Forum Home
IntroductionBrowse
Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home

Replacing Standing Rigging... are all SS cables equal?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Replacing Standing Rigging... are all SS cables equal?

Postby taylormade » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:22 pm

I'm ready to redo the rigging. I'm looking at BWY and they offer a complete rigging set for the X for $325. That includes new stay adjusters swaged on and the full monty, aside from shipping of course. http://shop.bwyachts.com/product-p/3118-1x0.htm

The thing is I have all the hardware and the swaging tool needed for the job. I just need the cable. Even if I were to buy it at the local "Worst Marine," I'd be out of there for under $150. I've found 100' of stainless cable online for well under $100.

Is there anything I need to be looking for aside from T316 1x19 5/32" cable? Am I making this too simple like I do everything else?
taylormade
Engineer

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Replacing Standing Rigging... are all SS cables equal?

Postby Signaleer » Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:49 pm

Ok, I have done this a few times now.

Please - do yourself a favor and use turnbuckles. I am usually a die-hard mac-original guy... well, don't be.

Balancing this rig with those original things is a pita.

1X19 is fine, I got 250 off Amazon for somewhere in a 100 bucks. Any west marine will have a crimper - or you can get one like I did.

I will be honest - this aint easy, if you want to get the rig tuned right.

Enjoy yourself.

Ed
Signaleer
First Officer

Location: Foley, Alabama...2002 26x & 2002 90 HP Mercury Salt Water 2-stroke

Postby taylormade » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:04 pm

Signaleer wrote:Ok, I have done this a few times now.

Please - do yourself a favor and use turnbuckles. I am usually a die-hard mac-original guy... well, don't be.

Thanks for the reply and advice! I have a crimper already and I also have turnbuckles on all the stays from the previous owner that I planned on reusing. Do you have any recollection of how much cabling you actually needed? I was thinking 150' would be plenty, no?
taylormade
Engineer

Postby Signaleer » Tue Jun 12, 2018 9:45 pm

I bought 250 spool... but yes, 150 will be more than enough.

I have a different mast and shorter spreaders - but my uppers were 25 feet apiece, and lowers were like 14 if memory serves me

Stock lengths are probably 26 plus or minus I'm guessing.

I used the stock 5/32 for shrouds and already had 1/8th forestay created last year that I reused.

Ed.
Signaleer
First Officer

Postby taylormade » Wed Jun 13, 2018 1:42 pm

Got it, thanks much. I'll try to source 150'
taylormade
Engineer

Postby taylormade » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:53 pm

Signaleer wrote:Please - do yourself a favor and use turnbuckles. I am usually a die-hard mac-original guy... well, don't be.
Ed

Actually when I checked (sigh, it's been too long since the sails were raised) I only have turnbuckles on the front and rear stays. Are you advising to put them on the sides as well? Sure would be a lot easier and more precise than adjusting holes.
taylormade
Engineer

Postby DaveC426913 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:31 pm

I've never adjusted my stays. But I prolly should.

If I were to replace the current adjusters with turnbuckles, would that require replacing the SS too?
DaveC426913
Admiral

Postby Signaleer » Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:33 pm

Well, let's get the facts out.

The existing hardware will work. It is on my boat now.

I probably am a bit ofa sailing snob for the Mac community and want the rig tuned tight and like pushing the boat.

I've replaced the entire rig twice now and when I put a cabon spar on it - it will have turnbuckles. Tuning the rig with turnbuckles on shrouds is 1000 times easier and faster.

I have read turn buckles down travel as well, but I keep mine on a life (soon) and for now, in the water.

This is just an opinion - I'll never NOT use turnbuckles again. Based on my experience.

Ed
Signaleer
First Officer

Postby taylormade » Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:25 am

Alright, what about cable ferrules? I'm beginning to understand why BWY is charging so much for their pre-mades... what a pita it is to find all these components! When I thought I finally found what I was looking for, I noticed that it doesn't specify use for 1x19. Are there specific ones just for 1x19?? If so, can anyone post a link to where I can buy them? Thanks!!

taylormade
Engineer

Postby Estate Sail » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:28 am

I just replaced my standing rigging on my 26M with a BWY Kit for $300 with shipping. They do a nice job and give me peace of mind that it was done right. I had a main shroud fray with only 6 strands remaining. I don't know if I would have lost the mast if it completely but it scared the crap out of me.
Estate Sail
Deckhand

Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby Tomfoolery » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:55 am

taylormade wrote:Alright, what about cable ferrules? I'm beginning to understand why BWY is charging so much for their pre-mades... what a pita it is to find all these components! When I thought I finally found what I was looking for, I noticed that it doesn't specify use for 1x19. Are there specific ones just for 1x19?? If so, can anyone post a link to where I can buy them? Thanks!!

Those are stainless. Copper is normally used for these terminations (not aluminium like those in the big box stores). You'd probably need a much heavier crimp tool for SS.
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Postby taylormade » Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:36 pm

Estate Sail wrote:I just replaced my standing rigging on my 26M with a BWY Kit for $300 with shipping. They do a nice job and give me peace of mind that it was done right. I had a main shroud fray with only 6 strands remaining. I don't know if I would have lost the mast if it completely but it scared the crap out of me.

Yeah I get that and I can CERTAINLY appreciate the ease of it... believe me. But from the looks of it, I can buy the raw material for $155. I already have the crimper (swaging tool) and I'm afraid that if I buy the pre-made ones, I'm going to have to adjust them anyway because I moved all my hardware (spreaders, blocks etc) over to a new mast so it might not be the exact same and I may have to adjust them anyway.
taylormade
Engineer

Postby Signaleer » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:06 pm

taylormade wrote:
Estate Sail wrote: But from the looks of it, I can buy the raw material for $155. I already have the crimper (swaging tool) and I'm afraid that if I buy the pre-made ones, I'm going to have to adjust them anyway because I moved all my hardware (spreaders, blocks etc) over to a new mast so it might not be the exact same and I may have to adjust them anyway.

Very smart.

Inches matter. If it is the exact same mast and all the exact same hardware, maybe it would work. its a lot cheaper to do it yourself, although be prepared - this is not a single six pack job.

I learned more about rigging, rake, bend, tension (get a loos gauge... seriously, get one) and other crap I never want to know about. OH... and I wish I used turnbuckles.

Fair winds.

Ed
Signaleer
First Officer

Postby kurz » Fri Jun 15, 2018 12:35 am

yea... do it yourself gives you a hard start. BUT later it goes well.
I like to have the know how. And if something has to be repared... just do it instantelly ore make it better.

Example: One lifeline was broken. So now have enough 3mm cables to do the next one. And IF I will do the other side, I will put crimps also there where the cable goes through the stanchion to prevend damage.
kurz
Captain

Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Return to MacGregor Powersailor Discussion