Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home

Freeze, thaw. Repeat for 6 months

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Freeze, thaw. Repeat for 6 months

Postby DaveC426913 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 1:14 am

So, how badly do you think I've pooched my poor SeaSaw by being too lazy to tarp it this winter?

The furling jib and lines may survive OK, and, worst case, I can replace them in the spring.
I'm worried about the glass in the bucket. There's surely plenty of tiny invisible cracks on the seats (esp the helm) over the years. I am imagining snow melting into the racks then freezing and widening them, week after week.

What have I done??
DaveC426913
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Freeze, thaw. Repeat for 6 months

Postby Bilgemaster » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:27 pm

DaveC426913 wrote:So, how badly do you think I've pooched my poor SeaSaw by being too lazy to tarp it this winter?

The furling jib and lines may survive OK, and, worst case, I can replace them in the spring.
I'm worried about the glass in the bucket. There's surely plenty of tiny invisible cracks on the seats (esp the helm) over the years. I am imagining snow melting into the racks then freezing and widening them, week after week.

What have I done??

I expect you may be worried over nothing at all, Dave. Granted, I live down here in the rather more temperate climes of Virginia, but we get the odd arctic blast down here too, and few of the boats in my lot are covered--maybe one in ten, if that. Mine aren't. A good scrub and a wax in Spring, and you should be good to go if she's on a trailer, assuming you don't have a neglected (non-winterized) water system or a half-filled portapotty or holding tank (since it's Canada) aboard that could burst--in which case, I foresee scented candles, and lots of them, in your future. Of course, if she's berthed in the drink that may be another complicating factor. Still, by way of some possible reassurance, look around your lot or any nearby boat lot or marina. Are ALL of the other boats covered? No? Well then, there you go. Hibernate peacefully on, Prince Dave. In no time those crocuses and daffodils will be signalling for your return to the cockpit, where my hunch is that you will discover all will be well.
Bilgemaster
First Officer

Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine

Postby vizwhiz » Sun Feb 04, 2018 11:05 pm

Everything but the lullaby, Bilgemaster! You said all that so gracefully... :)
vizwhiz
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Postby Highlander » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:54 am

Yep much easier to pick up those chocolate bars when there frozen to the floor but u r gonna need a hard scrubing cleaner brush to clean up that non- slip floor just can,t imagine the stench come spring time sorry for being such a party pooper ! :)
How much do new heads go for these days now anyhow !
J :P
Highlander
Admiral

Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby topcat0399 » Mon Feb 05, 2018 11:31 pm

I'll give the opposing view: you're screwed.

Sleep with an umbrella for a season as you re-bed 300 fasteners.....

:P
topcat0399
First Officer

Sailboat: Venture 2-24

Postby Bilgemaster » Tue Feb 06, 2018 2:00 pm

topcat0399 wrote:I'll give the opposing view: you're screwed.

Fret not Dave! I expect that may be just some primitive "Venture character-building ritual" topcat's describing. Those old salt Venture sailors have pine-tarred bowlines in their pubes. But after 17 years of standing in the wild elements, with no cover ever as I am aware, my X's cabin is still bone dry. Granted, under my care these past three winters I have swung by the state park boat lot she's in at least once a week to check on her, fire up a couple of Ikea scented tealight candles, and tinker with this or that. I also keep one of these little flexible USB fans for about a buck running when I'm not around (a superb tip from a YouTube channel chock full of great tips run by our fellow Mac owner in Oz whose handle there is "Davilla7," and which is well worth subscribing to and binge-watching til Spring comes and the glaciers and moose recede from your Tim Hortons parking lots up there). It draws little juice and keeps things down there nice and fresh and dry.

Oh, and if you need a soothing lullaby with a sort of dreamy nautical adventure and discovery theme as vizwhiz suggests, here you go,
Bilgemaster
First Officer

Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine

Postby DaveC426913 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 12:47 pm

You mean the enclosure fasteners? Not too worried about the enclosure. Rarely use more than the bimini.
Besides, the canvas is so old and shrunken I can barely get the enclosure on, even with fastener-extenders.

And I blew out my bimini this year anyway. Had a rectangular window panel put into it so's I could see the masthead from the helm.
After a wind storm, that window panel is at the bottom of the lagoon, and my bimini has a rectangular window-sized hole in it. :(

Mostly I'm worried about seepage through micro-cracks in the cockpit.
DaveC426913
Admiral

Postby Highlander » Tue Feb 13, 2018 3:46 pm

DaveC426913 wrote:

You mean the enclosure fasteners? Not too worried about the enclosure. Rarely use more than the bimini.
Besides, the canvas is so old and shrunken I can barely get the enclosure on, even with fastener-extenders.

And I blew out my bimini this year anyway. Had a rectangular window panel put into it so's I could see the masthead from the helm.
After a wind storm, that window panel is at the bottom of the lagoon, and my bimini has a rectangular window-sized hole in it. :(

Mostly I'm worried about seepage through micro-cracks in the cockpit.

Well I guess this would b a last resort ? :)

https://www.google.ca/search?q=depends& ... UC-b2zKMaM:

J 8)
Highlander
Admiral

Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby waternwaves » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:46 pm

I think John might need a warmer weather intervention...... :o
waternwaves
Admiral

Location: X less in North Puget Sound -have to sail other boats for a while

Return to MacGregor Powersailor Discussion