Scooter Power! & Trolling Motor!

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg

Scooter Power! & Trolling Motor!

Post by Gazmn » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:00 am

Okay... July is just around the corner - & I'm Still not @ my mooring yet :|

So, What am I doing?? Modding like a mad man! I'm putting a 36V, 105lb, Xi5 Motorguide Trolling motor on the bow, with a 72" shaft. Why?? Because I can! 8) While the details are a PIA, it's coming along. Hope Mod Post will be ready soon. Reason: Catching / steering to, my mooring solo [Most often :( ].

-If I had a dollar for everytime I was in a hurry & needed to pickup mooring on first try, but got blown off from the wind - As I had to cut my engine while going forward for pickup :P ... No more :x Now, I anticipate steering from the bow trolling motor through the mooring field - & can even use my Lowrance autopilot from chart plotter 8)

The trolling motor is as well back up auxilliary for docking/bow thruster, passage maker - especially in skinny water, sail setting & mooring. While I'm not much of a fisherman - "Fish On! 8) " These options all have GPS anchor lock - It's like hydro hovering: 1.My guy, Motorguide; 2.This is one Bad Motha - but is somewhat prone to breakdowns & 3.Probably the best & most expensive .

So, Whadda Ya Think?...
These were expensive indulgences that I'm placing in the Mod category

This feature would/could also keep me off rocks or hazards in case of primary motor failure. & Crazy stressful situations with a lee shore/ rocks, etc. eg: While I'm not in it much, the water is too deep for anchoring off shoal during engine failure btw the Throgs Neck & Whitestone Bridges on Upper East River. You quickly go from too deep to too shallow on the shoals :| & No, I've Never been in that danger - but was well aware of my limitations.

The Minn Kota Ulterra is the most gadgety. I Love the auto stow & deploy feature! In theory, you can solo launch & retrieve on a Whole 'nother level! - But since I have a Lowrance radar & plotter, Motorguide, which works with Lowrance, & 1 less boat buck, was a no brainer. I'll go forward & manually deploy :wink:
I may be far off "the reservation" on this. But I'll keep you posted, once I'm in the water.

In my late Winter/Spring ruminations & imaginations, I tried to think of a cruisers land transportation options. I tried the folding bike - takes up a lot of room- especially x2 & came up with this, & This as a stowable transportation option while cruising & perhaps carless... The first is about 15lbs & the motorized, 25lbs - Even x2, that's not a lot.

So, Whadda Ya Think?...
Last edited by Gazmn on Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jimmyt
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Scooter Power! & Trolling Motor!

Post by Jimmyt » Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:53 am

Trolling motor Looks like a blast! I toyed with the idea of using one for a thruster after my first docking attempt. Before I could engineer a solution, I got better at docking. I like the composite shaft - always been prone to bending or breaking them myself - but typically during fishing in shallows/stumps, etc.

If you had another boat buck, you could post a video of your Mac drone cruising around unmanned. That deploy/stow feature is a game changer. I love gadgets, but I think I would probably saved the boat buck and gone the way you did.

Now, about the scooter idea... well, it’s probably good exercise, but be careful. That thing has America’s Funniest Videos written all over it. Disc brakes are cool, though. Electric scooter says 21 mile range and 18mph top speed. Probably shorter than that with an adult, but seems suitable for marina and short jaunts. Again, 18mph on tiny wheels just screams future "fails" video content.

Can't wait to see pics of the trolling motor install, and videos of it in action!

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Thu Jun 28, 2018 2:05 pm

I think its a great mod & once u get all the logistics sorted out show us all a video of ur install & if I like it I,ll let u buy me one & also install it for my birthday in Sept. :P
Why because I,m busy just installed a another new hatch & now installing a new Radar arch , so it will b a treat just to sit back & watch u do a mod for me :)
As for the wheels I stick to walkin I need the exercise & if it,s too far I,ll either take a bus or cab I don,t wanna get run over by a truck or some crazy guy on a scooter ! :D :D :D

Just Sayin That,s All

J 8)
PS U might wanna think about training wheels for that little sucker Oh & a crash helmet, knee pads & elbow pads & I guess the wheel chair comes next :)

sailboatmike
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by sailboatmike » Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:48 pm

My kids a Razor electric scooters, they are awesome, not overly fast but better than walking, the secret is a nice big front wheel, pneumatic front tyre is preferable as even a small rock can bring you undone quick smart with small diameter hard rubber or plastic ones.

I think the kids ones (which would hold a fair sized adult) were around $150Au ($100Us) each and being Razor are good quality

Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg

Post by Gazmn » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:13 pm

Thanks for comments guys. & Happy Future Birthday John 8)

The Trolling mod is a lot - but coming along. The scooter is more for splits & giggles :wink:

But Jimmy's comment cracked me up:
Now, about the scooter idea... well, it’s probably good exercise, but be careful. That thing has America’s Funniest Videos written all over it.
:D :D

Yeah; I'll be careful; Wear a helmet & pads. I like the green one because it has shock absorbers, good sized wheels & it's own power. & if I were to do a cruise, it would Definitely be in my Go kit. At 25 lbs, wouldn't need a rental or Uber - unless I wanted it. & I can throw the scooter in the trunk or even take on public transportation.
-Fair tradeoff for wearing a goofy helmet...

Just Sayin 8)

Highlander
Admiral
Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Post by Highlander » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:20 am

I,m thinkin one of these might b a better option for U !
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBLKzIcWnuk

J 8)

JotaErre
Chief Steward

Post by JotaErre » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:55 pm

Electric scooters are quite fashionable in my city (Barcelona, Spain) these days. They are really fast.

I've been using a kick scooter as my daily transport for the last seven years or so, and I think it works for distances smaller than five kilometers. My only caveats for both (electric and kick scooters) are:

1) They can be dangerous with a slippery pavement. I never use mine when it rains or right after it has rained.

2) Be careful with bumps and potholes. As the wheels are very small, if the fron wheel gets into one, it's very likely to get stuck inside, and the scooter willl kick you out just like a horse. You'll fly like Superman and fall on your belly. And believe me, it hurts a lot.

sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:19 pm

I have one of these type of electric scooters.

No good for the boat but a real hoot to ride and its good for about 30Kph or 20mph, get about 10 to 15 miles from the battery depending on how you ride

Gazmn
Admiral

Post by Gazmn » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:21 am

Good thoughts all. & John - that was hysterical :D :D

I think I got some sort of scooter bug while I was in Indonesia, this past November. Everyone rides one there :| Normally the gas version of sailboat Mike's pic. I like the sensibility of them & I'm sure they're a hoot. But it got me thinking short distance <3mis/5K commuting...

I did buy a kick model like Jota. & I also agree this is a fair weather venture Only. However, I got a Monster 2 wheeler that is out of this world fast & powerful !!One of these :|

This thing weighs about 75lbs. & you're a fool if you only wear a helmet for safety. I just ordered body armor & will consider a motorcycle helmet, rather than my bike helmets. But this one is Not for the boat. For that I'd use either the kicker or the green one I ordered. This Luna Apocalypse is A Whole 'Nother level! -Not for boat cruising... -Well... unless I do another Fl Keys Trip 8) ...

-But that would mean it's packed in the truck.