New Forestay into CDI Furler help

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
nedmiller
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

New Forestay into CDI Furler help

Post by nedmiller »

I purchased the 5/32 inch forestay from BWY to replace a frayed forestay in my CDI Furler on my 26X. I don’t seem to be able to get the old forestay out without cutting it. I don’t mind doing that but if I do, I will still need to screw the new forestay into the turnbuckle, which I will not be able to see because the forestay will be too short to provide that much space to see the turnbuckle.
Also, if you replace the forestay into a CDI furler is it Stiff enough to just push down the length of the mast or do I have to tape them together or use an electrical fish or??
I have emailed Bluewater Yachts to see if they have advice.
Thanks in advance for any help!
Tomfoolery
Admiral

Re: New Forestay into CDI Furler help

Post by Tomfoolery »

You have to pull the pin and slide the furler up the foil to get access to the turnbuckle. Even the original 1/8" forestay will just push through the foil, so no worries there. :wink:
nedmiller
First Officer

Re: New Forestay into CDI Furler help

Post by nedmiller »

Thank you so much! I also got a response from Todd at Bluewater Yachts. Here is his complete response for people in the future who have the same issue that I had.

It sounds like you might not have removed the “luff support pin” which allows you to slide the drum assembly up the luff extrusion, this gives easy access to the turnbuckle. The pin runs crosswise through the neck of the drum assembly near the top. Take the cotter ring off, pull the pin and then you can freely slide the drum up. If the sail is on the furler and is tied down very tight to the drum you may need to slide it up some to get the drum up. Also be aware, if the person who set the furler up when new cut the luff extrusion to the maximum possible length it may be a little too long for the new head stay, this is because the crimp fittings at the top take up a little more room on the heavier wire. If this is the case just cut about an inch off of the luff.