Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksTell a FriendSupport this Website
Forum Home

$ailed a $eaward 32rk

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

$ailed a $eaward 32rk

Postby 1st Sail » Tue Jun 12, 2018 11:15 pm

Enjoyed a great day sailing a $eaward 32RK saturday. What an amazing boat. The fit and finish is superb. Spent 4 hours behind the wheel on all points of sail. Easily points to 30°. At 35° main and jib trimmed 10-13knts apparent, I topped out at 6.6knts sog several times. Never heeled past 15° heel. This has been on my radar for several years. It was a great opportunity to be on the helm and enjoy a well designed boat. The additional 4,000lbs+ made the day very comfortable. I still appreciate my M it is certainly a lot of boat for the $. Being able to trailer the M around to all the midwest lakes and reservoirs is a great + for the Mac.
1st Sail
First Officer

Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: $ailed a $eaward 32rk

Postby sailboatmike » Wed Jun 13, 2018 2:35 am

I know how you feel, we have toyed around looking at a Beneteau but it really doesn't make much sense as we sail in real shoaling waters plus the extra cost of keeping her in a Marina (around $6000 plus a year), annual haul outs and hull cleaning and of course we all know as the size of the boat goes up the maintenance costs rise totally disproportionately.

Now if you were going to live aboard it may make financial sense, but we are many years away from that.

We love the fact that the Mac gives us POOR people a chance to sail in relative comfort
sailboatmike
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby dlandersson » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:31 am

I'm jealous. 8)

1st Sail wrote:Enjoyed a great day sailing a $eaward 32RK saturday. What an amazing boat. The fit and finish is superb. Spent 4 hours behind the wheel on all points of sail. Easily points to 30°. At 35° main and jib trimmed 10-13knts apparent, I topped out at 6.6knts sog several times. Never heeled past 15° heel. This has been on my radar for several years. It was a great opportunity to be on the helm and enjoy a well designed boat. The additional 4,000lbs+ made the day very comfortable. I still appreciate my M it is certainly a lot of boat for the $. Being able to trailer the M around to all the midwest lakes and reservoirs is a great + for the Mac.
dlandersson
Admiral

Postby 1st Sail » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:24 pm

Mobility is the big decision for us. The local marina is half empty this year. They dropped the slip cost to $600 this year. Line tight, hook set, got me! We skipped the bottom paint since we have been trailering for the past 10yrs. We watch the weather for 7-10 days and drop it in and pull it out clean it up stick in the warehouse until the winds and weather are favorable. Then back to the slip for another 1-2 weeks. I may still bottom paint just as a precaution so we can leave it in for a month. Obviously we are getting spoiled. The marina is 15 mins. from the house. Its river sailing but sure beats mowing grass.

The $eaward is not a live aboard but you could certainly spend summers on the Great Lakes then park it somewhere and hide in the southwest for the winter in a small RV. Now were talking money again. I call it the $75-$100k delema. $25 for Mac $50-$75 for an RV. Or just by an older Tartan like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMJptbmyWos in bristol condition for $43k and sail away.

Now that the river is up and current running 3kts I'm back looking a bigger faster boats and selling it all and leaving. The 32RK is $$$ for its length but you can move it around the country if needed.
1st Sail
First Officer

Postby Ixneigh » Wed Jun 13, 2018 3:43 pm

How did the RK sail with no board down?

Ix
Ixneigh
Admiral

Postby 1st Sail » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:39 pm

We sailed all day with about 36in of keel down. I was surprised how stiff it sailed. The only time we heeled to 15' heel was on a reach with the sails over trimmed. I had been running 2-3 miles trimmed 30-40' to wind and fell off to 90'. Had we maintained the heading we would have retrimmed the main and it would have stood right up. Earlier in the day I ran from a broad reach to reach with the sails trimmed we were essentially flat. We had brand new main and jib sails. Maybe sailed 15 days at most. Main sail was cut similar to the BWY flat head, full batten.

We are serious considering abandoning the RV/Mac combo for a used 32rk. Being able to move the Mac all over the US is a huge plus for us. So it not bigger boat syndrome at all. I would like a little more head room and little more 'head/ shower' room. Cabin is 6'3". Overall there is more storage but not proportionally with a fresh and black water tank. The owner had the boat built without a black tank. Black tank was never installed. Installed a Natures Head which I think is an excellent decision. Instead the factory installed a second fresh tank for a total of 95g fresh. I would have opted for a small water maker. If we keep it in fresh I would opt for one of these http://www.safh2ouv.com/. There was a prior post here a few month back.
1st Sail
First Officer

Postby dlandersson » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:54 am

$600 is pretty nice -= where is your marina? 8)

1st Sail wrote:Mobility is the big decision for us. The local marina is half empty this year. They dropped the slip cost to $600 this year. Line tight, hook set, got me! We skipped the bottom paint since we have been trailering for the past 10yrs. We watch the weather for 7-10 days and drop it in and pull it out clean it up stick in the warehouse until the winds and weather are favorable. Then back to the slip for another 1-2 weeks. I may still bottom paint just as a precaution so we can leave it in for a month. Obviously we are getting spoiled. The marina is 15 mins. from the house. Its river sailing but sure beats mowing grass.

The $eaward is not a live aboard but you could certainly spend summers on the Great Lakes then park it somewhere and hide in the southwest for the winter in a small RV. Now were talking money again. I call it the $75-$100k delema. $25 for Mac $50-$75 for an RV. Or just by an older Tartan like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMJptbmyWos in bristol condition for $43k and sail away.

Now that the river is up and current running 3kts I'm back looking a bigger faster boats and selling it all and leaving. The 32RK is $$$ for its length but you can move it around the country if needed.
dlandersson
Admiral

Postby Seapup » Thu Jun 14, 2018 6:46 am

I call it the $75-$100k delema.

There is a 2009 32' Hake listed at 55k.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/69028
Seapup
Captain

Postby Ixneigh » Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:46 am

Id have to buy another house AND the new boat :D ...since the M barely fits in my driveway as it is.
I guess if I gave up the idea of keeping the boat at home during my "off season" then I may as well get another keel boat with 3ft draft. Much more affordable in the form of older Bristol, Morgan etc.

I
Ixneigh
Admiral

Postby Wayne nicol » Thu Jun 14, 2018 5:23 pm

what about a 32 - 33' boat, still easily trailerable,
water ballast, and high speed motoring like our macs :?: 8)
Wayne nicol
Captain

Location: Queen CHarlotte Islands,B.C.---------------- lightning white 2012 26M "Merrylegs"

Postby 1st Sail » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:33 pm

Hey Wayne,
We had a great conversation on the phone. I've been planning on calling you to check on progress.

Built is they will come!
I would settle for 28-30, total towing weight 6-7,000lbs which keeps inside the Chev 1500 and Ford 150 tow weights.

A light weight version of the $eaward.
1st Sail
First Officer

Postby 1st Sail » Thu Jun 14, 2018 10:53 pm

typo...
Build it and they will come! With the Seaward starting at $198k maybe you can find and NA and builder that can put together something affordable.
1st Sail
First Officer

Postby 1st Sail » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:15 pm

DLAnderson,
My slip is at Marquis harbor Moline, IL. We have a total of 4 sailboats. Needless to say I get a lot of compliments every time we go out. The marinas here are half empty. They are all begging for boats.

For river sailing this area is one of best with the exception of Lake Pepin. There are three pools with dual locks at Rock Island, and pleasure locks at Le Claire so you seldom have to wait to lock thru due to barges. Best of all you can pick the pool based on wind so we get to sail on a reach most days. Two of the pools run essentially E-W and one N-S. Current can be a PIA when river levels rise due to rain. I have seen it run as high a 3-4knts. Usually under 2knts.

If anyone want to sail the Miss let me know.
1st Sail
First Officer

Postby dlandersson » Fri Jun 15, 2018 5:57 am

And they can't do photos.

Husband can install "We have added AIS, Radar, and Chart Plotter, mast raising kit, which my husband can do alone... and kept up maintenance every year." but can't upload a picture? 8)

Seapup wrote:
I call it the $75-$100k delema.

There is a 2009 32' Hake listed at 55k.

http://www.sailboatlistings.com/view/69028
dlandersson
Admiral

Postby dlandersson » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:06 am

Yeah, I looked it up on google maps - a bit far to save $1200. I sail out of Mich City, IN - the other side. If you ever want to sail a great lake, let me know. :)

1st Sail wrote:DLAnderson,
My slip is at Marquis harbor Moline, IL. We have a total of 4 sailboats. Needless to say I get a lot of compliments every time we go out. The marinas here are half empty. They are all begging for boats.

For river sailing this area is one of best with the exception of Lake Pepin. There are three pools with dual locks at Rock Island, and pleasure locks at Le Claire so you seldom have to wait to lock thru due to barges. Best of all you can pick the pool based on wind so we get to sail on a reach most days. Two of the pools run essentially E-W and one N-S. Current can be a PIA when river levels rise due to rain. I have seen it run as high a 3-4knts. Usually under 2knts.

If anyone want to sail the Miss let me know.
dlandersson
Admiral

Next

Return to MacGregor Powersailor Discussion