*What Is It?* Actual question as I really don't know.

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: *What Is It?* Actual question as I really don't know.

Post by Tomfoolery » Thu Apr 05, 2018 10:29 am

BOAT wrote:Well, YEAH - I mean, really . . . who puts RED on the boat??? It's just not nautical but it's NOTical if you know what I mean.
Hmmmmmm . . .

(Pssssst. Notice the red buoy behind the boat, retired from Erie Canal service long ago. :D )
Last edited by Tomfoolery on Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

Bilgemaster
First Officer
Location: Woodbridge, Virginia--"Breakin' Wind" 2001 26X, Honda BF50A 50hp engine

Post by Bilgemaster » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:02 am

As one might discern from the bottom paint of my little "Foundling" Com-Pac 16 shown foreground below, with my 26X behind, I'm OK with maroon. In fact, I'd read somewhere that a blue hull is right up there with bananas on board as being bad luck. Something to do with taunting the sea god Poseidon...

BOAT
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by BOAT » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:09 am

:|

Say what you will, but I still think chicken feathers work just as well and are less expensive.

He who is convinced against his will
Is of the same opinion still

I will not eat them with a fox
I will not eat them on a box

Sam I am

Burma Shave

(Chop it up!)

Starscream
Captain

Post by Starscream » Thu Apr 05, 2018 11:36 am

Tomfoolery wrote: Hmmmmmm . . .

I don't care what anyone says, that's one good looking boat, the X.

I'm changing my guess to either:
1) A forward hatch rain cover for when the mast is in the crutch. Slip the mast through the slot and tie the rope off to the bow pulpit. Don't know what the velcro is for though.
2) An anchor stay-sail. Put the boom off to one side, slip the boom through the slot, and tie off the rope to the rear rails. Still don't know what the velcro is for.

I'm going to go out on a limb and call it a staysail. Just have to figure out how to mount it.

RussMT
Admiral

Post by RussMT » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:42 pm

My guess is a quick connector between your bimini and dodger. You have what appears to be one now, but maybe this is a quick velcro deal that's easy to remove.

Or maybe cockpit cover.

Is there any matching velcro anywhere else?

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:54 pm

Maybe it's a left nostril nose inhaler that glows in the dark?? Or perhaps it's a non yellowing floor wax that is also a great dessert topping?

They say that Highlander is now available in an aerosol spray - maybe some one can shake up the can and see what comes out? He might know.

Are you sure it's not a medical device?

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:57 pm

Ok Tom
Another scenario is mast -up , front dodger window removed cover attached to the mast via slot run back to dodger over the boom tie off at the stanchions or winches doubles as a wind scoop for the cockpit & help keep the cabin cool on them very hot summer days
U know as soon as u cut it up u,ll figure out what it,s for ! & B kickin yerself in the butt for ever after ?

J 8)

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:06 pm

Highlander wrote:Ok Tom
Another scenario is mast -up , front dodger window removed cover attached to the mast via slot run back to dodger over the boom tie off at the stanchions or winches doubles as a wind scoop for the cockpit & help keep the cabin cool on them very hot summer days
U know as soon as u cut it up u,ll figure out what it,s for ! & B kickin yerself in the butt for ever after ?

J 8)
EXACTLY!!! GEEZE JOHN - you let the cat out of the bag dang it!

That's why I keep telling him to chop it up! I know the minute he starts cutting it he will figure out what it is and then the rest of us will know!

(CHOP IT UP!)

Tomfoolery
Admiral

Post by Tomfoolery » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:15 pm

Starscream wrote:I don't care what anyone says, that's one good looking boat, the X.
I agree, but then, I'm not exactly unbiased.

It looks a little sharper now that I've removed the SS vent in the head window and replaced it with black plastic. And I'm working on a trawler stub mast with masthead (steaming) light that will work with the mast in the stowed position (or no mast at all), elevated at the helm as shown, using the 1 ft spacer. I think I posted it in the Mods section, in fact.
RussMT wrote:My guess is a quick connector between your bimini and dodger. You have what appears to be one now, but maybe this is a quick velcro deal that's easy to remove.

Or maybe cockpit cover.

Is there any matching velcro anywhere else?

I couldn't find any velcro anywhere on the boat or the bimini (or the dodger), except inside the companionway door, intended for the screen with lead weights in the bottom seam that someone made.

BUT, there are some pairs of holes, filled with some white filler, in the cockpit coaming that I've never been able to identify. It's possible the original owner had just a bimini of a different make, with no dodger, and used that cloth as a connector or rain shield. It's the same fabric the helm cover was made of, and that fit poorly when I got the boat - I suspect the PO, rather than the original owner, added instruments which rendered the cover only partly fitting. I'm the third owner. So it's entirely possible the 'bridge' piece was made to fit a different bimini.

The canvas on the boat now was supplied by Dowsar, and still shows up on their web site as something they can supply.

You can just see the 'sunroof' in the bimini in the pic above. Here's the finished replacement, except for the sun shield, which is what prompted this whole inquiry in the first place. :D

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:19 pm

:cry: I still don't know what it is. :cry: I'm not smart enough to figure it out. I'm all out of guesses.

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:46 pm

BOAT wrote:Maybe it's a left nostril nose inhaler that glows in the dark?? Or perhaps it's a non yellowing floor wax that is also a great dessert topping?

They say that Highlander is now available in an aerosol spray - maybe some one can shake up the can and see what comes out? He might know.

Are you sure it's not a medical device?
Maybe u put the slot over ur head & shoulders then have a naked shower in the cockpit ? :) , me I,m just brazen enough that I go swimming in my under wear shower in the cockpit same way then hang my now clean undies up to air dry then proceed to sun bath in my sexy string thong layin on the cockpit :o , so far nobody seems to mind "must b my sexy booody" :D :D :D :D

just sayin that,s all

J 8)

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Thu Apr 05, 2018 1:51 pm

I agree with John - it's like he said: It goes thru the cockpit into the companionway and up the forward hatch back to the winches and around the aft pulpit to the mast where it's secured across the port stanchion to the bow pulpit back to the forward hatch and into the head where it terminates onto the TP roll and eventually - your butt.

Did I get that right, John?

Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander » Thu Apr 05, 2018 5:49 pm

BOAT wrote:I agree with John - it's like he said: It goes thru the cockpit into the companionway and up the forward hatch back to the winches and around the aft pulpit to the mast where it's secured across the port stanchion to the bow pulpit back to the forward hatch and into the head where it terminates onto the TP roll and eventually - your butt.

Let,s see what Tom has to say LOL :)

J 8)

BOAT
Admiral

Post by BOAT » Thu Apr 05, 2018 6:05 pm

Highlander wrote:
BOAT wrote:I agree with John - it's like he said: It goes thru the cockpit into the companionway and up the forward hatch back to the winches and around the aft pulpit to the mast where it's secured across the port stanchion to the bow pulpit back to the forward hatch and into the head where it terminates onto the TP roll and eventually - your butt.

Let,s see what Tom has to say LOL :)

J 8)

REALLY? You mean Tom . . FOOLERY ? Your really think a guy named TOM FOOLERY is going to level with us???

I think we are being played, dude.

vizwhiz
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Post by vizwhiz » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:09 pm

So i remember reading, on this board probably, where some have split a cover like that to go over the backstay. Could there be something back there it would go over?

Otherwise, I’m with russ that it was a bridge from dodger to bimini.