Modifications for stability in rough water

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
DaveC426913
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Modifications for stability in rough water

Post by DaveC426913 »

whgoffrn wrote:... the conditions you described are the conditions that cause the most stress on the rudders and brackets ...so sailing on jib alone most likely would be the way to go but the scenario you described is what has broken a couple macgregor rudders and or bracket. If its just a short trip back to calmer seas I'm sure it would be ok but if you think its going to be a couple hours of sustained abuse to the rudders and or brackets I'd be chucking the drogue over
I just motored from Whitby to Etobicoke - 28nm - at about 7-8 knots, in 15 knot winds and 4 foot rivet-popper waves dead on the bow - with CB up but rudders down.

Might not have been something I'd do single-handed - but the Admiral is worth more than a broken rudder, so I chanced it.

Luckily, while there was certainly plenty of pitching, there was virtually zero yawing and rolling - so it was much easier on the hardware
whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn »

Just from my personal experiences our hull shape doesnt seem too bad in waves from the bow....the boats have a fairly sharp entry so they seem to slice through reasonably ok .... following seas are what the OP and also myself have noticed is where it struggles .... the hull being a hybrid shape is more "sailboat" in the front and flat planing hull in the back so in a following sea with large waves the front kinda digs in and and wants to follow the linear path of the hull (at least the front half) the rear being so flat will slide across the face of the wave... it's just the hybrid compromise we all accepted when we bought our boat.... sailboat in the front power boat in the back .... so when large waves hit the bow no big prob boat slices through throws spray everywhere looks real cool ...large following seas especially short duration steep ones gets a little sketchy
DaveC426913
Admiral

Post by DaveC426913 »

whgoffrn wrote: ... sailboat in the front power boat in the back ....
The MacGregor is the mullet of the marine world. :D
whgoffrn
Captain

Post by whgoffrn »

Lol funny but so true
sailboatmike
Admiral

Post by sailboatmike »

Not sure many boats are really comfortable with a swell coming in from the stern quarter, power sailors are slightly worse off because of their big fat square sterns with no rise to let the swell go under, like everything you learn things to minimise their effects and make the ride as comfortable as it can be, but yes I do know that horrible feeling as you take a wave on the stern quarter and the boat corkscrews on you, the jib is my best friend when it happens, pull some out and it stops the bow being pushed around and keeps the tracking as good as it can be all things considered
Ixneigh
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Ixneigh »

If it's crappy on the quarter that usually means wind. Sail.
Double reefs, and as much jib as she will carry. It's my favorite point of sail.
Ix