Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home

Pedestal side panels

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Re: Pedestal side panels

Postby Tomfoolery » Tue Mar 13, 2018 10:27 am

I'm partial to well nuts, as previously stated, mostly because they're removable, and don't require a tool to install. BUT, they do stick out a little, so mounting panels flush requires counterboring the hole slightly with a forstner bit (assuming wood or plastic) or end mill before drilling the through hole. With brass threaded inserts, they're not likely to get wrecked in a salt air environment, though I don't know how they'd do with SS screws.

Posted for the benefit of anyone who's not familiar with them, as I wasn't until I got the Mac and needed a way to attach to thin FRP, like the headliner. :wink:

I mounted my Caframo fan to the headliner using them, mostly because if and when I sell the boat, I'm keeping that fan and wanted to be able to remove the well nuts and stick little plastic plugs in the holes. But it doesn't quite sit flush, and I can't counter bore the bottom of the fan. :wink: But you'd only notice if you went looking for it.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Pedestal side panels

Postby Highlander » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:49 pm

I wish the :macm: pedestal had big open access panels like the :macx: pedestal .
I had to cut open & make more access panels "deck" on my :macm: pedestal :(

J
Highlander
Admiral

Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Previous

Return to MacGregor Powersailor Discussion