Weighed our 2003 26X today.

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats
Tomfoolery
Admiral
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Re: Weighed our 2003 26X today.

Post by Tomfoolery »

mallardjusted wrote:I'm not sure if the "dry weights" include mast and sails?
I suspect it includes mast and main sail and boom, but nothing else. Nothing. For some reason, I seem to remember the jib for the X was an option. :P
Starscream
Admiral

Post by Starscream »

Before the original post, I thought that my X was likely under 4,500 lbs, based on math similar to what Mallardjusted posted. Mallard...is that 4,280 lbs calculated or weighed?

It would be nice to have more actual measurements to get a broader picture. I'll try to get my X on one this year, and since a buddy of mine has a commercial scale at one of his warehouses I just have to find the time to detour over there.

Even with that 4,280 lb data point I'm glad to have the 6k lb rating on the new trailer and tow vehicle.
mallardjusted
First Officer
Location: Puget Sound, 2001 Sold Oct2021 "Aqua Dawg", 70hp Yam

Post by mallardjusted »

That is calculated weight. And if true that dry weight includes mast and main sail and boom, I'm probably a little less than that (100 lbs????).

I agree on the trailer rating, mine is dual axle, weighs 990 lbs, and is rated for 5925 lbs. And my tow vehicle is a Powerstroke F-350, so I can tow 3 or 4 macs at a time! :D
ris
Captain

Post by ris »

mallardjusted sent you a pm
Bobsquatch
Deckhand

Post by Bobsquatch »

I found this thread interesting. I have a 2002 :macx: on its original trailer. I also have a 2002 F550 diesel 4x4 so towing and launching/retrieving are not an issue except for the underrated stock trailer limits. (Still only seats 6) What intrigues me is our non US brothers and sisters rules and attitudes toward towing. It appears to me that they take a much more serious approach to their laws and vehicle limitations and I respect that. (I wish we did here) I cant tell you how many times I have seen a 1/2 ton pickup full of people pulling a 10,000lb trailer with a bed full of gear doing 75 mph dragging safety chains and pointing headlights into outer space. Most of us are ignorant of the law and think our big V8 trucks can pull anything. In our booming economy, (which is about to turn) many people have more money than sense. Law enforcement is overwhelmed even though the fines are high. They have been cracking down for several years now since the grossly overloaded vehicles are easy to spot but most of the less obvious overloads go unnoticed. I find it funny that we have the most vehicles and the least respect for the rules their limitations.