Friends' boat just went down

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Catigale, Paul S, Heath_Mod, beene, Hamin' X, kmclemore, tangentair

Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg

Re: Friends' boat just went down

Post by Gazmn » Sun Dec 23, 2018 2:07 pm

:D :D
Combat Service Medal...

‘Nuff Said :P

Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL
Captain
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Post by Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL » Mon Dec 24, 2018 9:57 am

If he was at Anzio, he was probably in the army, which does not have a "Combat Service Medal". It does have the CIB "Combat Infantryman Badge", which requires an infantry MOS.

Catigale
Site Admin
Location: Admiral .............Catigale 2002X.......Lots of Harpoon Hobie 16 Skiffs....Island 17

Post by Catigale » Mon Dec 24, 2018 12:13 pm

He’s the real deal

I probably misquoted him.

He has a point.

From Flags of our Fathers, “the ones you know are heroes didn’t come back.”

dlandersson
Admiral

Post by dlandersson » Wed Dec 26, 2018 9:19 am

In the army, "CSM" usually means "Command Segeant Major" - I confess I was a tad confused. :P

There is a "Bronze Star Medal Assc."

http://www.bronzestarmedal.org/
Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL wrote:If he was at Anzio, he was probably in the army, which does not have a "Combat Service Medal". It does have the CIB "Combat Infantryman Badge", which requires an infantry MOS.

Herschel
Captain

Post by Herschel » Wed Dec 26, 2018 4:46 pm

Catigale wrote:
Bill at BOATS 4 SAIL wrote:Sailboat racing is not racing. Trying to beat .51 cal tracer rounds out of a hot LZ is racing.
My neighbor ( combat in Anzio, Korea, and two tours in VietnNam shut down the VFW with “ if you don’t have a CSM you aren’t a vet you were a government worker “

Ouch, that’s harsh. Didn’t argue it with him
You were no doubt wise not to get drawn into his "issues" with other vets. I have run across some pretty tough cases myself who seemed to just look right through you if you hadn't served in one of their units or their "neck of the woods". I am a Vietnam vet of two tours (Navy) but readily admit many others had a much tougher duty. I shared my concern about that just a few years after returning home with a work colleague that was a USMC 2nd LT in Vietnam and had been pretty severely wounded. No vet with an ounce of honor wants to present himself or herself in any exaggerated way. My dear colleague who became a good friend, looked at me and said, "Hersch, you were there, you did your duty to the best of your ability, you got shot at, you made it though your tours, and you came home. I am proud to know you and count you a brother." That is the kind of grace and respect that I appreciated so much and what I try to show my fellow vets. I chair the committee at my church that participates as a partner with the Pentagon Office of the Vietnam War 50th Anniversary Commemorative Program. We are assisting with trying to honor all surviving members of the Vietnam War era where ever they served in the world with public recognition at an appropriate event and present them with a commemorative lapel pin. So far our committee has honored about 75 men (the whole program: over 2 million), and they have been extremely touched. One, a retired USMC member, and a retired LA cop, broke into tears when I attached his pin to his shirt. This past Veterans Day, we had a 99 year old WWII airborne ranger present the pin to 12 vets at the Sunday service, and we honored four widows of Vietnam era vets, too. After the service, one old vet came up to me and remarked, "That was the most meaningful religious service I have attended n my life". But, I do readily honor each veteran's position about these matters. They have earned the right to deal with their service any way they want. Myself, I will honor every veteran regardless of the nature of their duty. Clearly some are true warriors and deserve their due, and all who don't make it back from combat, or get killed in the line of duty some other way, deserve our undying gratitude. If anyone is interested in the program, here is the website at the pentagon. https://www.vietnamwar50th.com/

Y.B.Normal
First Officer
Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Post by Y.B.Normal » Fri Dec 28, 2018 10:32 pm

During and after Nam, I found that the vets who bragged the most about their "action" saw the least ACTUAL "action."

My brother was a Huey pilot in Nam, 6 months gunship, 6 months medivac. He talked a lot about his gunship flights, not a word about getting in the sh** in his medivac flights.

Gazmn
Admiral
Location: Bayside, NY '97X, E-tec 115 Pontoon, The "Ollie Gray" & '01 Chevy Tahoe W/ Tow Pkg

Post by Gazmn » Sun Dec 30, 2018 10:58 pm

I think I need to qualify my 2 scotch, armchair logic & off the cuff comment. I made an assumption regarding CSM. & while done with no malice & the Best of intentions, you know what happens when you ass-u-me... :D :D

So guys... my bad, I “assumed” what CSM meant. Nevertheless, I’m thankful & grafteful for the sacrifices made to ensure our freedom & ability to enjoy our lives & website :)

Sorry I muddied up the waters Dl’s Command Sargent Major is the only “official” reference I could find too :P

I’m grateful to ALL veterans who have served & wish them GodSpeed & God’s Grace...

All gave some, Some gave All...