A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

mac n cheese
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Ready for spring and summer

Post by mac n cheese » Sat Apr 07, 2018 4:34 pm

NiceAft wrote:

This is just a polite response to enlighten those who believe they have found Nirvana in the Baja.

.”

Maybe the mods should change the thread title. (Mexico...Is it safe?) :) Always a good debate on just about any travel forum.

That's my problem Ray is that I'm in the process of looking for Nirvana and with my retirement date looming
I'm looking at our options for the winter escape. Thanks for sharing Rick's insightful post and your comments.
Indeed Baja's heat in the summer is out of the realm for visiting in those months.

Reading Chinook's blog's is an inspiration for anyone here with an adventurous spirit...which I consider myself. I want to go everywhere
he's been it seems. :D Yeah...I'm in a dreaming stage. I've traveled through most of Central America and a few countries in South America
by motorcycle. It's about keeping your guard up.

But first I'm going to enjoy and continue to mod our :macx: Then I will learn to sail our boat on a big lake in N. British Columbia. After
I get tired of that and the lake starts to freeze it will be time to trailer it south. But not until I get rid of that crap OEM trailer and replace
it with an aluminum one... w/ disc brakes. :D

paula_ke
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by paula_ke » Sun Apr 08, 2018 5:31 pm

Well, I think Baja Sur is great! My first time here was in 2007 when I met up with a friend who was kayaking the entire east coast of Baja from San Philippe to La Paz. I met up with her in Loretto and we spent 10 days exploring the Loretto Islands by Kayak. I knew that I would return. Now I spend my winters in Baja. This is my third winter and my partner has spent 11 winters here in Mulege where he has a casida (small house). This year I pulled my boat down from Oregon to Mulege and we got 18 days on the water. When not sailing I kept my boat on the trailer at the casida. There are no marina facilities in Mulege but the boat ramp is just 1.5 miles away.

This area has a very large ex-pat population. Many of these people have either lived here year round or wintered here for decades.
Boating falls into three catagories. Like me, you put in and haul out after each voyage, you are transiting and spending some time in Bahia Concepcion or you live aboard and anchor in one of the many cozy coves along the east coast of Bahia Concepcion where there are ex-pat beaches, a variety of restaurants with entertainment and mobile vendors that provide fish, fresh vegetables and water.

I found the Mexicans to be very friendly and family oriented. If you made any effort at all they would welcome you and invite you to join in on any festivities.

The winters are mild, in the 70's but can get very very windy. Once I learned the tides and wind conditions, it became easy to pick out the days best for launching, sailing and recovery. At least once a week we had several ideal days for boating. If we wanted to stay out longer we could hide in one of the many coves in Bahia Concepcion, take the dinghy into the beach, visit friends, listen to music, eat and drink at the restaurants.

On the days that we couldn't sail or just wanted to do something different, we took our dual sport motorcycles and went up into the Sierras or south and east and explored the coastal ranges and beaches between Mulege and Loretto.

We also hiked and explored the Sierra de la San Francisco ranges to the north.

We got to visit a lot of ranchos where we spoke bad Spanish and were invited to stay and join the family for great conversation.

The best time of year to sail in the Sea of Cortez is from early April to late May and early October to late November. The winds are favorable, you are out of hurricane season and not dealing with the Del Norte's of winter.

I'm sure this is not for everybody. If you want a marina setup then your choices are very limited. The big marinas are in San Philippe, Loretto and La Paz. There is a small facility for transiting in Santa Rosalia. Some people are satisfied with day trips out and about. Others provision and just use the marina's as an easy provisioning stop.

Being an adventurer, I prefer to be self support and find cool places on land and sea. My 4X4 E250 van is full self support for boon docking and all my motorcycles are capable of packing for multiple days. Now I'm slowly outfitting my Mac for boon docking in the Sea of Cortez!

Some people really thing Baja Sur is a bad place. I've not seen it, in fact, I feel safer down in Baja then I do up north. Hopefully the Baja bad message will continue to propagate. That way Baja will stay nice for the rest of my retirement!

Captain Paula of the good ship AirWave

:macm:
Last edited by paula_ke on Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:37 am

At the time of the initial post, it wasn't clear what the cause of death was. The kidnapping/viloence, etc. problems seem to keep spreading (as criminals keep looking for $$$). For example, Mit Romney's cousins area used to be pretty bucolic, in the last 10 years, they've been having problems. :(
paula_ke wrote:
dlandersson wrote:In the news yesterday, a family of four vacationing in Mexico was found dead - all four. The local authorities are investigatinhg. The drug and violence problems in the non-vacation spots are "bleeding" over to the tourist areas. :wink:
Why did you co-mingle the vacation deaths with drug and violence? This is how fake news gets started. To be clear, the investigation found that they died from a heater failure pushing carbon dioxide into the room.

mac n cheese
Chief Steward

Post by mac n cheese » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:44 pm

paula_ke wrote:

Thanks for the great info on the Bahia Concepcion area. For some reason I'm unable to open your pics. I really need
to go down there one of these days and scout that area of the Baja first. A good friend of mine routinely goes down there on
his big dual sport m'cycle. Maybe I take my Africa Twin down and join him one of these winters. :)

paula_ke
Chief Steward

Post by paula_ke » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:40 pm

I think I got the pictures worked out. Google photo makes you chew gum, rub your tummy and stand on one leg to get a link that works.

Who is your dual sport friend? Al and I pretty much know everyone in Mulege that rides the back country. Is he (or you) in adv rider? (the asylum)?

mac n cheese
Chief Steward

Post by mac n cheese » Tue Apr 10, 2018 4:50 pm

paula_ke wrote:I think I got the pictures worked out. Google photo makes you chew gum, rub your tummy and stand on one leg to get a link that works.
Who is your dual sport friend? Al and I pretty much know everyone in Mulege that rides the back country. Is he (or you) in adv rider? (the asylum)?
Dave Anderson who owns Anderwerks Motoradd Spezialist an independent BMW service here in Calgary. Spoke with him recently and he has not been down in a couple
years but was going down it seemed regularly with clients. They would truck their big dual sports down to Arizona first. He speaks highly of Mulege, maybe his favourite
place down there. Said he should of bought property down there a few years ago...after the fact of course. Yeah...ADVrider. I spend too much time on there. GSPD750 :)

Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg

Post by Gazmn » Tue Apr 10, 2018 11:05 pm

Hey Capt Paula,
Is that a Mavic Pro controller I spy in your quadcopter selfie?

I still haven't had the nerve to fly mine over water yet :D :D

Do you grab catch "land" or what do you to to land it?

BtB, Nice pics 8)

paula_ke
Chief Steward

Post by paula_ke » Wed Apr 11, 2018 12:19 am

@Gazmn, Why yes, that is a Mavic Pro controller! And yes, I do all launch and catch by hand. Started doing that last summer when I did a 2000 mile dual sport trip called the "Best of Montana" (BOM for short). I found that I was often in places that were not level enough for ground launch or just to dusty... My biggest problem the day I was flying from the boat was seagulls. They were not happy that I was in their territory!
Now that I have some time, I'm going to try and put together a video from all the clips I have in the can.

@Macncheese ADVrider, yes, been on that since 2006 I think. Handle is Adventure Girl :!:

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Wed Apr 11, 2018 6:38 pm

I'm trying to work up the guts to launch my CG035 over water, for anyone looking the CG035 is a nice cheap drone with double GPS, follow me, optical positioning, point of view mode and most of the goodies that the DJI's have but at around $200 odd.

I can't speak highly enough of mine, I know the early ones had issues but mine is a late series 1, (Before optical positioning) and the camera is acceptable, it makes great low cost starter unit

eodjedi
Engineer

Post by eodjedi » Thu Apr 12, 2018 5:38 pm

So...I got the DJI Mavic Pro for Christmas and I'm absolutely terrified to launch from my boat. I did get for the boat though. I will attempt to use the solar panel as a landing pad.

whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:53 pm

I have a dji 3 advanced I take most of my pics and videos from while on the boat..

https://vimeo.com/249615975

It's not too hard to learn with the GPS assist .... I have an X with a back stay and still have done fine so far .... I have it follow me while sailing and take off and retrieve while underway ....the one thing to remember though is that it will return to "home" if it loses signal so if you are moving it lands in where it took off from ...it lands in water :(

So some caution should be used but I've had it out over the ocean at alligator reef and had it orbit the lighthouse and my boat with no problems

whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn » Thu Apr 12, 2018 8:57 pm

I'm not sure id use the solar panels to land take off as it might slide off the edge ....i just sit my down right on the seat ....and I point the drone in the direction I want it to go so all I do is quickly go straight up and forward so it's away from the sails and stays

Being I have an X I let mine take off on the port side rear seat away from the back stay like in this video

https://vimeo.com/244269344

It's not nearly as hard as you'd think once you get used to catching it and powering it down in your hand ....always come back to the boat early as it takes sometimes 2 or 3 passes to not crash it so u must be careful

Starscream
Captain

Post by Starscream » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:19 am

whgoffrn wrote:I'm not sure id use the solar panels to land take off as it might slide off the edge ....i just sit my down right on the seat ....and I point the drone in the direction I want it to go so all I do is quickly go straight up and forward so it's away from the sails and stays

Being I have an X I let mine take off on the port side rear seat away from the back stay like in this video

https://vimeo.com/244269344

It's not nearly as hard as you'd think once you get used to catching it and powering it down in your hand ....always come back to the boat early as it takes sometimes 2 or 3 passes to not crash it so u must be careful
HOLY $#!TTT! WTF is THAT.

I'm never going to complain about winter again.

When we take our Mac out, the worst thing we have to worry about is a stray weed touching your foot.

Don't try this where you sail!!!

paula_ke
Chief Steward

Post by paula_ke » Fri Apr 13, 2018 8:00 pm

Release and catch with the Mavic Pro has become pretty routine for me. Take off is very easy with two people. One person holds the Mavic in the palm of their hand with a very light grip, the other person does the 'auto takeoff' and off she goes. Landing is a bit trickier and I prefer to do it by my self. Bring the Mavic down to eye level and get it close enough so you can move towards it, put your hand 'under' the mavic, gently grab the fuselage while not pulling down. Hold the left joystick down. The mavic may fight a little but will shut off the motor, just don't pull down until the motors are off.. Works every time. There are lots of good video's that show this technique. After you do it a few times it becomes second nature and you will never land or launch from the ground.

Regarding catching while underway. Hmmmm. Not sure I'm going to try that. It would require keeping the mavic moving while attempting a catch.

Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg

Post by Gazmn » Fri Apr 13, 2018 10:49 pm

eodjedi wrote:So...I got the DJI Mavic Pro for Christmas and I'm absolutely terrified to launch from my boat. I did get for the boat though. I will attempt to use the solar panel as a landing pad.
Oh I don't know about that Bro... :?

I'm gonna practice my R&C :wink:

Thanks Cap'n P