Yamaha 60 hp

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Devocean
Just Enlisted
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Yamaha 60 hp

Post by Devocean »

Hi all, has anyone recently fitted a new Yamaha 60hp to a 26X , The reason I ask ,I'm thinking of changing my Yamaha 50 for a new 60 , the cowling on the 60 is about about 3 inches higher than the old 50 , so when measuring for tilted up its seem like it will come very close to the captains seat . I suppose the question is will it hit the seat in the full up position. Thanks
beene
Site Admin
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Yamaha 60 hp

Post by beene »

Why would you switch from a 50 to a 60?

Most likely wont see any performance boost

G
Be Free
Admiral

Post by Be Free »

You don't mention the specific models involved, but in the current versions the 50hp and 60hp are built on the same platform. This means that there is no weight difference between them. By my calculations, a 10HP increase on a 26X with no change in weight should result in just a hair over 2 knots increase in top speed. I would not change engines for 2 knots.
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

I could not agree more with the previous posts. What is your reasoning for such a minimal increase in horsepower?

Rsy
mallardjusted
First Officer
Location: Puget Sound, 2001 Sold Oct2021 "Aqua Dawg", 70hp Yam

Post by mallardjusted »

I upgraded to the Yamaha 70 in 2014. I used to have a Suzie 50 on my X. Absolutely no problem with space as you asked about. Actually, I also have a Yamaha 50 on my duckboat, and the 50 & 70 have the same profile ( I can interchange the cowlings if I wanted. If you can swing a few extra bucks for the 70, I highly recommend it. It is only about 7 lbs heavier than the 60 or 50, and you gain a lot (higher speeds, swings a bigger prop, etc).
NiceAft
Admiral
Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Post by NiceAft »

Mallard,

Just an inquiry; how much did your MPG drop with the twenty horsepower gain. There are not that people who I can ask the question too. A lot of theory, but little actual experience, so you’re the person to ask.

Ray
Devocean
Just Enlisted

Post by Devocean »

Thanks for the replays , to explain my position in a little more detail . Sometimes after lets say 16 years of wonderfull service from my 2002 Yamaha four stroke 50hp high thrust motor, one feels it's time to retire the 50, sooooo I thought the 2018 Yamaha 60hp high thrust was a reasonable replacement , not interested in more go as the 50 has suited the boat perfectly since I got her new in 2002 . Not sure about you guys outside of Oz but here we start the high thrusts at 60 hp , no 50 option . So I need to know who's got the current model Yamaha four stroke 60 high thrust on their 26 X and who had it installed keeping the original captains seat , that said will it hit or miss said seat as it will come closer than the early model 50 ,,,,I interested when motor is fully tilted up with out the installation of a tilt lift limiter .hope this all makes sence . Thanks again .
mallardjusted
First Officer
Location: Puget Sound, 2001 Sold Oct2021 "Aqua Dawg", 70hp Yam

Post by mallardjusted »

It should not hit the seat (mine does not). If you keep the speeds in the same range as the 50 or 60, there should be no difference in fuel economy (weight difference is very, very small). You might want to still consider the 70 just because it swings a bigger prop. I've noticed a big difference in docking, as the prop "grabbing" water gives more control.

Devocean
Just Enlisted

Post by Devocean »

Thanks Mallarjusted , appreciate the advice and picture
dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson »

FYI, I have a 50HP 97 Merc and it's doin' fine 8)
Devocean wrote: Wed Sep 12, 2018 6:33 pm Thanks for the replays , to explain my position in a little more detail . Sometimes after lets say 16 years of wonderfull service from my 2002 Yamaha four stroke 50hp high thrust motor, one feels it's time to retire the 50, sooooo I thought the 2018 Yamaha 60hp high thrust was a reasonable replacement , not interested in more go as the 50 has suited the boat perfectly since I got her new in 2002 . Not sure about you guys outside of Oz but here we start the high thrusts at 60 hp , no 50 option . So I need to know who's got the current model Yamaha four stroke 60 high thrust on their 26 X and who had it installed keeping the original captains seat , that said will it hit or miss said seat as it will come closer than the early model 50 ,,,,I interested when motor is fully tilted up with out the installation of a tilt lift limiter .hope this all makes sence . Thanks again .
Ozphotog
Just Enlisted

Post by Ozphotog »

I have a 2015 Yamaha 60hp which I think is the same size etc as the current model...clears the seat etc with no problem.
Ian Wharton
Macgregor 26x
Queensland Australia
kb7rnh

Post by kb7rnh »

Converted to Yamaha 60hp High Thrust

https://yamahaoutboards.com/en-us/home/ ... igh-thrust

Converted from Merc 60 Bigfoot.

This motor will stop you on a dime when you are in a canal or in a channel.

Total install cost in 2019 was 10k
Lucky Drifter
Chief Steward

Post by Lucky Drifter »

Hi Everyone
We have just ordered a Yamaha T60LB long shaft high thrust for our 26X. I would like some advice on best prop size please, also if anyone could post photos of the steering attachment setup.
Thanks for your help & advice
Len
Lucky Drifter
Chief Steward

Post by Lucky Drifter »

Hi kb7mh
Thanks for your advice. Did you go for the Dual Thrust propeller & what size ?
Cheers Len
OverEasy
Admiral

Post by OverEasy »

Lucky Drifter wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 1:42 pm Hi Everyone
We have just ordered a Yamaha T60LB long shaft high thrust for our 26X. I would like some advice on best prop size please, also if anyone could post photos of the steering attachment setup.
Thanks for your help & advice
Len
Hi Lucky Drifter!

We recently had our old 2001 Tohatsu 50 engine replaced with a new Suzuki DF60AV which their high thrust equivalent.
We love 💗 it!

From our experience with propping our new engine it is a very individual process as each boat is actually somewhat unique as far as it’s weight and modifications.

We were informed that there is no one specific prop per-se.
What was recommended was to test the engine/vessel/ prop combination at full power with and w/o ballast and the boat loaded as you expect to use it most of the time.
One would want to be able to get as near to max recommended continuous engine rpm while under way without exceeding it.
You don’t want to over rev the engine or have the engine computer rpm limiter kick in while you still have throttle movement left.
You equally don’t want to adversely limit restrict the rpm too low, or ‘lug’ the engine, which is bad for the engine.
The factory wants you to get the most performance, longevity and reliability out of your engine.

Congratulations!

Best Regards
Over Easy 😎😎🐩🐈