makeshift whisker pole

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
DaveC426913
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

makeshift whisker pole

Post by DaveC426913 »

I sailed the whole way home today on a dead run, so I played with fashioning my boat hook into a whisker pole to hold the jenny out (either behind the main, or wing-on-wing).

I'm thinking about making a better solution - one that hooks onto the clew all proper-like, not with bungies - and attaches maybe to the cabin-top track. Doesn't need to attach to the mast.

It would be awesome if I could deploy and ... ploy? ... the pole from the companionway. Then I could tack it easily without the fuss and folderol of going forward.

Anyone made such a contraption?
sunshinecoasting
First Officer
Location: Sunshine Coast Queensland Australia - "Entropy" Nissan 50 CDI Furling Jib

Re: makeshift whisker pole

Post by sunshinecoasting »

I don't worry about a whisker pole, I find if it is a true downwind run (which I love to do) then the wind flowing off the main holds the headsail in place, the best way (and safest) to do that on an :macx: is to remove the main sheet from the centre console and clip it to the life line loop on the rail just rear of the cabin, that way the main stays where you want and removes the risk of an accidental gybe. Works a treat.
DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 »

sunshinecoasting wrote:I don't worry about a whisker pole, I find if it is a true downwind run (which I love to do) then the wind flowing off the main holds the headsail in place, the best way (and safest) to do that on an :macx: is to remove the main sheet from the centre console and clip it to the life line loop on the rail just rear of the cabin, that way the main stays where you want and removes the risk of an accidental gybe. Works a treat.
Yup. I clip the main onto the "armpit" too.

Still, my 150 jenny spends much of its time limp.

Because my usual trip from harbour to island and back is several hours each way, the extra effort to catch max wind makes a big difference.
Highlander
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

U could try one of these on the jib track see if it works for U !
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/schaefer ... cordNum=38

https://www.garhauerstore.com/track-blo ... sc-l1.html

or check pricing at fogh or genco or HMP

J 8)
DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 »

Highlander wrote:U could try one of these on the jib track see if it works for U !
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/schaefer ... cordNum=38

https://www.garhauerstore.com/track-blo ... sc-l1.html

or check pricing at fogh or genco or HMP

J 8)
Yep. That's the plan.

Whisker poles are incredibly expensive.

I'm hoping that the way I'm using it counts as 'light wind' on a 'small boat', so I can buy a $200 one. I'm not spendin' 500 or a 1000 on one.

I'll probably start with a jerry-rigged boat hook, and see if it doesn't kill me.
Wayne nicol
Captain
Location: Queen CHarlotte Islands,B.C.---------------- lightning white 2012 26M "Merrylegs"

Post by Wayne nicol »

i got a fiberglass paint extension handle - its probably about 1.5 to 1.75" in diameter and telescopes in half, was very affordable.
i epoxied in a wooden plug at each end- then drilled through, and a very snug and short lashing to a snap hook
works very well!
Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander »

Here,s the boat hook / whisker pole mod link that I copied & made works like a charm instead of 3 sheet metal screws I tapped the treads #8 or # 10 & used threaded screws

http://www.macgregorsailors.com/modt/index.php?view=436
I also have a whisker pole so as I can fly my genny & jib wing on wing at the same time :P
J
Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander »

Ok Dave.
This is what u r talking about doing

Boat hook mod to whisker pole

not sure why u think this is any easier than a mast mounted one as u would still have to go forward to unhook it as u would not b able to swing it back too the cockpit because the shrouds r in ur way even if u put it above the life lines which u would have to do anyway

J 8)
DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 »

Highlander wrote:Ok Dave.This is what u r talking about doing
Yup.

Highlander wrote:not sure why u think this is any easier than a mast mounted one as u would still have to go forward to unhook it as u would not b able to swing it back too the cockpit because the shrouds r in ur way even if u put it above the life lines which u would have to do anyway
Yeah. I'm realizing that.

I was hoping I could reach the track car from the companionway, pull it in, detach from the clew, tack, then reattach from the companionway.

But frankly, that might end up being harder than just leaving it attached to the mast and swinging it over.

I hate having to go to the mast when single-handing. My auto-pilot (bungie) won't work for that long.
Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale »

When you backwind them the make an amazing sound like a carrot snapping...
Highlander
Admiral

Post by Highlander »

Catigale wrote:When you backwind them the make an amazing sound like a carrot snapping...
Ah I think someone has snapped his boat hook whisper pole on his Genny :P , I,ve done that but luckily for me it happened on the smallest dia , pole section & I only lost 6" of pole length so now only use it on the jib & bought a bigger whisker pole for the genny as I can run two head sails wing on wing with my two furlers :wink:

J 8)
C Buchs
Captain

Post by C Buchs »