Thank You Health for getting the forum working again

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

kurz
Captain
Posts: 729
Joined: Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:07 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Zürich, Switzerland, Europe

Re: Thank You Health for getting the forum working again

Post by kurz » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:36 am

one question: When I use the same computer normally it goes to the last post I read. But sometimes I arrive 4 posts later than I have read bevore. So I do have to ge manually back not to loose an answer. Normal???

User avatar
RussMT
Admiral
Posts: 5527
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:01 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Bozeman, Montana "Luna Azul" 2008 M 70hp Suzi

Re: Thank You Health for getting the forum working again

Post by RussMT » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:32 pm

I just saw someone on FB who said he was unable to register as a new member. The CAPTCHA wasn't working he said.

Is there a way to test this or get Heath to take a look at it?


Image

User avatar
kmclemore
Site Admin
Posts: 5576
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:24 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Re: Thank You Health for getting the forum working again

Post by kmclemore » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:24 pm

I've brought this to Heath's attention multiple times, Russ. Perhaps if other folks also sent emails?

C Buchs
First Officer
Posts: 332
Joined: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:49 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Camas, WA; 2001 26X w/ 2000 Honda 50

Re: Thank You Health for getting the forum working again

Post by C Buchs » Thu Oct 11, 2018 5:09 pm

RussMT wrote:I just saw someone on FB who said he was unable to register as a new member. The CAPTCHA wasn't working he said.

Is there a way to test this or get Heath to take a look at it?


Image
I was working on my boat in front of the house and had a guy stop. He has an :macx: also. I told him about this site and he said he was having the same problem trying to become a member.

Jeff

User avatar
dlandersson
Admiral
Posts: 3400
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:00 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Chicago metro, USA

Re: Thank You Health for getting the forum working again

Post by dlandersson » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:38 am

Captcha can be a problem - not just here. Any way to get rid of it? I have had situations where it's an "endless loop" - always more images, 8)
C Buchs wrote:
RussMT wrote:I just saw someone on FB who said he was unable to register as a new member. The CAPTCHA wasn't working he said.

Is there a way to test this or get Heath to take a look at it?


Image
I was working on my boat in front of the house and had a guy stop. He has an :macx: also. I told him about this site and he said he was having the same problem trying to become a member.

Jeff

User avatar
kmclemore
Site Admin
Posts: 5576
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2004 12:24 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Ambler, PA -- MACX2018A898 w/ Tohatsu 50D -- 78 BW Harpoon 4.6 -- 2018 Tahoe 550TF w/ 150 Merc

Re: Thank You Health for getting the forum working again

Post by kmclemore » Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:16 am

Well, we need to have some sort of defense against 'bots and spammers. I've asked Heath to look into using Google's reCaptcha product, since that's becoming more commonly used and it's fairly effective without introducing the issues you noted.

K9Kampers
Admiral
Posts: 2343
Joined: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:32 am
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: NH, 2001 MacGregor X - Tohatsu 50 / 2013 Ford F150

Re: Thank You Health for getting the forum working again

Post by K9Kampers » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:48 am

Image

What if "reCAPTCHA V1 IS SHUTDOWN" were the actual confirmation code to type in?!!
:D :D

User avatar
RussMT
Admiral
Posts: 5527
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:01 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Bozeman, Montana "Luna Azul" 2008 M 70hp Suzi

Re: Thank You Health for getting the forum working again

Post by RussMT » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:53 pm

dlandersson wrote:Captcha can be a problem - not just here. Any way to get rid of it? I have had situations where it's an "endless loop" - always more images, 8)
C Buchs wrote:
RussMT wrote:I just saw someone on FB who said he was unable to register as a new member. The CAPTCHA wasn't working he said.

Is there a way to test this or get Heath to take a look at it?


Image
I was working on my boat in front of the house and had a guy stop. He has an :macx: also. I told him about this site and he said he was having the same problem trying to become a member.

Jeff
I've run phpBBS before and without CAPTCHA it gets infested with bot (fake) registrations and porn ads etc. You NEED some validation.

We all hate CAPTCHAs but they are important. Sometimes simple validation works well. Like "What is the first name of the boat builder this site is named after?"

Bottom line is without new members, a site will deteriorate. I've been promoting this site and didn't know it hasn't had new members all year.

--Russ

User avatar
dlandersson
Admiral
Posts: 3400
Joined: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:00 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Chicago metro, USA

Re: Thank You Health for getting the forum working again

Post by dlandersson » Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:42 am

No arguement regaqrding validation. Just not sure that CAPCHA's is the only way to go. :wink:

User avatar
RussMT
Admiral
Posts: 5527
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:01 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Bozeman, Montana "Luna Azul" 2008 M 70hp Suzi

Re: Thank You Health for getting the forum working again

Post by RussMT » Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:56 am

dlandersson wrote:No arguement regaqrding validation. Just not sure that CAPCHA's is the only way to go. :wink:
Agreed. I absolutely HATE the "photo" CAPTCHA.

"Choose the street signs". Does that include the pole it's mounted on? Arrrrg.



.

User avatar
RussMT
Admiral
Posts: 5527
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 2:01 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M
Location: Bozeman, Montana "Luna Azul" 2008 M 70hp Suzi

Re: Thank You Health for getting the forum working again

Post by RussMT » Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:11 pm

I realize Heath has a life and appreciate the massive task to rebuild the PHP tables here. Not to be too critical, but phpBB has auto db backup extensions.

But if he doesn't have time to maintain/fix the registration page, perhaps he needs to give someone admin rights or we should abandon this site and create a new one that can allow new members.

There is a wealth of great information here, but the search no longer works and without new members, it's just a club. I can no longer promote this site elsewhere.

--Russ

User avatar
Hamin' X
Site Admin
Posts: 3374
Joined: Sat Aug 27, 2005 8:02 pm
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X
Location: Hermiston, OR-----------2001 26X DF-50 Suz---------------(Now Sold)
Contact:

Re: Thank You Health for getting the forum working again

Post by Hamin' X » Mon Oct 29, 2018 7:35 pm

I could say that the way it is now makes my job as a Moderator a cake-walk, but I agree with you Russ. I just don't have the time to do it. Why don't you make Heath an offer he can't refuse. It would be wonderful to see the site updated and come alive again.

~Rich

Post Reply