Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksSupport this Website
Forum Home

Mac 26M Boat lift/floating dock

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Re: Mac 26M Boat lift/floating dock

Postby Divecoz » Fri Aug 03, 2018 3:24 pm

Yep... standard USBoats 10,0000lb lift at my seawall ..Sorry I am so late in coming into this discussion .. For what its worth.. Mary Kate would have cleaned you floating dock "tubes" you could then coat with "Black Hawk " Anti fouling paint for inflatables Made IN Ft Myers Fla. Getting barnacles off isn't that difficult IF...You dont let them dry out and get hard .. I had an issue with my 24' Seaswirl Walk-around sitting at my seawall and NOT on the lift.. Long story short .. Sailboat off lift powerboat on Lift..... Powerboat out of water high enough to scrap off barnacles till arms were tired.. ( sitting in a Kayak :x ) Got tired lowered boat back into water.. DO NOT LET Barnacles Dry and Harden! I used a Lexan Windshield Ice Scraper I had brought down to FLa. in the center console of my 4x4. BUT yours were on a float so Mary Kate to the rescue spray on .... power wash off.... Bye Bye Marine Growth.. As you see I have 2 boats and the WindWing&Song 2005 26 :macm: sits IN the water and the Power boat is in the air / on the lift.. WHY? Anti Fouling slows the sailboat negligibly.. Anti fouling on a power boats reduces MPG and the dang thing is only getting about 3.5 mpg as it is and Anti-fouling reduces MPH at any RPM..

bedouin wrote:Looks like I may be able to buy a Hyrdohoist lift 9,000 pounds. That will do it. It is 15 years old but still works. Just need to make sure the bunks fit, and it is for a v hull so that is good.

Anyone ever put their :macm: on a lift?

TIA

Matthew
Divecoz
Admiral

Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Postby Brian » Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:42 pm

I have been using a 6000# Galva-Lift floating boat lift since 2001. My Mac has been on it since I purchased it new in August of 2005. My previous boat was stored on the lift for four years before that. It has the standard two bow to stern 2" x 6" boards which are parallel and placed about 38" apart. The lift has been great. Way cheaper than bottom paint, and as Dive mentioned bottom paint does slow you down.

One thing that you should be aware of though. The older boat lifts used galvanized steel tanks which rust out after about 20 years, even in fresh water. The tanks on my lift are rusting out and will need to be replaced soon. Make sure that if you purchase a floating boat lift that it has the newer plastic tanks. Especially if you intend to use it in salt water. Most of the older boat lifts used the galvanized steel tanks. Good luck with your purchase. I hope that you get as many years of service as I have.
Brian
Chief Steward

Location: Austin, TX 2006 26M "Soñador" white hull MACM0852G506 TLDI 90

Postby Divecoz » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:12 pm

My Lift doesn't use tanks its all aluminum except cables ( Those are SS) I live on salt water.. its direct drive no pulley's no belts .. http://www.boatliftus.com/cradle.php

Brian wrote:I have been using a 6000# Galva-Lift floating boat lift since 2001. My Mac has been on it since I purchased it new in August of 2005. My previous boat was stored on the lift for four years before that. It has the standard two bow to stern 2" x 6" boards which are parallel and placed about 38" apart. The lift has been great. Way cheaper than bottom paint, and as Dive mentioned bottom paint does slow you down.

One thing that you should be aware of though. The older boat lifts used galvanized steel tanks which rust out after about 20 years, even in fresh water. The tanks on my lift are rusting out and will need to be replaced soon. Make sure that if you purchase a floating boat lift that it has the newer plastic tanks. Especially if you intend to use it in salt water. Most of the older boat lifts used the galvanized steel tanks. Good luck with your purchase. I hope that you get as many years of service as I have.
Divecoz
Admiral

Location: PORT CHARLOTTE FLORIDA 05 M Mercury 50 H.P. Big Foot Bill at Boats 4 Sail is my Hero

Previous

Return to MacGregor Powersailor Discussion