A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
dlandersson
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: planing in MAcX

Post by dlandersson »

And maby it's because I'm not the world's best sailor :|
Cougar wrote:
dlandersson wrote:My X planes at around 9-10 knots, Since the theoretical max. hull speed under sail is 6 knots (which I've never seen, 5.5 is my personal max with a Hunter 22 sail), it's highly unlikely that you can plane under sail. :wink:
I am surprised about your 5.5 max. I do get to and just over 6 knots every now and then, but maybe that's because I only have a light motor and only one fuel tank. Plus a full batten mainsail, fwiw :)
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

dlandersson wrote:And maby it's because I'm not the world's best sailor :|
Or maybe because you have nowhere to rush to, or maybe because all that tweaking of the sails, jib cars, helm etc. if just to much like hard work when you just want to relax and enjoy.

I have a friend I sail with who is always pushing for the absolute max speed all the time, I deliberately depower the sails just to annoy him, this guy is so intent on getting the best possible speed that he will steer courses 45 degrees away from the best angle just to carry a extra 1/2 knot of boat speed, I have pointed out to him that DMG (Distance Made Good) is a trade off between speed and direction, but can't get it through his head, however he does get the boat wound up and seeing the GPS go over 6knts isnt unusual, but all for naught if your going in the wrong direction :D
I guess old racers spirit never dies, he won many championships, but thinks the Mac is the best boat he ever sailed
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

In fact, went out today. Nice breeze, just used the genoa. Was doing about 2 - 2.5 knots. Just chilling, marveling at myself. :P

Because it was about 60 degrees, I forgot about sunscreen - arms are a tad red. :?
sailboatmike wrote:
dlandersson wrote:And maby it's because I'm not the world's best sailor :|
Or maybe because you have nowhere to rush to, or maybe because all that tweaking of the sails, jib cars, helm etc. if just to much like hard work when you just want to relax and enjoy.

I have a friend I sail with who is always pushing for the absolute max speed all the time, I deliberately depower the sails just to annoy him, this guy is so intent on getting the best possible speed that he will steer courses 45 degrees away from the best angle just to carry a extra 1/2 knot of boat speed, I have pointed out to him that DMG (Distance Made Good) is a trade off between speed and direction, but can't get it through his head, however he does get the boat wound up and seeing the GPS go over 6knts isnt unusual, but all for naught if your going in the wrong direction :D
I guess old racers spirit never dies, he won many championships, but thinks the Mac is the best boat he ever sailed
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

I always marvel when a light zeffer of wind is enough to push the boat gently along, its a awesome feeling