten the integrety of a convential headsail (stitching and grommets) by its sheer force. Folks that cruise across oceans for extended periods probably have to be prepared to face that possiblity. I was on the USNA ocean sailing team for 2 1/2 years (back in the 60's), sailing mostly 44 ft yawls. We carried a stormjib for the Bermuda race, but I honestly don't remember ever being in a situation that required us to use it. We had hank on jibs that decreased in size, and the smallest one was more than adequate for the strongest winds we ever saw, and the Chesapeake can throw some tough ones at you. If I ever found myself in a situation that I thought a storm jib was needed, I would be hoping my engine would be getting me to sheltered waters ASAP.
Herschel
Captain

Postby vizwhiz » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:03 pm

Herschel wrote:
DaveC426913 wrote:

My thinking is that for the recreational sailing and occasional racing that most of us do, a conservatively furled standard jib would suffice. My understanding is that a storm jib is for very rough winds that might threaten the integrety of a convential headsail (stitching and grommets) by its sheer force. Folks that cruise across oceans for extended periods probably have to be prepared to face that possiblity. I was on the USNA ocean sailing team for 2 1/2 years (back in the 60's), sailing mostly 44 ft yawls. We carried a stormjib for the Bermuda race, but I honestly don't remember ever being in a situation that required us to use it. We had hank on jibs that decreased in size, and the smallest one was more than adequate for the strongest winds we ever saw, and the Chesapeake can throw some tough ones at you. If I ever found myself in a situation that I thought a storm jib was needed, I would be hoping my engine would be getting me to sheltered waters ASAP.

Well first, i started a separate post about this, so i don’t want to hijack the OP’s thread any further - i’ll answer quickly and be done discussing my plans here...sorry OP!
Second, i probably shouldn’t have called it a “storm jib”, since there really is a sail design by that name. Let’s just call it more of a heavy weather jib, or a severely reduced in size jib that flies closer to the deck and mast. :wink:
Sorry to mislead anyone. I explained a whole lot more over in my other post.
vizwhiz
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Postby Highlander » Tue Feb 06, 2018 8:47 pm

I personally don,t see why anyone would get rid of an un-used spare Jib sail , what happens if u get caught in a storm & ur Genny takes a beating & ends up needing to be repaired in a sail loft mid season best of luck on that one ur going to the back of the waiting list because the big boy,s with the $$$$ git first dib,s lol, best case scenario 6wks & u r paying thro the nose ! , so smart move is switch out the damaged Genny for the Jib & get a quote to get it fixed off- season if that quote is also unreasonable then just settle back Finnish ur season off with the Jib , then u can afford to just sit back & wait until some of the sail lofts put some sails on sale during the winter or slow season .
I have 6 head sails & 2 Main sails I purchased back in 2007 in the big recession they r now worth more than 6 times what I paid for them in replacement cost & also if for some reason u have to sell ur boat the more sail inventory u have on board the better the resale value !
Would u go on a long trip & leave ur spare tire at home so as u could carry more luggage !!!!
Just Sayin That,s All

J 8)
Highlander
Admiral

Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby sailboatmike » Tue Feb 06, 2018 10:44 pm

Highlander wrote:I have 6 head sails & 2 Main sails I purchased back in 2007 in the big recession they r now worth more than 6 times what I paid for them in replacement cost & also if for some reason u have to sell ur boat the more sail inventory u have on board the better the resale value !
Would u go on a long trip & leave ur spare tire at home so as u could carry more luggage !!!!
Just Sayin That,s All

J 8)

If I had "Good" spare sails I would never sell them with the boat as a package, the purchaser would look at that as just a extra freebee your throwing in so puts little if any value on them, I would sell extra sails separately to get the most back on my investment. There is a good market in reasonable condition second hand sails due to the high cost of new ones. Sure I may offer extra sails to potential purchaser at a better price to off load them in a single transaction, but in all honesty I can't remember a boat with large sail inventory selling for much more than one with just the basics in good condition.

That being said, my old sails are packed up in the sail loft (read top of the garage), they will probably never see the light of day again on my boat but if push comes to shove they are there for spares along with my Genoa and the traditional spinnaker that came with the boat which I may try and cut down into a blooper
sailboatmike
Admiral

Postby BrianW » Wed Feb 07, 2018 11:46 am

I wish I had several of these. I gave it up to the first reply.
BrianW
Deckhand

Postby Baha » Sat Feb 10, 2018 5:33 am

I think it all boils down to your sailing conditions and type of sailing. My genoa was shot, and I tend to single hand where winds are very variable. I got a jib with luff pads from Judy and love it. On the other hand, I have a kite that has neot been out of the bag due to lack of crew when conditions are right. Hope that changes soon.
Baha
First Officer

Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby Jwnj » Sun Feb 11, 2018 1:45 pm

If anyone still has one please PM me dont seem to be getting notifications of new posts thanks
Jwnj
Deckhand

Previous

Return to MacGregor Powersailor Discussion