Marina etiquette upon arrival

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Jnitti1014
Just Enlisted

Marina etiquette upon arrival

Post by Jnitti1014 »

New to boating in saltwater, will be exploring the Long Island sound. What’s the etiquette for arrival in a marina, I figure reach out via vhf or cell phone and be guided by the harbor master, but wasn’t sure and wanted to know how you guys handle entering a marina for the first time.
topcat0399
First Officer
Sailboat: Venture 2-24

Re: Marina etiquette upon arrival

Post by topcat0399 »

I'd be happy to share how NOT to do it...
Gazmn
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg; AL 2X Trlr.

Post by Gazmn »

You assumed correctly Cap'n. I don't know how far East Or West you're starting. I'm at the beginning of the LI Sound in Bayside Marina & across the way is City Island, NY. We're the first marinas NW & NE after the Throgs Neck Bridge. The start of the LI Sound. We hail on Ch 72. & so does City Island Marina :| Watch your entrance speed as you go further E such as Hempstead Harbor; They have quite a long No Wake Zone.

Calling is easier & more discreet. I remember, many years ago heading my first time into Hemptsead Harbor, Hailing the Port Washington Town dock. Going to dinner @ Luigis'
They were expecting something the size of the Titanic cruising in :D :D :D Like I needed extra accommodations :D :D That's where I learned: discretion & the better part of valor :wink:

Personally, I can't wait till May/June, & decided I'm Goin' South Now! - Key Largo, FL For 2 Weeks 8)
Jnitti1014
Just Enlisted

Post by Jnitti1014 »

Gazmn wrote:You assumed correctly Cap'n. I don't know how far East Or West you're starting. I'm at the beginning of the LI Sound in Bayside Marina & across the way is City Island, NY. We're the first marinas NW & NE after the Throgs Neck Bridge. The start of the LI Sound. We hail on Ch 72. & so does City Island Marina :| Watch your entrance speed as you go further E such as Hempstead Harbor; They have quite a long No Wake Zone.

Calling is easier & more discreet. I remember, many years ago heading my first time into Hemptsead Harbor, Hailing the Port Washington Town dock. Going to dinner @ Luigis'
They were expecting something the size of the Titanic cruising in :D :D :D Like I needed extra accommodations :D :D That's where I learned: discretion & the better part of valor :wink:

Personally, I can't wait till May/June, & decided I'm Goin' South Now! - Key Largo, FL For 2 Weeks 8)
Gazmn, we ar neighbors, I’m at the College Point Yacht Club, a few miles west of you by the whitestone bridge. I’ll buy the food and beers if you can spare a day to come out with me and the wife and show us the basics on how to sail this thing!
Jnitti1014
Just Enlisted

Post by Jnitti1014 »

topcat0399 wrote:I'd be happy to share how NOT to do it...
Lol please do
Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg; AL 2X Trlr.

Post by Gazmn »

No Prob. See u in May or June. I'll PM u in a bit. I'm traveling 2-3 day drive.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery »

I like to have some knowledge of the destination marina in advance, usually from their web site, Active Captain (which has both write-ups, NOAA charts, and map and satellite views), and/or Google satellite view (same as AC, I believe). Then at least when they tell me to dock on the north wall, I know what they're talking about. I've been in some confusing places, arriving in the dark, and having a clue helps a lot.

I've always used the radio, but phone contact is becoming very common these days. My home marina even has a sign on a nav aid post instructing visitors to call a phone number. I don't think there's a mention of VHF contact. They monitor the radio (I think), but I've never heard anyone actually call them on the VHF, and I've been there for some years now.
Bilgemaster
First Officer
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine

Post by Bilgemaster »

topcat0399 wrote:I'd be happy to share how NOT to do it...
Please go on...

BOAT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by BOAT »

Your question is actually a good one,
It's different for different places.

Prior to the days of cell phones there was a radio channel that the harbormaster would monitor for the aid of all incoming traffic. (Usually 16 or 9) Prior to radios it was customary for the Harbormaster to provide a dock for incoming boats to park and visit the Harbormaster. This is still my preferred way to enter a harbor I am not familiar with - I go straight to the harbormasters office and tie up to his dock. Then I just walk in and tell the folks in the office I just pulled in and would like info on slip rentals - anchorage - stuff to do - it's always makes me happy to have a nice talk with the harbormaster that way I get all the inside info. Usually they have maps and all kinds of good info.

Nowadays you can't really do that just anywhere - At Avalon you must wait in the outer harbor for the Harbormaster to meet you in a Harbormaster boat. The Avalon radio channels are 12 and 16, but just around the bend at the Isthmus Harbor the VHF channel is 9 and they want you to tie up to a free mooring IN the harbor and wait for them to come move you. It's confusing.

They all have a phone number now you can call, but that won't get you a bathroom key because you need to give them a deposit. (If your new to the harbor your not going to have a bathroom key - I have keys for about 12 harbors).

One thing you don't want to do is pull up to the local yacht club unless you are also in a yacht club with reciprocal benefits - and even then expect people to chase you off if you have not called ahead. That's why I am not in a yacht club - I find most of them to be useless at the very times you need them most, (coming in late at night into a strange harbor).

The Marinas in Long Beach and Los Angeles will bend over backwards to accommodate you every need because their marinas are set up to cater to travelers and it's very profitable for them. San Diego is not hospitable at all - they pester you constantly and want you to buy a permit for EVERYTHING - you can't anchor, you can't raft, you can's spend the night - you can't take a pi$$ UNTIL you get a permit for it and each activity has it's own permit. It really sucks down there.

I have Active Captain built into my Garmin system and it's cool for finding the Harbor office, but get your info from the Harbormaster - things change that don't always get into the program.
Baha
First Officer

Post by Baha »

Here in the UK vhf calls are the norm. I try to call as early as possible as some fill up early. We have some with traditional locks and others with sill locks so calling the harbor master is a must.
JotaErre
Engineer

Post by JotaErre »

Baha wrote:Here in the UK vhf calls are the norm. I try to call as early as possible as some fill up early. We have some with traditional locks and others with sill locks so calling the harbor master is a must.
In Spain it's quite similar. Most marinas listen to channel 9, so you usually call them with some advance and ask if they have a free berth for your boat.
BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT »

JotaErre wrote:
Baha wrote:Here in the UK vhf calls are the norm. I try to call as early as possible as some fill up early. We have some with traditional locks and others with sill locks so calling the harbor master is a must.
In Spain it's quite similar. Most marinas listen to channel 9, so you usually call them with some advance and ask if they have a free berth for your boat.
Will they still help me if can't talk in Spanish?
Chinook
Admiral

Post by Chinook »

My suggestions include having a pencil and paper handy when calling the marina, whether on cell or vhf. Especially if entering a marina for the first time, you'll want to jot down your slip assignment, directions to it, whether it's a port or starboard tie heading bow in. If you have a preference, don't be bashful about requesting one side or the other. Also, always a good idea to ask if a dock hand will be available to help with your lines. If there's any uncertainty as to which side I'll be tying to, or if the slips are tight, I always come in fendered on both sides. I have 25 foot bow and stern lines always rigged for both sides, and I have them ready. Learn the correct way to toss a line to a dock hand (loosely coiled and underhand tossed so the line pays out and doesn't go out in a tangled wad. It's worth practicing ahead of time. Dock hands appreciate a skillfully tossed line.) If the dock hand cleats your lines off, don't assume it's been done correctly. Usually they'll do a quick temporary tie, but I always follow up and get them adjusted the way I like, including springs. Etiquette also extends to departures. It's always appreciated by the marina if you give them a vhf call as you're pulling out, letting them know you've vacated your slip and thanking them for their accommodations.
Herschel
Admiral

Post by Herschel »

I always come in fendered on both sides. I have 25 foot bow and stern lines always rigged for both sides, and I have them ready.
We are "cut from the same cloth" on this one. It always amazes me to see some folks glide up to a dock and start looking around for dock line. In the same vein, I notice folks undoing their dock lines before they start their engine; there will come a time... :o
JotaErre
Engineer

Post by JotaErre »

BOAT wrote:
JotaErre wrote:
Will they still help me if can't talk in Spanish?
In many marinas, specially in touristic zones in the Mediterranean, they speak English.