Our MacGregorExploringArticlesAbout this Website
ManualsDealer InfoSailing LinksSupport this Website
Forum Home

Back in the water

A forum for discussing topics relating to MacGregor Powersailor Sailboats

Moderators: Paul S, tangentair, beene, Heath_Mod, Hamin' X, kmclemore, Catigale

Back in the water

Postby Ixneigh » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:28 am

Boats finally back in. In late this year due to our local yard, where I had the boat removed from the trailer to paint the bottom, operating on island time.
I got a quote from them to remove all the antifouling paint, and apply 3 coats of interprotect 2000. They are friendly, but disorganized. It took way longer than it should have. Next time I will rent a compressor and do it my self with a harbor freight air sander. That is THE ONLY way to sand boat bottoms. Period. Full stop.
The yard was doing it with heavy boshe grinders. They did a fair job with a young strong guy, but I could have done it better. I was pressed for time at work, and had I known it was going to take that long, I would have just told them to forget it.
The equipment there as of now, is in poor shape. Boat stands are rusty. The lift needed repair before they could launch my boat.
I used a copper powder epoxy resin coating this year. I wanted something that would hold up to trailering. I cant recommend it for casual users. The application was problematical. However there is a product called "smooth sailing" that also uses the copper powder in a teflon base. I used that to paint the boat stand patches before launch, and much preferred the application, plus, it dries quickly. It is not as hard as the epoxy. But I get to test both products this year.
The epoxy is supposed to last up to ten years. I mixed the coating myself, using 2.5 lbs of copper per quart, and used three quarts to put two coats on, plus an extra where the boat takes the bottom when I'm in shallow water. I used LVX epoxy, with the slow hardener In 80 degree weather. I had a lot of runs, that needed to be rolled out. On the final application, I let the mixture sit in the bucket for a while. This solved my application complaints. It was getting sticky right about the time I finished rolling it on, instead of staying drippy for hours.
I feel a lot better about the coating application now, with some trial and error, but still dont recommend it unless you have prior experience with epoxy. The brand, temp, humidity, and type of hardener will all affect the outcome. I can only say I know how to get good coverage with LVX slow resin on an 80 degree day.
I also had new cockpit cushions made and some for inside. Those cost a couple boat bucks. Lastly, a new garmin chart plotter to replace the lowrance that went on the fritz last year.

Ix
Ixneigh
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26M

Re: Back in the water

Postby Sumner » Fri Nov 30, 2018 10:51 am

Congrats on being back in the water.

Ixneigh wrote:..... Next time I will rent a compressor and do it my self with a harbor freight air sander. That is THE ONLY way to sand boat bottoms. Period. Full stop....Ix

HF also has an electrica DA sander now....

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-57-amp-heavy-duty-dual-action-variable-speed-polisher-69924.html

.... I bought one and have used it a little and so far happy with it. Avoids having to have an air compressor,

Sumner

============================
1300 miles to the Bahamas and back -- 2015

The MacGregor 26-S

The Endeavour 37

Trips to Utah, Wyoming, Idaho, Canada, Florida

Mac-Venture Links
Sumner
Admiral

Sailboat: MacGregor 26S

Postby Ixneigh » Fri Nov 30, 2018 4:21 pm

That's similar to what the yard guys were using. It's too heavy (for me) to use overhead.

Ix
Ixneigh
Admiral

Postby Ixneigh » Sun Dec 02, 2018 4:28 pm

Took the boat out this afternoon.
Rudders work well. I was concerned that the foil section was different than the rudder craft one. No difference, if anything, better.
The new rudders carry the thickness back a bit.
Down hauls are a bit problematical since I did change that knot arrangement, but I know how to fix it.
The new running back stays work as expected. And are a pain. As expected. I'll never be without them again. I used 3/8 dyneema, plenty strong, but the hardware aloft was on the light side since the system was untried. I'll replace that next year with the proper hardware. I may install a dedicated anchor point instead of the stanchion base by the winch.
The new large Garmin plotter is a delight. The mount is too big for the pedestal, maybe I can improve the cosmetics by making a fiberglass "cap" that fits on the top of it. Or making a new mount that fits the pedestal better. New cockpit cushions are great, but dogs already track dirt all over the white vinyl. I had considered black. They said I was insane.

Ix
Ixneigh
Admiral

Postby NiceAft » Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:30 pm

“I had considered black. They said I was insane. “

Yes, they are correct, but only because of vinyl. I have had black Sunbrella for cockpit cushions for twelve years. They are terrific. No burning when you sit in them. No sweating and making puddle’s. The contrast against white is attractive. All good things, except the price, but very much worth it. Twelve years and going strong, and still look in great shape.

Ray
NiceAft
Admiral

Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Postby paul I » Mon Dec 03, 2018 1:08 pm

I think if you are in a cooler northern climate, black sunbrella cushions are fine and work well. I'd be a bit more worried about using them in a hot, tropical climate like Ixneigh deals with. I'd also be more worried with any type of dark colored vinyl in a hot climate.
paul I
First Officer

Location: Niagara Falls, NY 2000 26X w/Honda BF50 "NoneShallPass"
Sailboat: MacGregor 26X

Postby NiceAft » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:08 pm

paul I wrote:I think if you are in a cooler northern climate, black sunbrella cushions are fine and work well. I'd be a bit more worried about using them in a hot, tropical climate like Ixneigh deals with. I'd also be more worried with any type of dark colored vinyl in a hot climate.

North, south, or in the middle, 90+ degrees F (32.2+ C) is hot no matter where you are :D

Old Ben Franklin over 200 years ago did his test with colored fabrics placed in the snow to prove that dark colors absorb the Sun’s rays and get’s hot. To that, there is no dispute. 8) Sunbrella does an excellent job of being comfortable to sit on when the temperature is on the rise, both on not getting hot, and not making puddles :) Vinyl on the other hand, you might be able to fry an egg :D

Ray
NiceAft
Admiral

Location: Upper Dublin,PA, USA: 2005M 50hp.Honda4strk.,1979 Phantom Sport Sailboat, 9'Achilles 6HP Merc 4strk

Postby Highlander » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:02 pm

Ray
Makin puddles on ur cushions is that the same thing wet dreams r made of :?: & don,t tell me that all depends on :!:

J :P
Highlander
Admiral

Location: Maccutter26M 2008 75HP Merc. 4/S Victoria BC. Can. ' An Hileanto'ir III '

Postby NiceAft » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:28 pm

Highlander wrote:Ray
Makin puddles on ur cushions is that the same thing wet dreams r made of :?: & don,t tell me that all depends on :!:

J :P

Do tell us John. :P :D

Ray
NiceAft
Admiral

Return to MacGregor Powersailor Discussion