How do you store your enclosure panels?

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

dthiesmeyer
Chief Steward
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Westland, MI / Lake Erie Metropark Marina / "Good Times" - 2010 26M - 60HP Bigfoot

How do you store your enclosure panels?

Post by dthiesmeyer » Thu Jun 21, 2018 8:14 am

I just installed the Blue Water Yachts large bimini on my 26M. I also got the back and side enclosure panels. They came with the window cut-outs taped to the outside and the window panel protective paper taped on the inside. This did a great job of protecting the window material for shipment. I was wondering how others have stored their panels when not in use. Do you store them flat with a protective layer between panels? Do you roll them? I was thinking that I could use the Sunbrella cut outs to protect the glass after binding the edges and placing Velcro tabs at the corners to attach to window panels. My first thought would be to roll them and place them in a protective tube for storage under the Port seats. What have you done to protect your window panels?

Starscream
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: How do you store your enclosure panels?

Post by Starscream » Thu Jun 21, 2018 3:43 pm

Umm...nothing. Roll em up and stuff em in the aft berth. I just avoid folding the windows if I can, but I've even done that on occasion. Sunbrella is tough stuff. I did spend a few bucks on the aerospace protectant that Sunbrella recommends, and that really protects the fabric.

C Buchs
First Officer

Post by C Buchs » Thu Jun 21, 2018 4:53 pm

I just roll them up and stuff them in the aft berth also. A bag to put them in would be a good way to help protect them. I want to install an "Aft Berth Raised Storage" like on Knot Shore. You can find a write up here: http://www.enctrader.com/hardtlefamily/ ... efault.htm This boat's been sold, so who knows how long this web page will be up.

Jeff

Don T
Admiral
Location: 95 2600 "SS OTTER" - Portland OR - Tohatsu 50 - Hull#64 (May 95)

Post by Don T » Thu Jun 21, 2018 9:02 pm

Hello,
To help preserve our enclosure panel vinyl windows we neatly roll them up and slide them into 4" white thin wall PVC pipe. They are stored in the rear berth along the starboard side.

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:22 pm

Early on (as in 15 years ago) I very carefully covered the plastic "windows" with either a towel or rubbery shelf liner material, but after about 5 years or so, I have just done what most of the other posters have done, rolled or folded them up and put them in a duffle type bag. I only keep them on the boat when I expect to be out over night; otherwise they stay in my garage. The Bimini and dodger stay on the boat, at a slip, installed all summer long in Florida. I do, annually, clean and refresh the Sunbrella water repellency with the products sold by Sailrite:
https://www.sailrite.com/Repair-Mainten ... popularity
https://www.sailrite.com/303-Fabric-Guard-16oz
As the Sunbrella ages and is exposed to the sun and weather, it does slowly lose its waer repellancy. I discussed this with the Sailrite folks; they said it was normal, so I do the annual clean and reseal. My Bimini and enclosue is going on 20 years and is still going strong. there have been some patches and new snaps from time to time, but the stuff is strong.

seahouse
Admiral
Location: Niagara at Lake Erie, Ontario. 2011 MacM, 60 hp E-Tec

Post by seahouse » Sat Jun 23, 2018 12:57 am

Our Dowsar full enclosure came with sheets of what I would describe as a type of spun fibre landscape cloth rolled between each piece. We rolled this up with each panel when we stored them, which I think is a good idea for the window plastic as I have seen in the past that the plastic can adhere/ stick to itself and leave permanent marks over time. Also isolates it from marks, dimples, scratches, scuffs from the zippers and fasteners.

I used a longer heavy 3" diameter cardboard tube as an "axel" to roll the larger panels over to keep them straight, make handling them easy, and to prevent sharp folds.

If there are many panels, use a fabric pencil to label (with initials) the prominent corners (bimini, dodger, connector, side and rear window panels, port and starboard etc) for speedy identification and orientation on assembly.

I will be doing this in the future for any clear window panels we store.

We used Kleer to Sea to clean the clear plastic parts. They still looked brand new the day we sold them 5 years later.

- B :wink:

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Sat Jun 23, 2018 1:55 pm

Well mine have been on the boat for over a yr so the vinyl badly needs cleaned water proofed the Bimini & mid section last yr gotta do the dodger & side panels this yr :(

J 8)

rsvpasap
Deckhand

Post by rsvpasap » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:04 pm

Folks say it's important to roll the panels rather than folding because the clear sections may develop permanent creases. I roll mine around 2-inch pvc pipe and store them in the aft berth (my aft berth is all storage) in a clear plastic box with wheels. https://tinyurl.com/y9fgx6pc When needed, the bimini and dodger go in one box and all the other sections fit in a second box.

March
Captain

Post by March » Thu Aug 02, 2018 8:00 am

The bimini has a zipped-up cover that I never use. When the bimini is in place, it is always deployed and I store it below deck when travelling. The rest of the dodger goes up in the bimini cover (rolled up, piece by piece, like rsvpasap suggests) producing a "sausage" that gets stomped all the way aft at the end of the berth. Takes very little space down there and it's out of the way

JotaErre
Chief Steward

Post by JotaErre » Mon Aug 06, 2018 5:50 pm

Starscream wrote:Umm...nothing. Roll em up and stuff em in the aft berth. I just avoid folding the windows if I can, but I've even done that on occasion. Sunbrella is tough stuff. I did spend a few bucks on the aerospace protectant that Sunbrella recommends, and that really protects the fabric.
That's what I do, too.